Old 03-23-2021, 08:01 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Up to $23,600 with three days to go. This auction will probably set a record for an auto on column. non-running 69 hardtop.

Old 03-23-2021, 08:15 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1969 Ram Air View Post
Up to $23,600 with three days to go. This auction will probably set a record for an auto on column. non-running 69 hardtop.
6 months ago I could not sell a 77TA locally or on facebook. Put it on EBAY and sold at my reserve and they came and picked it up. EBAY has the audience.

Old 03-26-2021, 11:04 AM
Ultimate Warrior

$25,400 with 10 hours to go. People really like Crystal Turquoise.

Old 03-26-2021, 11:09 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Don't know if this was already mentioned but I just noticed that the rear seat bottom is missing. Not mentioned in the description. Maybe it was removed to examine the floor?

Old 03-26-2021, 11:47 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Reid View Post
Don't know if this was already mentioned but I just noticed that the rear seat bottom is missing. Not mentioned in the description. Maybe it was removed to examine the floor?
A note was added to the auction on 22nd of March - "YES, WE DO HAVE THE BACK SEAT. It is complete, original upholstery, and in very good original condition. Please call Gordon (number at bottom of description) for up to 100 additional photos and any questions you may have.PLEASE NOTE. While of the odometer reads 33,842 we have no way of knowing if the odometer has been turned over. The now deceased owner was a military officer and GTO travel with him to 4 different states. It was only on the road between 1969 and 1985. Certainly not 233,842 but could very well be 133,842. His brother, now 74, stated his brother did not drive it much."

1970 GTO (Granada Gold) - 400 / TH400
The Following User Says Thank You to vertigto For This Useful Post:
Old 03-30-2021, 12:44 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sidponcho View Post
I've been communicating with the owner. She has a replacement carb. And he swears the single snorkel is original
That air cleaner is from a 70 “non-performance” 4 bbl like a 400 GP or a 360 horse 455 full-size. Maybe someone at the dealer wanted a nice chrome dual snorkel for his new 70 GP and did a swap?

1969 LeMans Safari 2 seat Wagon
1969 GTO (2 Cvt, 2 Hardtops & Judge Hardtop)
1969 Catalina (3 Cvt’s & a 2dr hardtop)
1969 Ventura 2 Seat Wagon
1969 Executive 4dr Sedan
1969 Bonnie Cvt
1969 Bonnie 3 Seat Wagon (2 of them)
1969 Bonnie Brougham (4dr Hardtop & Cvt)
1969 Grand Prix SJ (2 of them)
1969 2+2 2dr Hardtop (Canadian model)
Old 03-31-2021, 08:42 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

$25,400 at the hammer
Just to fix the rust and get the body in primer is >$10K
Another $10K for paint
+ + +

Old 03-31-2021, 09:31 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
$25,400 at the hammer
Just to fix the rust and get the body in primer is >$10K
Another $10K for paint
+ + +
Then get it running, new brakes, cooling, exhaust....good times.

Old 03-31-2021, 10:10 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I wouldn't spend nearly that much to get that car where I'd want it. I understand though that my standards are way below some.
I'd get it mechanically sound, do most of the body work myself and get it sprayed. Maybe not even do anything beyond fixing the rusted through areas and spot prime it. Probably drive it just like that. Maybe 5 or 6 grand.

The Following User Says Thank You to Greg Reid For This Useful Post:
Old 03-31-2021, 10:28 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
I wouldn't spend nearly that much to get that car where I'd want it. I understand though that my standards are way below some.
I'd get it mechanically sound, do most of the body work myself and get it sprayed. Maybe not even do anything beyond fixing the rusted through areas and spot prime it. Probably drive it just like that. Maybe 5 or 6 grand.
You haven't priced anything in a long time!

Old 03-31-2021, 10:49 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Nor would I. You and I probably have about the same standards I would say. It really wouldn't take much to get the car presentable and just drive.

Old 03-31-2021, 11:28 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Yeah, seriously. Just get it mechanically ready to go and drive it. Sure, it's got some rust and dents\dings, but who cares? It's not a show car. This is the type of car that someone would take a perfectly driveable car with flaws and strip it down to a shell and get bored halfway through, then sell the remains on eBay and everyone says "why didn't they just drive it?"

