Old 05-10-2019, 07:43 PM

Default Question re: Master and Wheel Cylinders, Brake Hoses for 63 LeMans

Ames and USA Parts say they're not in stock and that it'll be a few weeks (or more) before they're back.

Do you have any ideas or suggestions? I'm brand new to this Y-body world and learning quickly. Thanks!!

Old 05-10-2019, 09:30 PM
Suspended

Wrong place to ask > " BUY, SELL, TRADE "

See if you can get this moved to the proper section or start another thread.

Old 05-10-2019, 09:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief of the 60's View Post
Wrong place to ask > " BUY, SELL, TRADE "

See if you can get this moved to the proper section or start another thread.
Understood, thanks. I tried deleting, but couldn't find where/how.

Old 05-11-2019, 07:12 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Actually, you are in the right place because you were asking for advice on where to find a consumable parts source or a re-builder.

Old 05-11-2019, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elefantrider View Post
Actually, you are in the right place because you were asking for advice on where to find a consumable parts source or a re-builder.
X2, Ignore the Chief, he doesn't know the early Tempest.

Check out one of the Little Indians Chapter members Ben's Classic Car Parts for a Front Disc brake upgrade.

If you want to maintain the original brake system, try White Post Restoration and have your wheel & master Cylinders resleeved. Brake lines are always on ebay. Can Also try Kanter Auto Parts.

Old 05-11-2019, 07:26 PM

I had trouble finding one also. The brake line on my 63 Tempest, v-8, a/t, came out to the front of the master so it was hard to find without re-routing the brake line. My auto parts guy cross referenced and found this and it worked great. The cross reference was for a 62-68 Oldsmobile, still GM. Picture included.
Augie

If pic doesn't come up;
DORMAN, NEW MASTER CYLINDER M49202 (WAGNER: MC49202)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20190328_112731.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	42.5 KB
ID:	512056  

Old 05-12-2019, 02:09 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Rebuilt old master cylinders are also usually on Ebay for cheap.
There are a few types. Screw on lid and clip on lid.
I like the screw on lid version.
If it is off the car, take the part number off the bottom and enter it on Ebay.

Wheel cylinders can usually be saved and rebuilt while still on the car with a Lisle wheel cylinder hone and an electric drill.
I have NEVER had to resleave one.. Still sealing great with kits from Rockauto.com

Old 05-16-2019, 08:46 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Not familiar with the '63 but guessing the wheel cylinders are very similar to the '64.

I just had a wheel cylinder sleeved. It had been rebuilt with a Bendix kit. But leaked badly before the car was ever driven on the road. On disassembly, I discovered a lot of corrosion and grit in the bore, didn't look like it had been honed or cleaned. I ran my hone thru it and it cleaned up very nice EXCEPT there were deep pits in a couple places that were never going to hone out.

Repro cylinders are readily available but I wanted to retain the original cylinders for the nos. and a firm belief that the quality of new parts is often suspect.

Google around and you will find varying opinions about the use of brass or stainless steel sleeves.

I wanted stainless steel and I also preferred that they be sleeved with bar stock and then bored. Most places use tubing.

I found Mark Frappier in Mass and putting in a plug for him. He uses 303 SS bar stock. Mailed it to him on a Friday, got it back the following Friday. It looks awesome. Bought a new Bendix rebuild kit from Rock Auto, reassembled the cylinder, installed it and very happy with the outcome.

Can't remember which no. works, one of these, 413-789-8665, 800-528-5235. Easy to talk to and he'll give you the price upfront.

Pretty sure he will sleeve a master also. He only does the machine work but the reassembly is pretty simple.

I will likely pull my remaining 3 cylinders in due time and send them to Mark before he retires. Just tonight I noticed a small fluid spot on the floor at the right rear. I know I'm paranoid because of what I found in my left front but won't be a surprise if another one is also pitted too.

There was a guy in PA a decade ago who also sleeved with SS bar stock. But he has retired. More and more of the guys who provided these needed services for our old cars have retired. Harder and harder to find guys who are capable of doing quality work.

Old 05-16-2019, 09:15 PM

Thanks guys, I really appreciate the info and insights.

Instead of rebuilding the front cylinders, I ended up buying a Scarebird disc conversion kit, calipers with oversized pistons, and a rebuild kit for my OE master. It was on the ToDo list, so I decided to knock it out now.

I'm rebuilding the rear cylinders, but may end up getting them resleeved. Just depends on how they look when we disassemble them.

All in, I'm just shy of $500 for all my parts, including RPVs for disc and drum.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2019-05-14 at 6.05.19 PM.png
Views:	75
Size:	31.8 KB
ID:	512384