Suspension TECH Including Brakes, Wheels and tires

Old 04-11-2021, 09:02 PM
Senior Chief

Default Master cylinder for 4 wheel discs

I'm doing a rear disc swap on my 1970 GTO, using parts from a late 90's Blazer. This setup is pretty similar to the LS1 F-body brakes, with the "drum in hat" parking brake setup.

For now the front brakes are the stock discs, but these may also get upgraded to the LS1 fronts.

I installed an adjustable proportioning valve to the rear brakes.

I plan to run a stock 11" booster (fairly mild 455, should have plenty of vacuum).

Not sure the best choice of master cylinder. I would like to keep something that looks somewhat stock (no polished Wilwood or Chinese knockoffs...). My thoughts are c3 Corvette or 1979 WS6 Trans Am. I was leaning toward the T/A part; I figure my brake setup is comparable to a T/A, as is vehicle weight. Both masters are 1 1/8" bore; the Corvette uses two equal-sized reservoirs, while the T/A uses different size reservoirs like a disc/drum car. I'm not sure why, can anyone explain the reason & which master would be a better choice?

It's not exactly a hardcore track car or pro-touring thing, but it's being setup to handle & hopefully stop a lot better than 1970....

Old 04-12-2021, 05:28 PM
Ultimate Warrior

The size of the bore you need in your master depends on whether you are doing manual or power....1 1/8" is for power...1" or even 15/16" for manual.

Old 04-14-2021, 08:47 AM

You are really going to like those Blazer rear disks! They were a definite step up in performance from my factory rear disks. Plus the parking brake works really well.

I used an 81 TA master and booster with my stock front disks. This has worked perfectly. The 79-81 dual diaphragm boosters are some of the best ever from GM and provide more clearance for valve covers. The 81 master is aluminum and weighs 1.6 pounds versus the 9 pound 79. The 81 master must be used with an 81 booster because the part that fits in the booster is larger.

Engine Left

Hedman elite; Pypes 2.5; Borla XS; MSD 6A; Edelbrock intake; open scoop; Sniper Q-jet; Powermaster 150; 4 core radiator/Mark VIII fan; RobbMc mini starter; subframe connectors; solid body mounts; fiberglass rear springs; poly sway bar and link bushings; 81 master; D52’s; Blazer disks; 225/60 & 235/60 17's TrueContact's; relays for PW, PDL, lights; keyless entry
Old 04-14-2021, 11:50 PM
Senior Chief

Hi MNBob, thanks for the feedback! I like the looks of your setup & engine bay in general.