Old 03-31-2021, 11:49 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I'm kind of a one man show down here and I do most of my own work. That's what I mean about my standards being not as high as a lot of guys on this site. I'm not one of those guys that need the bolt heads to have the correct markings on them or date coded spark plug wires. Not knocking it, it just ain't me. I kinda like these cars the way they were in the 1980s. Old but not so old they were put up on a pedestal.

Last edited by Greg Reid; 03-31-2021 at 11:56 AM.
Old 03-31-2021, 12:22 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I don't think some people realize just how much labor us schmucks are willing to do ourselves MIG wire, some sheet metal, abrasive products, primer ..... a few hundred bucks and lots of labor and you've done something that another guy would have paid $5K for. No we don't count our hourly labor, I don't pay myself for watching TV either, no we don't count the equipment expense that we'd have in the shop anyway like compressors and such, no we don't count the power since I'd be in the shop fixing a toaster or something anyway

I'll have about $15K in my 68 GTO when I'm done, including paint (not show paint), that includes about $4K for the engine (done myself), half new Legendary interior, only "new" sheet metal is the repop core support, tranny rebuild myself, same with all the mechanicals. Bought the car for $1100 in 1976 and drove it for five years or more.

All said and done driving down the road, including original purchase price ... ehhh, about $20K I guess if I count sandpaper and supplies

Big difference paying other people to do the work compared to doing it yourself, and the majority of the time YOU will do a better job on your car than someone else will.

Old 03-31-2021, 01:36 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Sure, just pack all the rust holes with horse hair and drive it. That's an option

Old 03-31-2021, 01:53 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Sure, just pack all the rust holes with horse hair and drive it. That's an option
That or cut the rust out, weld new metal in, bodywork the new metal, spray a little primer and drive it.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to John Milner For This Useful Post:
Old 03-31-2021, 03:32 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by dataway View Post
I don't think some people realize just how much labor us schmucks are willing to do ourselves MIG wire, some sheet metal, abrasive products, primer ..... a few hundred bucks and lots of labor and you've done something that another guy would have paid $5K for. No we don't count our hourly labor, I don't pay myself for watching TV either, no we don't count the equipment expense that we'd have in the shop anyway like compressors and such, no we don't count the power since I'd be in the shop fixing a toaster or something anyway

I'll have about $15K in my 68 GTO when I'm done, including paint (not show paint), that includes about $4K for the engine (done myself), half new Legendary interior, only "new" sheet metal is the repop core support, tranny rebuild myself, same with all the mechanicals. Bought the car for $1100 in 1976 and drove it for five years or more.

All said and done driving down the road, including original purchase price ... ehhh, about $20K I guess if I count sandpaper and supplies

Big difference paying other people to do the work compared to doing it yourself, and the majority of the time YOU will do a better job on your car than someone else will.
Exactly...to have someone else do that your probably talking 3-4x that.

1970 GTO (Granada Gold) - 400 / TH400
The Following User Says Thank You to vertigto For This Useful Post:
Old 03-31-2021, 06:54 PM
Ultimate Warrior

You could use spray foam like I do on my 1978 Prospector woods truck

Old 03-31-2021, 09:58 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Yeah, some professional sprayed expanding foam in several rust holes in my car. Another one put a trunk pan on top of the rusted out original. An amateur, me, repaired those issues but not being a pro, it took me years. Good thing l give myself a great hourly rate.
What l mean is, just because we do our own work doesn't mean we can't have standards. Heck, that's what it's all about for me... driving something I 'built'.

Old 03-31-2021, 10:50 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I liked the car the way it is. For those that want to drive a classic and not have to worry about it all the time, it would be perfect.
I paint for a living and yeah I know this stuff isn't cheap to do and do them right. We also drive them daily and those particular classics I prefer them a.little worn around the edges. Once I paint one it's seldom driven lol.
I'd leave that goat the way it is rust and all and have fun with it. Hell in AZ that rust won't go anywhere anyway and as long as the floors aren't yabadabadoo I'd just drive it.
I even showed this one to dad and offered to go get it. Would make a perfect daily driver for him as is.

https://youtu.be/XqEydRRRwqE