THE LOBBY A gathering place. Introductions, sports, showin' off your ride, birthday-anniversary-milestone, achievements, family oriented humor.

Old 04-07-2021, 06:23 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by GT182 View Post
I have a scissors lift I use most of the time. I can get the GTO, the Focus [4 feet max for both] and Jeep GC up high enough [3 feet or so] to at least do an oil change, brakes, and other repairs if needed.......

I don't recommend the scissors lift as working on the center of the of a vehicle is a no-go.... only the front rear and side work is possible. Tho I do have cardboard handy if it's needed.
Stepson Automechanic just put his 2-weeks in. He was talking me into a scizzor lift (either outside or in garage). Now i have a little ammo about the no-access center zone.

Old 04-07-2021, 09:59 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I chose cardboard ...due to the increased size of my gut.

Old 04-07-2021, 11:47 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by MUSLCAH View Post
I chose cardboard ...due to the increased size of my gut.
I hear fat cats make duh best mechs.

Frank

Old 04-08-2021, 09:23 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirrotica View Post
Greg, 1500 MG of krill oil minimum per day, 2 tablets of turmeric, boswellia, and trade name Move Free, by Schiff. You'll be surprised at how much better your joints will feel.
Thanks for those suggestions.
I already take the Tumeric and it has made a great improvement in my shoulders. That used to be a 24-7 pain and now it's only if I over do it. Knees elbows, wrists, etc. will hurt me from time to time and sometimes acutely. Just getting over a case of tendonitis in my left elbow from some chain sawing I was doing a month or more ago.
All of my joints are capable of hurting me that way...from my neck down to my ankles.. In fact, I think all of my health problems at this point are skeletal.

Old 04-08-2021, 09:38 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

This is an interesting 'creeper'...

1970 GTO (Granada Gold) - 400 / TH400
Old 04-08-2021, 10:11 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Reid View Post
Thanks for those suggestions.
I already take the Tumeric and it has made a great improvement in my shoulders. That used to be a 24-7 pain and now it's only if I over do it. Knees elbows, wrists, etc. will hurt me from time to time and sometimes acutely. Just getting over a case of tendonitis in my left elbow from some chain sawing I was doing a month or more ago.
All of my joints are capable of hurting me that way...from my neck down to my ankles.. In fact, I think all of my health problems at this point are skeletal.
I have arthritis in my hands and wrists, plus working as a mechanic for 50 years I've hurt everything at least once, plus the air tools beat your hands and wrists constantly over the years. Then there's the knees from being on concrete for years too plus the back from just plain misusing it, lifting too much in awkward positions.

My father also twisted wrenches all his life, and was in the same boat when he got near retirement age, so I've also witnessed his pain years ago. I should have listened to him about finding another line of work, but no, I wanted to follow in his footsteps.......... Dad never took much in the way of pain meds, he just gritted his teeth, and kept moving til he was 92. I wish we had known about these meds when he was alive, his only relief was a hot tub, which he spent a couple hours in every day, the hot water helped him quite a bit.

I take that regiment every day, if I don't, the pain gets to the point that I hurt every time I move. The krill oil helps a bunch, my late mother also had arthritis in her hands, and I found out about the krill oil, and got her using it also, it helps a bunch, and is actually good for the body. My wife (RN), and I did a bunch of research to find homeopathic meds to get me out of the constant pain. Although not 100% out of pain, I, probably 90% better taking the homeopathic remedies. I can actually get up and down when using a creeper now, before I had to find something to pull myself up from the floor.

1984 Grand Prix

100% Pontiacs in my driveway!!! What's in your driveway?

If you don't take some of the RACETRACK home with you, Ya got cheated

The Following User Says Thank You to Sirrotica For This Useful Post:
Old 04-08-2021, 11:45 AM

So I ended up going to Walmart and picking up a 9.00 sleeping bag, I have not used it yet, to clean to get dirty. I also went to Harbor Freight and picked up their anti-fatigue mat. The mat is about a 1/2 inch thick and fits together like a puzzle. It has worked out well so far sliding under the car. I see I am not the only having troubles getting under the car. It can get a little cozy underneath the car as someone else mentioned, I have never fallen asleep under the car but have found myself daydreaming at times, maybe all the gas fumes lol. The one time my wife actually puts gas in her car she fills it up full and then the fuel pump stops working. The little cheap transfer pump from Walmart was a pain in the rear to get it to flow correctly but 13 gallons later finally finished draining fuel tank. Now the easy part changing the in-tank fuel pump

Old 04-08-2021, 11:56 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by ta6point6 View Post
I also went to Harbor Freight and picked up their anti-fatigue mat. The mat is about a 1/2 inch thick and fits together like a puzzle.
Hey, I like that idea.

