The Body Shop TECH General questions that don't fit in any other forum

Old 06-01-2002, 10:50 PM

I have had the fenders off my car for a while and now that I have the front end together I have stripped the paint off the inner and outer sides with a chemical stripper. Since I have no experience with body work or car painting I need help with the basics.
What if any grit sand paper do I use on bare metal? You guys have answered the question on the inner side but what do I need to do to prep the outer for paint.
I plan to have the car primered myself but I will have a shop paint it. Am I wasting my time?
Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Louis

Old 06-01-2002, 10:50 PM

I have had the fenders off my car for a while and now that I have the front end together I have stripped the paint off the inner and outer sides with a chemical stripper. Since I have no experience with body work or car painting I need help with the basics.
What if any grit sand paper do I use on bare metal? You guys have answered the question on the inner side but what do I need to do to prep the outer for paint.
I plan to have the car primered myself but I will have a shop paint it. Am I wasting my time?
Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Louis

Old 06-02-2002, 06:44 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

It all depends on the condition of the sheetmetal . If the metal is in bad condition use 80 or 100 . If it's in good condition use 180 or 220 . Followed by a self etching primer , then epoxy primer . Have fun !

Old 06-02-2002, 01:22 PM

Thanks for the info. The sheet metal is in great shape except for a 2 inch diameter spot rusted out behind the chrome trim. It seems to be a trap for water as it has a metal flange behind that holds it. I thought about just cutting it out and leaving this spot open for water to drain. It would be hidden.