Pontiac - Race The next Level

Old 02-20-2021, 08:27 AM
Ultimate Warrior

It's one thing for an individual to purchase such an item it's another to have the logistics to field it

When I saw the add iam like hell yeah that's inexpensive to obtain and call yours but in it's current form hard to utilize,

I thought it would be interesting to put in a modest Pontiac powerplant and go some rounds having fun with a minimum crew but when it gets to the point you need a 4 plus count crew it's hard to find that many like minded people, seems like anyways

Static display is the most likely outcome

Old 02-20-2021, 01:53 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
I thought it would be interesting to put in a modest Pontiac powerplant and go some rounds having fun with a minimum crew
That's sort of the line that kept crossing my mind too.
9 second bracket engine with minimal required maintenance, with the Real Engine mounted in a fixture for display in the pits.

You (the driver and/or owner) would have a Blast
But with its capacity lowered that much - it could turn more into a disappointment to fans and spectators seeing it in such under-kill performances.

Anything and everything that could cover your timeslips would pile in line to shoot you down anywhere you went.
A good (and silent) Tesla might could outrun you or stay right with you.
While you're having the time of your life - everyone else thinks you are a bad joke.
Running a 9 second Funny Car
Probably an injustice - but i'd love to own it and drive it - under 200mph

Wouldn't get ANY appearance money anywhere either in that condition.
Probably best idea in that whole scenario - would be to remove all the lettering and just be a shiny no-name hobby car.

Yep - i thought about it

Old 02-20-2021, 07:00 PM
Ultimate Warrior

It's nice to hear other people gave the car some serious though. It has to fit an exact situation and just feel right. I feel we had the car to the point of "normal maintenance" the last few years we ran it. But normal maintenance is substantial. We are talking about 20 Gallons of 70 wt. oil, 25-30 gallons of Nitro. A set of bearings. 1-2 clutch discs. It's a serious commitment for sure. Then you have to have a driver willing to risk his life every time down the track. I realize that's true in a 100 MPH car as well, but the exotic fuel and very high speeds ratchet that up a bunch. I will say this, I don't think he will mind. I was putting a full court press on one guy I really felt would have been good for the car, John Welter. A fearless driver, had good people around him to crew, and he painted the car, so he had some skin in the game. Also a big Beswick Fan. It just didn't work out. He had several big things going on in his life and shop as well as a pretty new race car himself. I think he would have been great though. Timing is everything.

Old 02-20-2021, 07:46 PM
Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgarblik View Post
It's nice to hear other people gave the car some serious though. It has to fit an exact situation and just feel right. I feel we had the car to the point of "normal maintenance" the last few years we ran it. But normal maintenance is substantial. We are talking about 20 Gallons of 70 wt. oil, 25-30 gallons of Nitro. A set of bearings. 1-2 clutch discs. It's a serious commitment for sure. Then you have to have a driver willing to risk his life every time down the track. I realize that's true in a 100 MPH car as well, but the exotic fuel and very high speeds ratchet that up a bunch. I will say this, I don't think he will mind. I was putting a full court press on one guy I really felt would have been good for the car, John Welter. A fearless driver, had good people around him to crew, and he painted the car, so he had some skin in the game. Also a big Beswick Fan. It just didn't work out. He had several big things going on in his life and shop as well as a pretty new race car himself. I think he would have been great though. Timing is everything.
What do you figure, about $1500.00 a pass?

Old 02-20-2021, 08:20 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief of the 60's View Post
I think that is a reasonable estimate. 1/8 mile is MUCH easier on everything, engine and clutch. Generally, we didn't hurt anything running 1/8 mile. That last 2 seconds was really tough. The more load you put on nitro, the more power it makes. That's why these cars seem to leave a little soft vs their trap speed. Having an oil sponsor is very important. No coolant so the oil is the coolant. 5 gallon tank and it would gain a gallon during a 1/4 mile run. Low buck teams like us without an oil sponsor, would take the used oil home, put it in big flat pans and set it out in the hot sun for a couple days to remove the nitro from the oil, run it through a paint strainer and re-use. Thank goodness, we never had to do that. Everyone races these cars for the love of doing it or to promote their own business or a sponsor. Their is no way to break even or make any money running these cars even if you win every run. Everyone knows this going in I hope.

Old 02-20-2021, 09:04 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Mike and Eric,

I just want to say thanks for your help over the years, your complete honesty about issues that arose and your "lectures" on the importance of safety. So great to see two guys do such a good job (with lots of help, I know) and still be such helpful, nice guys.

Good luck in the future.

Jim

****'63 Tempest, 475" IAII, Wenzler Super Chief heads, converted to blown alcohol, Birdcatcher, Littlefield 10-71 high helix. Best pass to date: 7.67 @ 181.59 (1/4 mi.), 4.95 @ 143.67 (1/8 mi.), 1.18 (60 ft)

7.75 @ 178 pass:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Iez3...ature=youtu.be

First seven second pass(7.98): https://wwwoutube.com/watch?v=DK17...ature=youtu.be

Thanks to Paul Carter @ Koerner Racing Engines

Old 02-20-2021, 09:26 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief of the 60's View Post
The exception was the pass at Union Grove that ended in the massive fire. That one cost something like $40k.

https://youtu.be/HOYYTD_db0A

Eric

Life begins at the end of your comfort zone.

“The mind, once stretched by a new idea, never returns to its original dimensions.”
Old 02-21-2021, 11:59 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Just saw these on Facebook on one of our old closed tracks page. Green Valley over near Ft. Worth.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Bossbird.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	14.5 KB
ID:	561276   Click image for larger version

Name:	Boss Bird race.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	28.9 KB
ID:	561277   Click image for larger version

Name:	Boss Bird II.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	32.7 KB
ID:	561278  

1965 GTO 4 barrel 3 speed project
2004 GTO Pulse Red stock motor computer tune 13.43@103.4
1964 Impala SS 409/470ci 600 HP stroker project
1979 Camaro IAII Edelbrock head 500" 695 HP 10.33@132 3595lbs
Old 02-21-2021, 12:33 PM
Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elarson View Post
The exception was the pass at Union Grove that ended in the massive fire. That one cost something like $40k.

https://youtu.be/HOYYTD_db0A

Eric
Ouch! Yeah, that one hurt.

But on the flip side.... John Force would be proud of that video.