Old 03-24-2021, 12:33 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Getting the ‘67 roadworthy

We’ve been working on the ‘67 LeMans since it warmed up a bit. It’s only been the last couple of days. I’m running into a couple of small issues. The motor seems to run good, but not quite purring. I checked everywhere for a vacuum leak but couldn’t find one. I will try again after work. I’m not sure that I’m enthused about this aftermarket Edelbrock intake manifold. I put the gasket/steel/gasket sandwich for the carb. The car hadn’t been started in a while, so I dumped a little bit of fuel down the carb. It ran out one side, seemingly between the carb and manifold. But maybe the carb itself had a problem? Between the body and base plate?
I went to check the timing and it seemed good, but either way I couldn’t turn the distributor even after really loosening the hold down. Could it be stuck? We intend to go electronic so it’s going to have to come out at some time. Other than that, the car has a lot of leaks that we need to address.
Here’s a shot of the car after we installed the exhaust. Crawling around under there is not fun. I’ve had those ‘67 spinner wheel covers for years so I threw them on. One of the best wheel covers they made in my opinion. We’ll be throwing on the 15” rallye’s with the fat tires from the Tempest later.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	9C201FE7-C189-4524-881C-F2B510E50654.jpg
Views:	199
Size:	92.6 KB
ID:	563268  

Old 03-24-2021, 03:57 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Are you using a base gasket sandwich under the carb with an aftermarket manifold? I remember the '67 OEM used a metal gasket for the base...was never a fan. Why not just use a std base gasket?

george

Old 03-24-2021, 07:06 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I did use the 2 gaskets with the thin steel plate in between. Is that incorrect for the aftermarket intake? It's the Edelbrock Pontiac Performer.

Old 03-24-2021, 10:33 PM
Ultimate Warrior

That "gasket sandwich" was specific to the 67 factory intake with quadrajet carb. It should not be needed with an Edelbrock intake. What carb. are you using?

Old 03-24-2021, 10:41 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtospieg View Post
That "gasket sandwich" was specific to the 67 factory intake with quadrajet carb. It should not be needed with an Edelbrock intake. What carb. are you using?

I think Edelbrock has that type setup for using a square flange carb. IIRC

Murf

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Old 03-24-2021, 10:50 PM
Ultimate Warrior

My Performer intake is designed for a spreadbore carb. I've only used the trusty old Quadrajet so I'm not aware of what gaskets would be needed for a squarebore carb. on the Edelbrock intake.

Old 03-25-2021, 08:37 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Thanks, Guys. It is a spread bore intake and the carb is a Quadrajet, possibly from a mid seventies Chevy. I’ll try just a regular gasket. There is an issue with the PCV connection sticking out the front at the base and there’s a bit of a hump in the intake at that point.
What about the distributor? Maybe tap it a little and see if it moves? I checked to see if the vacuum advance can was hitting something but it’s free and clear all around.

Old 03-25-2021, 08:04 PM
Ultimate Warrior

The factory 67 Qjet Intakes were the only ones that had the exhaust passages that came up in the front area of carb - and needed the stainless steel shield between intake/carb.

So you won't need that precaution with any other Intake.

The distributor will usually have a square lug section made into the housing that will let you use about a 1 inch wrench (+/-) on it to turn it.
Probably needs several doses of PB Blaster (equivalent) - and some rap/tap motivation down around close to where it goes into the block.
Probably won't be much fun doing it with engine in the car.

Have had to fight a few before, but they were on an engine stand.

The Following User Says Thank You to Baron Von Zeppelin For This Useful Post:
Old 03-25-2021, 10:11 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Location: 31May2013 Temporary home to the world's widest (that we know of) tornado. Lord, NO more Please...

I’ve pulled HEI’s out of 265’s and 301’s in salvage yards, they can be used in the other Pontiac engines, the advance curve is lazy, though. Some were very stuck and difficult, beware!
Sounds like the engine really needs to come out for a re- seal...

Might post a pic of the carb issue.

Shut it off
Shut it off
Buddy, I just shut your Prius down...
Old 03-26-2021, 03:09 AM
Ultimate Warrior

The Edelbrock Performer and Performer RPM came with a rather thick steel plate for use with a square bore carburetor since the manifold flange has to be wide enough for the Quadrajet and sealing becomes rather iffy with the square bore carb on top. I'd definitely use it since Edelbrock doesn't waste money on including parts that aren't needed.

Fuel poured on top of closed butterflies could have exited between throttle shaft and bushings. Might get disagreement, but while idling that little additional air mixture from the sloppy throttle shaft fit is automatically compensated for when adjusting the mixture screws for best idle.

Old 03-28-2021, 09:28 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I finally got the distributor loose. I thought for a second that someone welded it in place. I used a wrench underneath as suggested. Thanks for that. Also tapped it, tried not to go too hard and damage anything. But I wouldn't do that to a distributor that I want to keep. The engine seems to be pretty good now, pulling good vacuum and it sounds great out back.