THE LOBBY A gathering place. Introductions, sports, showin' off your ride, birthday-anniversary-milestone, achievements, family oriented humor.

Old 04-01-2021, 10:57 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Half-Inch Stud View Post
NO BODY PARTS. NO Lawn Art.
Being in caps, that made me think "extreme Halloween".

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	5f9fbca228f94_53muwr31eiz11__700.jpg
Views:	227
Size:	81.7 KB
ID:	563858  

Old 04-01-2021, 02:10 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by carbking View Post
Two important questions:

(1) How understanding is your wife?

AND

(2) Depending on your age, how do you want your kids to remember you?

PS: my children are helping me "downsize" while they can use my knowledge of what stuff is.

Jon
The wife has been pretty tolerant so far, but complains occasionally that I have too much stuff.

My oldest son has his own business, and is not interested in the small stuff. My youngest son might have some interest, but both are more into Chevy and GMC trucks than old Pontiacs.

I rent about 1600 sq ft of space in a barn from a guy near where my former home (I converted my old house to rental). Over the last few years, I've seen him about twice and each time he tries to sell me the property. The barn is on a tract of land where he operates an ornamental iron works business and has several mobile homes he rents. He's says he's ready to sell out, retire and move to the mountains. I dont want the headache.

I saw him last week, and he said he was going to be listing it locally for sale by owner. The land is zone commercial, so if he sells it, the new owner could do something different and I would need to move a bunch of stuff in a hurry. I was thinking out loud about what I would do with a bunch of the small stuff if I need to move it quickly. I'm sure I could sell the cars quickly.

Old 04-02-2021, 12:05 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by poncho-mike View Post
I'm sure I could sell the cars quickly.
You definitely could, they're worth money and when you're into them for so little over the years it's easy to move them. The parts are the hard part since everyone wants a deal or every little picture of angles and then doesn't want it, plus dealing with shipping.

There is a member here on the forum who would likely give you a price for all of it as a bulk buy if money isn't the concern.

Old 04-02-2021, 01:43 PM
Ultimate Warrior

After moving from a home I resided in for 20 years, I found a bit of stuff I forgot I had, and quite a bit that was obsolete to me. Most of the unwanted was scrapped, because I'm not dealing with a bunch of cheap asses that want perfection for pennies.

1977 Trans Am, 400/M21 Black/Gold Bandit. 44K actual miles

2017 Sierra SLT 1500 Z71 4X4

2019 Canyon SLT Crew 4X4

Old 04-02-2021, 08:16 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Some of the stuff I've got that I question whether it is worth keeping or scrapping is:
- Short tail shaft TH400s. I think I have one PQ and a couple of 69/70 428/455 Grand Prix trannies
- Flex fans and clutch fans of all varieties with Pontiac p/ns and date stamps
- Firebird open rear ends, with gears in the mid-2's.
- Firebird limited slip rears, with gears in the mid-2s.
- A-body rear ends with gears in the mid to high 2's.
- Wiring harnesses out of numerous cars, stuffed in trash bags and not marked.
- Crank and water pump pulleys, in tubs.
- Various accessory brackets and throttle brackets for many years and applications.
- 4-barrel single snorkel air cleaners, late 60s through early 70s.
- Greasy timing chain covers and valley pan covers

No matter what, I plan to keep the best cars and any parts I need for them.

About six or seven years ago, I hauled off all of my long tail shaft TH400s, 350 engines, 1975 and newer 400s, and big car sheet metal due to lack of storage. In the most recent list, what is worth saving?

Old 04-02-2021, 11:22 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
The wife has been pretty tolerant so far, but complains occasionally that I have too much stuff.

My oldest son has his own business, and is not interested in the small stuff. My youngest son might have some interest, but both are more into Chevy and GMC trucks than old Pontiacs.

I rent about 1600 sq ft of space in a barn from a guy near where my former home (I converted my old house to rental). Over the last few years, I've seen him about twice and each time he tries to sell me the property. The barn is on a tract of land where he operates an ornamental iron works business and has several mobile homes he rents. He's says he's ready to sell out, retire and move to the mountains. I dont want the headache.

I saw him last week, and he said he was going to be listing it locally for sale by owner. The land is zone commercial, so if he sells it, the new owner could do something different and I would need to move a bunch of stuff in a hurry. I was thinking out loud about what I would do with a bunch of the small stuff if I need to move it quickly. I'm sure I could sell the cars quickly.
Nice to see you are making some progress, mike. Sounds like a pretty big job.

