Old 03-10-2021, 08:12 PM

Default Gasket kit question

Why is it so hard for me to find a gasket kit that has all the gaskets to change a cam? Most of the kits don't include the valley pan gasket and some don't have intake gaskets. I found a Tri-power set up for my 66 after getting the PHS documentation that it was born as a tri-power. I want to change the cam while I'm in there but don't seem to be able to match up a kit. Does anyone have a list of what individual gaskets are needed? I expect that if I have to go that route they'll cost $800 at O'reilly's.

Mearl

66 GTO 389 4 spd
76 T/A needs everything+
77 T/A original, needs restored
78 T/A WS6, SBC400, fun but needs work
Old 03-11-2021, 09:04 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Timing cover -FEL-PRO TCS45166 Intake -FEL-PRO MS9980 Valley pan -FEL-PRO PS13832C All on Rock Auto... looks like that would about cover it for around $50.

Old 03-12-2021, 04:34 AM
Ultimate Warrior

The cost of individual gaskets or even partial kits is ridiculous and why many of us just simply order out a full engine gasket kit from Summit like the FelPro 260-1025 for $65.99. The other close one is the old standby FelPro KS2616 for $4 more.

Probably also why I have 30 sets of intake gaskets and 20 pair of head gaskets around. Even when going with specialized head or intake gaskets, it still pays to order out the complete kit for the majority of gaskets that are going to be used.

Old 03-12-2021, 04:47 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by lust4speed View Post
The cost of individual gaskets or even partial kits is ridiculous and why many of us just simply order out a full engine gasket kit from Summit like the FelPro 260-1025 for $65.99. The other close one is the old standby FelPro KS2616 for $4 more.

Probably also why I have 30 sets of intake gaskets and 20 pair of head gaskets around. Even when going with specialized head or intake gaskets, it still pays to order out the complete kit for the majority of gaskets that are going to be used.
That's why I have a whole file drawer marked "gaskets".

Old 03-12-2021, 09:59 PM

Thanks guys, I hadn't even thought of Rock auto. I ordered the full gasket kit and the valley pan kit. Total with shipping was $90.90, it cost twice as much to ship the valley gasket as it cost to buy it, it comes from a different location.
Mearl

Old 03-12-2021, 10:06 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saubrenner View Post
Thanks guys, I hadn't even thought of Rock auto. I ordered the full gasket kit and the valley pan kit. Total with shipping was $90.90, it cost twice as much to ship the valley gasket as it cost to buy it, it comes from a different location.
Mearl
Next time, use the $4 valley cover gasket in a tube, RTV. GM quit making Pontiac valley cover gaskets in 1973 and used RTV. It's all I've used since then, works perfectly if done as per directions. It's also more forgiving if you valley pan isn't in perfect condition.

1984 Grand Prix

100% Pontiacs in my driveway!!! What's in your driveway?

If you don't take some of the RACETRACK home with you, Ya got cheated

Old 03-14-2021, 06:50 AM

That explains why the gasket doesn't come in the kit, I wondered if RTV wouldn't work. I'll know better when I put my 455 together.

Mearl

66 GTO 389 4 spd
76 T/A needs everything+
77 T/A original, needs restored
78 T/A WS6, SBC400, fun but needs work
Old 03-15-2021, 02:03 AM
Ultimate Warrior

The two FelPro gasket sets I referenced did include the valley pan gasket. I use Ultra Gray for the aftermarket aluminum sheet valley covers but still prefer the use of a gasket on the stock valley pan. RTV makes an excellent seal, but to the point where a sharp blade needs to be inserted the complete perimeter to slice the RTV. A lot more work to remove and much more cleanup with a rag across the inside valley in the hopes of not getting slivers and shards of RTV inside the engine.

We all hope that we put our engines together and won''t revisit them until 100,000 miles or more in the future, but with the lifter problems today you just don't know that a quicker fix might be required. I would always use RTV if there was a promise I wouldn't be the one getting the pan back off.