Old 03-21-2021, 01:54 PM

Default Clutch pedal bushing

I noticed my CLUTCH ROD TO PEDAL NYLON BUSHING is cracked/very worn and fallen down to the other (firewall) end of the rod. (I moved it up into place when taking the picture for demo purpose.)

I can order this bushing. Is it sorta important?

Also, if I remove the cotter pin, the rod won't move back out of place unless the clutch is depressed...which I assume one must do from underneath to relieve pressure from the rod-pedal connection?

Or is there another way?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	clutch pedal washer.jpg
Views:	141
Size:	46.3 KB
ID:	563081  

Old 03-21-2021, 06:15 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Disconnect the clutch adjustment rod down at the bellhousing and you'll be able to move the clutch pedal wherever you need to in order to remove the cotter pin. Yes, replace the worn piece. Hopefully the rod or attachment point is not worn/hogged out.

The Following User Says Thank You to gtospieg For This Useful Post:
Old 03-21-2021, 07:48 PM

Is it difficult to access this connection point under the car?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Old 03-21-2021, 08:10 PM
Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilot737 View Post
Is it difficult to access this connection point under the car?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
Not sure what year you have, but mine is '68. I enclosed a diagram of it. I would undo the rod at the "Z-bar", or what is called the "counter shaft" in the diagram. You should have some play in the clutch pedal/linkage and can pull the cotter pin out at the Z-bar. This should allow you to move the clutch pedal to access the cotter pin better and get the clutch rod out.

Not sure why the washer? I think that is a bandaide fix. Most likely you are going to find that the clutch rod and the hole in the clutch pedal where it attaches to be wallowed out. Now is the time to repair all this.

Pics of my worn out clutch rod end and wallowed out clutch pedal hole.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	1968 Clutch Pedal & Linkage.JPG
Views:	99
Size:	64.7 KB
ID:	563099   Click image for larger version

Name:	06  Clutch Pedal.JPG
Views:	96
Size:	9.8 KB
ID:	563100   Click image for larger version

Name:	05  Clutch Pedal.JPG
Views:	101
Size:	20.1 KB
ID:	563102  

The Following User Says Thank You to PontiacJim1959 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-22-2021, 08:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PontiacJim1959 View Post
Not sure what year you have, but mine is '68. I enclosed a diagram of it. I would undo the rod at the "Z-bar", or what is called the "counter shaft" in the diagram. You should have some play in the clutch pedal/linkage and can pull the cotter pin out at the Z-bar. This should allow you to move the clutch pedal to access the cotter pin better and get the clutch rod out.

Not sure why the washer? I think that is a bandaide fix. Most likely you are going to find that the clutch rod and the hole in the clutch pedal where it attaches to be wallowed out. Now is the time to repair all this.

Pics of my worn out clutch rod end and wallowed out clutch pedal hole.
I have 67 GTO. To be clear, I can remove the cotter pin but the linkage will not slide out of the hole because another part of the car is in the way when the clutch is fully released. I'll need to disconnect the rod at the other end (as you instructed) so I can move the clutch pedal down without having a ton of pressure against moving it.

Ames sells the bushing, part R167BF, clutch rod to pedal nylon bushing. So I don't think it's a band-aid fix.

Old 03-22-2021, 06:23 PM
Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilot737 View Post
I have 67 GTO. To be clear, I can remove the cotter pin but the linkage will not slide out of the hole because another part of the car is in the way when the clutch is fully released. I'll need to disconnect the rod at the other end (as you instructed) so I can move the clutch pedal down without having a ton of pressure against moving it.

Ames sells the bushing, part R167BF, clutch rod to pedal nylon bushing. So I don't think it's a band-aid fix.
OK, the '68 is different and does not use that nylon bushing as you can see in the diagram.

I was thinking you were referring to the nylon bushing/steel sleeve that the clutch/brake pedal swings on from the bracket. You can see it in my '68 diagram, upper right. A nylon bushing goes on each end of the clutch pedal and then the brake pedal. I replaced mine with all new. I enclosed a photo of the old parts that get replaced by a kit.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	1968 Pedal Bushings.JPG
Views:	94
Size:	107.7 KB
ID:	563161  

Old 03-23-2021, 10:17 AM
Ultimate Warrior

A HURST Pit Pak set of nylon bushings for shifter linkage fits and works well. Several years ago I informed AMES of this and they now off this "bushing". Not sure if they took my advice or not.

Tim john---

The Following User Says Thank You to Tim john For This Useful Post: