Suspension TECH Including Brakes, Wheels and tires

Old 03-08-2021, 04:43 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Broken Lower Rear Shock Mount

When I replaced the shocks on my 66 Bonneville, I did notice that the lower mounting hole had been "wallowed out" a bit. The shock that was in it wasn't tight, so I'm guessing that's what did it. I'd also bet the air shocks didn't help that situation if they were over inflated. I saw that it was thin on the bottom, but figured the clamping force of the bolt would hold it in place pretty well. Obviously I was mistaken.

I'm trying to think of the best way to repair this. (Without taking the entire rear end off and welding on a new support bracket that is. )

I'm guessing I could weld a plate with a hole in it to the back. I've got both 1/4 and 1/8" plate pieces.

Or...???

Anyone have any other ideas?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Shock mount.jpg
Views:	132
Size:	8.6 KB
ID:	562304  

Old 03-08-2021, 06:13 PM
Ultimate Warrior

MIG weld the hole shut, rebuild the bracket by weaving the bead. Grind it flat, contour the bracket to match the other side, redrill the hole.

The repair can be made with the axle in the car by anyone that can weld properly. Maybe a couple hours worth of work.

1984 Grand Prix

100% Pontiacs in my driveway!!! What's in your driveway?

If you don't take some of the RACETRACK home with you, Ya got cheated

Old 03-10-2021, 01:30 PM
Suspended

Just bolt a piece of 1/8" steel plate to the rear end and drill the hold were the old one was... I've done this many times it works well.. Use short 3/8" nuts and bolts to hold the plate on. You might want to do both sides..