Old 03-28-2021, 05:49 PM

Default Rear end change.

Lets assume as I was told that some one took a 12 bolt chevy rear and put it in a 1967 Firebird. Then sold that rear to the guy up the street. He says it will fit in my open rear grandma 1967 GTO. My yoke is busted on my rear from an accident before I bought it and instead of trying to replace the yoke I would replace the rear with a posi unit. F body rear into an A body car, with no modifications. I say I don't think so , what do you all say.

Old 03-28-2021, 06:14 PM
Ultimate Warrior

whats the 12 bolt out of ? is my first question. what is your end game? stroker and power or low comp cruiser? Assuming is an expensive game.

Old 03-28-2021, 06:28 PM
Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by jokerstime View Post
Lets assume as I was told that some one took a 12 bolt chevy rear and put it in a 1967 Firebird. Then sold that rear to the guy up the street. He says it will fit in my open rear grandma 1967 GTO. My yoke is busted on my rear from an accident before I bought it and instead of trying to replace the yoke I would replace the rear with a posi unit. F body rear into an A body car, with no modifications. I say I don't think so , what do you all say.
Firebird uses leaf springs. GTO/A-body uses coils. So no, the rear ends would not swap one-for-one if both cars utilized factory as-born rear suspensions.

Old 03-28-2021, 06:46 PM

I have no clue what the chevy rear came out of originally. My car is a stock, 400 , just looking for a posi because my yoke is broke. And it was cheap. lol I don't think it would work just wanted to be sure before I was proven wrong again. Thanks.

Old 03-29-2021, 08:40 AM

I'm currently in a similar but position. I'm trying to swap a 68 camaro 8.2 20 bolt out of my firebird for an original bop rear. A 12 bolt out of 67-69 camaro or similar Nova should bolt right in. As said above to swap into or out of an A body it would not be a direct swap

Old 03-29-2021, 02:33 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by PontiacJim1959 View Post
Firebird uses leaf springs. GTO/A-body uses coils. So no, the rear ends would not swap one-for-one if both cars utilized factory as-born rear suspensions.
THIS^^^^^.

Old 03-30-2021, 10:19 AM
Senior Chief

Default Nova to Firebird

I replaced the 10 bolt under my 69 Firebird with a 70 Nova 12 bolt. Simple bolt in swap. If I remember the Firebird rear was 1.5 inches wider. So 12 bolt was 3/4 narrower on each side, no Biggy.

Old 04-01-2021, 04:05 PM

I went to check out the rear, its an Olds SA, 394139 on the housing, I am thinking non posi 10 bolt (no tag on housing bolt) and stuck. Looks like pretty good shape on the outside, 400 bucks. I don't know if it will fit, it looks close, was going to pop the cover for innards but didn't think it would work for what I need, a posi and the non broken yoke. He was talking about a 12 bolt rear because it had 12 bolts holding the cover on.