Old 04-08-2021, 12:44 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Have pinched nerve tunnel in neck to shoulder. Right hand goes numb using key board and writing all day.
Wrenching no prob. Holding power tool handles some times goes bad. Just have to let it relax for awhile.
Been putting off cause a buddy had same thing in lower back.
Had surgery year and half ago.
Way worse since. Cant do anything now. Cant stand or walk more the 10 minutes.
Even setting upright hurts after half hour.
His insurance co. arguing on who and what procedure next.

http://s207.photobucket.com/albums/b...hop/?start=100
Old 04-08-2021, 01:44 PM
Ultimate Warrior

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yEy6bLfi8Mg

“Nothing in the world can take the place of persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent. The slogan Press On! has solved and always will solve the problems of the human race.”
― Calvin Coolidge
Old 04-08-2021, 01:53 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Creepers are nice as mentioned because they make getting under, and out from under your car much easier;
I do get a little annoyed when the creeper moves when I am trying to torque something;
I get much more annoyed when the creeper doesn't roll where i want it to because of little bits of dirt or pebbles...

My first creeper was an old fashioned flat wood kind, I rearely use that one now because the steel wheels jam up too easy;
My second was a colapsable one that can turn into a rolling seat;
I do find that more often than not I skip both creepers and use carboard that I keep around for just that use.

Quite likely one of few '70 Muncie three speed Formula 400's left.

1991 Grand Am: 14.4 @ 93.7mph (DA corrected) (retired DD, stock appearing)
2009 Cobalt SS: 13.9 @ 103mph (current DD; makes something north of 300hp & 350ft/lbs)
Old 04-09-2021, 08:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by unruhjonny View Post
Creepers are nice as mentioned because they make getting under, and out from under your car much easier;
I do get a little annoyed when the creeper moves when I am trying to torque something;
I get much more annoyed when the creeper doesn't roll where i want it to because of little bits of dirt or pebbles...

My first creeper was an old fashioned flat wood kind, I rearely use that one now because the steel wheels jam up too easy;
My second was a colapsable one that can turn into a rolling seat;
I do find that more often than not I skip both creepers and use carboard that I keep around for just that use.
Same reasons I don’t/won’t use a creeper, mine primarily being I can’t roll around underneath vehicle without rolling over one my own tools or a random pebble that gets stuck under a wheel. I’ve alway used moving blankets and have several of them. When I change oil, I throw an old bedsheet over it in case of oil splashing or missing the drainpan....

Old 04-09-2021, 09:08 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I had one of those old wooden ones for years until it started falling apart after 40 years of use..and yes, even a gnat turd will hang those up with those metal discs for wheels.
I replaced it with a plastic one with nice rubber coated wheels. Now I have just the opposite problem. If there is any slope to floor I'm using it on, like my carport, I have to chock the wheel to keep from rolling away!

Old 04-09-2021, 08:57 PM
Ultimate Warrior

50+ posts and no one has admitted to getting hair caught in a creeper wheel. Well I did, and it sucked!! That happened to me in the early 80's, and no it wasn't a mullet or pony tail. Just generally long hair, by some people's standards.

Old 04-09-2021, 11:20 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by 400 4spd. View Post
50+ posts and no one has admitted to getting hair caught in a creeper wheel. Well I did, and it sucked!! That happened to me in the early 80's, and no it wasn't a mullet or pony tail. Just generally long hair, by some people's standards.
I was thinking about that when this post first started, having quite long hair back in the early 70s. Running over your own hair is really a bad experience. It's so damn hard to get it off you hair, and if you move the wrong way you make it much worse....LOL

I can say I been there done that...

1984 Grand Prix

Old 04-10-2021, 07:33 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by vertigto View Post
This is an interesting 'creeper'...

Brian, I have one just like it. And it was a life saver swapping plugs and coils on my V10.

Old 04-10-2021, 11:15 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirrotica View Post
I was thinking about that when this post first started, having quite long hair back in the early 70s. Running over your own hair is really a bad experience. It's so damn hard to get it off you hair, and if you move the wrong way you make it much worse....LOL

I can say I been there done that...
I have a pony tail, my trademark. A few years ago I grew it really long (lower back) and I cut it a foot shorter after having shut my hair in the car door issues. I have a creeper on my buy list, and I see tucking tail in shirt may be protocol. The price of being an old outlaw ain't easy.

Old 04-10-2021, 11:46 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by bird72 View Post
I have a pony tail, my trademark. A few years ago I grew it really long (lower back) and I cut it a foot shorter after having shut my hair in the car door issues. I have a creeper on my buy list, and I see tucking tail in shirt may be protocol. The price of being an old outlaw ain't easy.
The picture on our avatar looks similar to "Monza" on Street Outlaws, so if that's you, then you fit the image.................

It's pretty painful if you get your hair caught under the wheels of a creeper, would never happen to me today, I guess I gave up and became respectable when I was a business owner in the late 70s, early 80s.

1984 Grand Prix

Old 04-10-2021, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 400 4spd. View Post
That NEVER happened to me.

I swear.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	EFEF4830-89CA-47A5-AA3C-53FE6555D052.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	38.4 KB
ID:	564440  

Old 04-10-2021, 01:52 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Way back in the 70's I did. Not fun. Had a co-worker get his hair twisted up in an 3/8" extension using an air ratchet, tore a small chunk out. Ouch.

“Nothing in the world can take the place of persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent. The slogan Press On! has solved and always will solve the problems of the human race.”
― Calvin Coolidge