Old 09-15-2024, 03:43 PM

Default Where do these turbo shields go 1980 pace car

Any one know where these 2 shields mount

countless hours researching no luck

also looks like there were different style shields used on 80 turbo cars?

Thanks Again
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1645.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	38.5 KB
ID:	639977   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1647.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	39.4 KB
ID:	639978   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1648 (1).jpg
Views:	23
Size:	106.9 KB
ID:	639979  

Old 09-16-2024, 10:07 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Do you have the GM service manual? It has diagrams for all brackets and other engine parts including heat shields including all the other important info & torque ratings related to these turbo engines that are a little different than traditional pontiac engines. Others can help answer your questions but it would be much easier to just get the manual to learn these things.

The left shield is the choke shield that mounts on or near the EGR valve, it shields the choke from cold air & the small hole is for the choke power wire clip. The right side looks like the one behind the waste gate or maybe in front of the up pipe.

I can check my car later today or get some pics but again, the GM manual has all the info needed to identify parts. Do you have one?

Old 09-16-2024, 01:02 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Pick up a 1980 assy manual.

Just Say No To 8” Flakes

F ire B irds

🇮🇱
Old 09-16-2024, 02:37 PM
Ultimate Warrior

The '80 Pontiac Service Supplement is mediocre at best for quite a few details, like the existence of these heat shields, agree with W72 in regards to the little heat shield that slips behind the EGR valve. Years ago, in my light mod recipe, I always removed the EGR shield in conjunction w removing the smog pump, supply line, single groove wp pulley.

Prob should buy another '80 Bird Assembly manual & see if there are more factory exploded pics than the few in the Supplement. If nothing else, it would interesting to note the build dates of certain production changes up in the legend box.

Old 09-16-2024, 03:50 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Mine is the full 1981 service manual on cd, majority of the 301t engine parts are the same for 80 but getting the correct 1980 service manual would be best.

Heres a quick pic I took of my 81 heat shields, should be same as 1980. Besides the EGR mounted shield there is the big one behind the wastegate which looks like the big one in your pic, then 2 others on the up pipe, one up top as seen in the pic & one down low near the flange that shields the spark plug wire/boot.

Hope that helps.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	301t heat shields.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	93.8 KB
ID:	640024  

Last edited by 78w72; 09-16-2024 at 04:48 PM.
Old 09-16-2024, 04:07 PM
Ultimate Warrior

OPH- Did you mean you removed the EGR itself or just the shield? Not sure what removing the shield would do...

I did some mods like that on my 81 301t too, I removed the EGR and used a block off plate. For the smog pump its easier to just gut the internals & keep it there to act as a pulley, that way you dont need to source a single groove WP pulley or change belts etc, I left all the lines & solenoids there for a factory look and can add a functioning smog pump if a new owner down the road decides to go back to factory emissions. I did remove the air feed line to the cat since its removed too and plugged the openings in the heads.

With those basic changes & adjusting the boost up to 9-10psi, it was designed to run at 9psi, my car has ran a best of 14.7 at 98mph, not very fast but considering these cars best reported times as stock were mid 16's with a professional driver, Im pretty happy with that. I was taking it somewhat easy too since this is a lower mile 81 pace car, old hard BFG radial TA's, no track prep & no burnout, shifting around 4000 rpm at ~3/4 throttle due to some light pinging at WOT with 9-10psi boost on pump gas. On the street it will easily powerbrake the tires & gets a small 2nd gear scratch!