Old 01-26-2013, 03:39 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Location: Pontiac Heaven in the Arizona desert & above the White mountains in the cool country of eastern Az
Default nice restored heavy GMC in eastern Arizona

A few years back I saw this truck and gave it a look over but, did not have my camera. Well, Thursday, I was driving through there on my way to do some snowboarding and there is was! This is the first time I have seen it since and was parked in the same place- the Napa store in Springerville, Az. The nose of my GTO can be seen on the left.

It is nicely done and, from looking underneath, it retains Pontiac power painted GMC red.

Just wanted to share the pics. Eventually, I hope to meet this person who owns it.

This is the only restored heavy Pontiac powered GMC that I am aware of anywhere. Does anyone know of another?

What rating is this truck? 2 ton?

Hosting-
23rd annual Pontiac Heaven weekend- Phoenix pending due to covid
Pontiac Heaven Museum in process
Phil 2:11
Old 01-26-2013, 05:14 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I'm not sure of the year, but it looks like 1955-1957. There are some brochures on the Old Car Manual project, here's the one for 1956: http://www.oldcarbrochures.com/stati.../dirindex.html It looks like depending on how the truck is optioned it can be rated for a gross vehicle weight of up to 16,000 pounds, 26,000 pounds if it was a tractor-trailer combination.

I like how the fenders are on hinges for engine access on those things.

Old 01-26-2013, 05:36 PM
Senior Chief

It's funny that you posted this as I just saw an ad for one of these for sale in Utah...

http://www.ksl.com/index.php?nid=218...search=Pontiac

Old 01-26-2013, 06:54 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I would agree on the year guess. Especially as it has single headlights. If I remember right the 58 might have had dual headlights. But the 350 on the grill seems wrong. So maybe if it is Pontiac under the hood it has had a later engine put in.

Old 01-26-2013, 07:20 PM
Ultimate Warrior

350 was one of the models of GMC trucks back then, they also had a 450 and a 550. The one in the ksl.com ad is also a 350.

Old 01-26-2013, 07:34 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Location: Pontiac Heaven in the Arizona desert & above the White mountains in the cool country of eastern Az

Quote:
Originally Posted by pfilean View Post
I would agree on the year guess. Especially as it has single headlights. If I remember right the 58 might have had dual headlights. But the 350 on the grill seems wrong. So maybe if it is Pontiac under the hood it has had a later engine put in.
It appears to be a 50s era Pontiac under there based on the pan and starter mounting.

'58s do have 4 head lamps, there is one near me and I like the single headllight per sides best. I think it is a 55 or 56. I think the '57's were not as clean.

Hosting-
Old 01-26-2013, 07:37 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by ID67goat View Post
It's funny that you posted this as I just saw an ad for one of these for sale in Utah...

Not sure if that ad is accurate. I do not think it is a 58 and if it is a 389, it was swapped in. He may or may not really know what he has.

Looking forward to one of the more knowledgable here on these trucks to comment on that.

Hosting-
Old 01-27-2013, 07:47 PM

That's a "F" model GMC (LCF) Low Cab forward truck. 350 series trucks were rated by GMC as 2 ton trucks. There was also a heavy duty 2 ton model 370 series. As mentioned earlier these "F" models came in larger 450, & 550 series. Production years for this style were '55-'59. All had only two headlights. (No four headlight GMC LCF's) '58, & '59 Chevrolet LCF's had 4 headlights. You guys should check out the website, www.oldgmctrucks.com

Old 02-22-2013, 12:16 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by ID67goat View Post

That truck has been for sale for a long time. He is also trying to sell the engine separately for $600 less than the whole truck.

http://www.ksl.com/index.php?nid=218...search=pontiac 389&ad_cid=3

66 GTO convertible 389/4 speed (parents bought new)
73 Firebird Formula 400/4 speed
74 GTO 455/4 speed
74 Grand Am
Old 05-27-2013, 10:39 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Last Saturday, I saw this truck again in Alpine, Az at a car show. It had the hood up so, I got to see the top of the engine for the first time. There was also a filled out dash card as it was entered in the show. This truck is a 1958 and has a 336 Poncho with tri-power. I will be posting pics later. Oh, I still have yet to meet the owner.
It is such a nice truck and glad it is close to me. I would love to have something like this. I like a single headlights better I think.

Hosting-