Old 03-26-2021, 05:44 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Filling 68 endura emblem holes

I have a nice 68 gto endura bumper that I would like to fix up and use on my 69 gto. The problem is that my 68 bumper has emblem holes in it. Is there a good way to fill these holes and would such a repair last without cracking out? Thanks

Old 03-27-2021, 01:26 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Jeez, I've got a 69 I'm about to drill holes in to put on my 68 ... if we were closer we could switch

Old 03-27-2021, 10:54 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Its been awhile but I remember years ago a buddy of mine had to repair his Endura bumper and he used a Urethane repair kit that I cannot remember the name of. It worked well and I would assume the 21st century versions of these products are better than decades ago as all the bumpers on the modern cars are made of similar material. It may be helpful to get on the Firebird section here or even a Camaro forum to ask too.

As a last resort you could also do what dataway suggested and find a local 69 bumper and trade/sell yours.

67 Bonneville 428 convertible one of one Verdoro green w/parchment, documented GM brass hat parade car with every option for 67, non running MAJOR future project.
Old 03-27-2021, 03:28 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I would recommend 3M #05895. make sure you fill them 100% though. you don't want any air pockets in those holes. I repaired all the cracks with 05895 in my bumper. 4 years later & it still looks great. no shrink marks or cracks or marks of of any kind in the paint. but I would not use anything else as a filler. I used the 3M filler on vee'd out cracks & SPI epoxy primer as my filler primer, sand, recoat until the surface is perfect, then paint.

Biggest mistake with these bumpers is using the wrong products under the paint

68 GTO 4-spd Convertible
78 S/E Trans am L78, WS6 Auto
78 S/E Trans am W72, WS6 Auto
79 10th aniv W72 Trans am
80 Indy pace car Trans am
89 Trans am GTA
Old 03-28-2021, 09:46 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by dataway View Post
Jeez, I've got a 69 I'm about to drill holes in to put on my 68 ... if we were closer we could switch
That’s too bad we aren’t closer. It’s a pretty nice 68 bumper. It’s kind of a shame to fill the holes on this one.

Old 03-28-2021, 09:47 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Thanks for the replies everyone. Hopefully it will turn out nice.

Old 03-29-2021, 01:52 AM
Ultimate Warrior

That filler works very nice, you'll never see the holes when you are done.

Old 03-29-2021, 06:39 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I would grind the 90 degree edge of the holes off too, then feather it out just so you don't have a sharp circular edge were the filler meets the endura. I am guessing thats what you would do anyway, but seems worth mentioning. Mine had so many tiny cracks in the rubber I literally had that filler skimmed over the entire bumper. Was a lot of work, but worth every hour spent on it. If I recall correctly I vee'd out every crack that I could open with a finger nail. There was another member on the forum at the time that had restored a bunch of them & I followed his method. His name slips my mind at the moment, but he was spot on. In fact I started using SPI epoxy for a lot of what I was doing after I liked it so much

68 GTO 4-spd Convertible
78 S/E Trans am L78, WS6 Auto
78 S/E Trans am W72, WS6 Auto
79 10th aniv W72 Trans am
80 Indy pace car Trans am
89 Trans am GTA
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 68ragtop For This Useful Post:
Old 03-29-2021, 12:56 PM
Ultimate Warrior

^^ I think you're talking about the guy that went by PaulatFast or something like that.

Old 03-29-2021, 09:10 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68ragtop View Post
I would grind the 90 degree edge of the holes off too, then feather it out just so you don't have a sharp circular edge were the filler meets the endura. I am guessing thats what you would do anyway, but seems worth mentioning. Mine had so many tiny cracks in the rubber I literally had that filler skimmed over the entire bumper. Was a lot of work, but worth every hour spent on it. If I recall correctly I vee'd out every crack that I could open with a finger nail. There was another member on the forum at the time that had restored a bunch of them & I followed his method. His name slips my mind at the moment, but he was spot on. In fact I started using SPI epoxy for a lot of what I was doing after I liked it so much

Absolutely! In fact I go a step further and expand the area so that you have an oval depression beyond the beveled holes to fill so that no distinct circles (holes) can ghost back.