I tried to send you a PM. Your box is full.

Spotts Built 484" IA2, Highports, EFI Northwind
Terminator X sequential EFI fabrication and suspension by
https://www.funkhouserracecars.com/
Old 04-03-2021, 01:26 AM
Senior Chief

With the bigger items i guess the problem is shipping, i dont like people near my house / stuff either.
Perhaps list a couple of smaller parts you'd be willing to sell on here and see how it goes? You can always toss that stuff if it doesnt sell..

Old 04-03-2021, 03:46 PM
Senior Chief

Mike,
Sent you a PM

68 GTO convertible
YS M40, A/C, PS, PB-disc, Posi-T, PW, P-seat, AM-FM stereo 8-track,
P-ant, P-trunk lid, Tilt-S, Rally gauges, Hideaways
C1 224 Triple white
Old 04-05-2021, 02:40 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Some of the stuff I've got that I question whether it is worth keeping or scrapping is:
- Short tail shaft TH400s. I think I have one PQ and a couple of 69/70 428/455 Grand Prix trannies
- Flex fans and clutch fans of all varieties with Pontiac p/ns and date stamps
- Firebird open rear ends, with gears in the mid-2's.
- Firebird limited slip rears, with gears in the mid-2s.
- A-body rear ends with gears in the mid to high 2's.
- Wiring harnesses out of numerous cars, stuffed in trash bags and not marked.
- Crank and water pump pulleys, in tubs.
- Various accessory brackets and throttle brackets for many years and applications.
- 4-barrel single snorkel air cleaners, late 60s through early 70s.
- Greasy timing chain covers and valley pan covers

No matter what, I plan to keep the best cars and any parts I need for them.

About six or seven years ago, I hauled off all of my long tail shaft TH400s, 350 engines, 1975 and newer 400s, and big car sheet metal due to lack of storage. In the most recent list, what is worth saving?
Mike,

The rear ends I see as $75-150/ea unless they are posi numerically 3.23+ rears (e.g. a GTO 3.55 posi rear is $500-750). The TH400 cores I see as being $50-75/ea. The harnesses... maybe $25-100/ea depending on condition. Accessory pulleys that aren't dated and collected together is going to be hard to find buyers for (oPH probably has a better idea of values). Timing chain covers are worth next to nothing, the reproductions are great and affordable. 4bbl air cleaners are worth $75-100 unless they're ram air or dual snorkel, then $250-500+ easily.

It's really up to you as to what it's truly worth. Are you willing to deal with sellers over and over asking and backing out? Or just give total all of it up into say "give me $2000-2500 and it's ALL yours" type deals? If dealing with other people is frustrating or you're time constrained, I don't see much benefit in trying to squeeze every last penny out of it all.

Old 04-05-2021, 10:30 AM
Ultimate Warrior

If you have any plans about selling individual items, and shipping, and haven't shipped anything in awhile; would suggest you get some sample shipping prices.

We just sold our last 1964 large Pontiac tripower. Shipping from central Missouri to central Michigan is $240.00 and change. This is just UPS charges, and does not include shipping supplies or 3 1/2 person-hours to package. I can only imagine what folks on one of the coasts would have to pay to buy something from the other coast.

Jon.

"The most expensive carburetor is the wrong one given to you by your neighbor".

If you truly believe that "one size fits all" try walking a mile in your spouse's shoes!

Owner of The Carburetor Shop, LLC (of Missouri).

Current caretaker of the remains of Stromberg Caburetor, and custodian of the existing Carter and Kingston carburetor drawings.
Old 04-05-2021, 12:02 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Shipping costs are horrendous now.

I just listed and sold a 74 GTO shaker. $90 to ship from NC to New England. It wasn't that heavy, but because the box was so big I was charged for a much heavier weight. Double snorkel air cleaners fall into the same category because the length and width are so large.

Four or five years ago I had a guy wanting a 1971 T/A hood I have. I got no further than estimating the cost of the crate required to ship it in. Was the $240 to ship with or without a big car air cleaner? I have a 64 big car tripower with air cleaner. I imaging I would need to ship that in two separate boxes, which would be very expensive. At one time, Fastenal would ship palletized goods at a halfway reasonable cost, but since Covid I've heard they are not accepting any freight items. FedEX cost to ship a starter is $80 to the west coast.

I'm already planning a trip to Norwalk to take a bunch of the heavier and bulkier items that are worth hauling that far. It's everything else that is in question.