Old 01-01-2021, 08:17 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Default Need advice on doing the 1970 GTO front clip conversion on a Lemans Wagon

Folks,

I worked on an endura bumper setup for my 68 tempest wagon long ago, but am a total newbie to the 1970 conversion. I'm crossing my fingers that things go well and I'll be able to pick up a 70 Lemans wagon from a lead I got on this forum. It already has the GTO hood on it. I know the fenders are different and of course the nose, valence, turn signals and parking lights need to change.

1.) What's the best way to scoop up these parts and what should I know before I get started?

2.) I already know the fenders are expensive, but what about repops, or cutting up donor GTO fenders in the parking light area and grafting those to the existing fenders (assuming they are in good condition)? Seems like there are enough 70 GTO fenders that are rotted in the heel, but are decent up front, so I would think that's a possibility.

3.) Are the repop fiberglass bumpers any good, or do I need to find a decent endura bumper? I remember fixing my 68 endura bumper. It was a pain in the butt, but doable.

4.) What about valence panels? I see new repops being sold that come out of GM tooling, but are they any good?

Of course, the easy route is to score an entire front end....... Yeah, sure, that's easy........ LOL

Old Joe

Old 01-02-2021, 10:01 AM
Ultimate Warrior

This will not be cheap but will be super cool if you pull it off...

In addition to the parts you have mentioned, you will also need:

-GTO core support
-core support bracket that connects to middle of valance panel
-GTO frame to endura brackets
-correct wiring harness/ends for the GTO turn signal lights
-headlight bezels
-valance/fender support brackets that attach at bottom of core support
-might also need the panels that headlight buckets attach to.

I used a reproduction valence panel and thought it was good. I did have to drill out some spot welds for the drivers side turn signal mount and re-weld as it was done wrong and had the light bezel sticking out too far and crooked.

I used repro fenders and they sucked...still not sure if I got rejects or second line parts, but back of fender where it met the door had wrong shape (too much curve), top of fender where it met the doors had a huge gap, and I spent many hours to cut and re-weld both to get them decent. Also found the top of drivers fender had a flat area near the middle where it met the side of the hood that was noticeable when hood was closed (the 2 panels did not have the same curve). Based on this, I would make every effort to use GM fenders.

No experience with fiberglass nose. Would want to know that all factory parts still bolt on in correct places (headlight panels, etc.) before deciding to use one.

Oshawa built 1 option Judge basket case. 463, SD KRE 295's, CNC'd factory intake, Cliff's Qjet, Stump Puller HR cam, RARE RA manifolds, Pypes exhaust, T56 Magnum, McLeod RXT clutch, 3.42 12 bolt. 24 year project almost done...

Last edited by mrennie; 01-02-2021 at 10:07 AM.
Old 01-02-2021, 12:39 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I bought one of the fiberglass noses. Looks like a high quality piece. I put grills in it and they fit nicely. I am having it painted at the same time as my 70 convertible for when the endura cracks.

I like the idea of using rotted GTO fenders to update the LeMans fenders (I did this when I cloned my 72 to a Trans Am- just added the air extractors).

You will need a GTO core support as mentioned, but if you went with the fiberglass nose you could probably make your own brackets if you wanted to.

Old 01-03-2021, 02:14 AM
Senior Chief

Michael is right. The fit of the repro fenders to the doors was way off & took lots of work to get remotely close...

Old 01-03-2021, 08:22 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Love this forum. Makes it a lot easier to know which route to go. Looks like its' either going to be working with usable used fenders or grafting in the front metal from used GTO fenders to the Lemans fenders depending on what I can find. NOS fenders are not in the budget.

Old 01-03-2021, 02:26 PM
Senior Chief

I've got a really nice passenger 70 GTO fender and NOS fenders if interested

Old 01-03-2021, 09:58 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Also...repro 68-70 core supports were well known to have been welded wrong at the bottom rail causing them to sit level at the top rather than lean forwards to match the fenders. The one I bought was like this and took many (many) hours of cutting and welding to make close to right.

I have seen posts mentioning that this has been fixed on current repros but I would be skeptical unless I could inspect before buying one.

Oshawa built 1 option Judge basket case. 463, SD KRE 295's, CNC'd factory intake, Cliff's Qjet, Stump Puller HR cam, RARE RA manifolds, Pypes exhaust, T56 Magnum, McLeod RXT clutch, 3.42 12 bolt. 24 year project almost done...
Old 01-26-2021, 12:15 AM
Senior Chief

Michael & I must be buying the same parts...I had similar issues with the angle of the top of the core support. Drilled out the spot welds that held the top of the core support on, adjusted the angle, & welded it back up. Kind of a PITA, but no worse than making the repro fenders fit nicely....