Old 03-07-2021, 08:10 PM
Ultimate Warrior

https://www.appliedracing.com/drives...losures-1.html

Old 03-08-2021, 12:03 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I use the one from ram air restorations that bolts to the back of the TH400. It fits with my 3" X pipe. I had to drill some different holes and bend it to get it to fit properly. It fits like a glove now!

1968 Lemans. 37,000 original miles. GTO clone. 462ci/KRE 290 heads. UltraDyne 280/288 Solid/850 Qjet by Cliff/Performer RPM/TSP 9.5" in TH400/8.5" 3.42 gears/3950# Race weight/12.58@106 at Bandimere speedway high altitude
Old 03-09-2021, 10:40 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68lemans462 View Post
I use the one from ram air restorations that bolts to the back of the TH400. It fits with my 3" X pipe. I had to drill some different holes and bend it to get it to fit properly. It fits like a glove now!
X2 on the bolt to trans mount style, i use one from PTFB which looks exactly like the ram air one linked above... also had to bend/tweak it a bit to fit but it clears a 3" shaft & 3" exhaust with a X pipe.

Old 03-09-2021, 06:40 PM
Senior Chief

You guys may want to rethink those transmission mounted ones. I had a front U-joint failure back in 2008 and the shaft exited the loop and was digging into the road. I welded 3/4” nuts to it and had bolts with large washers going through the tunnel but it was the first time out that year and I didn’t have them installed (haste makes waste; maybe they would have helped, who knows). I put a Metco in after that debacle and Spicer 1350s only from then on as well.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3885.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	93.9 KB
ID:	562357

Old 03-09-2021, 07:48 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Most aftermarket loops I've seen either bolt through the floor or to the trans crossmember. Apparently problems with both. There doesn't seem to be one that is attached to the frame/subframe (other than the ones integral to a tube chassis car). Perhaps the length of the bar/support from the frame to the DS would be too long with insufficient support in the event of a failure.
Btw, many years ago I saw a Mythbusters episode where they tried to catapult a car. The caveat is that it was not a performance car, and moving at relatively slow speed. The best they did was to blow the front joint so the shaft was directed into a pothole. It lifted the rear 2 feet, and crumpled the driveshaft. It was stated that the worst that may happen is the driveshaft would enter the trunk if not destroyed. Without the pothole the DS just scraped the pavement.
So, how many potholes are on a drag strip? How many on highways? None on any highways I travel, but lots on city streets were speed is relatively slow; both where cars are not under power.
Of course, my higher power cars will have loops. I am more concerned about containing the shrapnel from entering the car or exiting the car and damaging someone else or their vehicle.

66 Chevy II 461 Pontiac in AZ
Old 03-09-2021, 08:26 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Yes it seems to be about 50/50 on which one to use. I may just fab something I can weld to the floor brace. Not a lot of clearance with the 3 1/2 inch driveshaft in now.

Old 03-09-2021, 09:28 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I dropped one on my GP dirt car, it flew into the trunk (trunk floor was removed) and almost exited through the trunk lid sheet metal, it made it about half way through the deck lid.

I also knew a guy that was driving a dirt modified that had the driveshaft come through the floor, and made hamburger out of his right butt cheek.

They're dangerous for sure when they're spinning, and come loose, or break.

1984 Grand Prix

100% Pontiacs in my driveway!!! What's in your driveway?

If you don't take some of the RACETRACK home with you, Ya got cheated

Old 03-10-2021, 01:48 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Always considered a 2nd one near rear axle .
Maybe that would keep shaft from ejecting....

http://s207.photobucket.com/albums/b...hop/?start=100