THE LOBBY A gathering place. Introductions, sports, showin' off your ride, birthday-anniversary-milestone, achievements, family oriented humor.

Closed Thread

Old 02-26-2014, 09:07 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by 400 4spd. View Post
I wouldn't worry. Eventually someone will come along and whine about it so that it gets closed or moved.
Hopefully not. A LOT of misconceptions about disability are being revealed and dealt with.
This isn't political in nature at all.

Dr. Thomas Sowell
Old 02-26-2014, 09:21 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by hurryinhoosier62 View Post
Six months? Geez, Brad, you were LUCKY. It took me THREE YEARS and an ALJ (Administrative Law Judge) hearing 200 miles from home. I was blessed in the fact a lawyer friend(and several guys here)told me how to handle paperwork and hearing. My uncle went through FIVE YEARS of being poked, prodded and x-rayed for the Social Security Administration to agree his shoulder and back were deteriorating to the point where he couldn't work any more. The man couldn't raise his arm above his head. How can a millwright do his job when he can't raise his arm above his head?
The SSDI guy that handled my case in Columbus was extremely thorough and actually made me do stuff that I thought was crazy to build my case. I called him numerous times to get the status of my case and he'd tell me we still need this or that from a certain doctor. He made me get back X rays, looking back on it now the man wanted all the ducks in a row so they wouldn't deny my claim. He was spot on and told me he didn't want to leave any openings for my claim to be denied. I was 100% certain I'd get turned down because I know many others that were turned down first time they applied. I even already had an attorney picked out to handle the appeal. If it was luck, then it was one time I got lucky when I really needed it.

1984 Grand Prix

100% Pontiacs in my driveway!!! What's in your driveway?

If you don't take some of the RACETRACK home with you, Ya got cheated

Old 02-26-2014, 09:27 PM
Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by 400 4spd. View Post
I wouldn't worry. Eventually someone will come along and whine about it so that it gets closed or moved.
I suppose you know the procedure here. I'm still trying to learn it. I noticed that members can get banned here over nothing.

Old 02-26-2014, 09:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 76WS4 View Post
I suppose you know the procedure here. I'm still trying to learn it. I noticed that members can get banned here over nothing.
How so?

Members here get a lot of leeway before getting a vacation.

This topic will get closed if someone makes it political, stick to the subject at hand and you're free to discuss in the Lobby.

Politics belongs in the Club House forum only.

Old 02-26-2014, 09:48 PM
Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by b-man View Post
How so?

Members here get a lot of leeway before getting a vacation.

This topic will get closed if someone makes it political, stick to the subject at hand and you're free to discuss in the Lobby.

Politics belongs in the Club House forum only.
CanAmMan was suspended for apparently "cussing". I enjoy his posts and contributions. He has a high post count and has been here for quite some time. I don't see anything offensive he did. Tonight while going through the Lobby I see a Rex73gto suspended. I don't know what he did and may not be any of my business but I don't like the idea of having to tread lightly on a forum like this or being suspended/ banned at the drop of a hat. I love my Trans Am and so far this forum has offered a wealth of information but it disturbs me to see someone suspended unless they are bullying and disturbing others.

Old 02-26-2014, 09:56 PM

Both members were suspended for nothing?

Hardly.

77 Canamman will be back soon, using profanity to get his point across was uncalled for, so he took a short leave as a reminder.

Rex has a problem with constantly commenting in the classifieds after repeated requests to stop.

The owner of PY lets a lot slip by with a very liberal attitude, he doesn't like to suspend members.

However certain things will earn you a suspension.

Doing 'nothing' will not earn you one.

Old 02-26-2014, 10:01 PM
Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by b-man View Post
Both members were suspended for nothing?

Hardly.

77 Canamman will be back soon, using profanity to get his point across was uncalled for, so he took a short leave as a reminder.

Rex has a problem with constantly commenting in the classifieds after repeated requests to stop.

The owner of PY lets a lot slip by with a very liberal attitude, he doesn't like to suspend members.

However certain things will earn you a suspension.

Doing 'nothing' will not earn you one.
That 's good to know as I was worried this place was like the HAMB. Thanks !

Old 02-26-2014, 10:16 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirrotica View Post
The SSDI guy that handled my case in Columbus was extremely thorough and actually made me do stuff that I thought was crazy to build my case. I called him numerous times to get the status of my case and he'd tell me we still need this or that from a certain doctor. He made me get back X rays, looking back on it now the man wanted all the ducks in a row so they wouldn't deny my claim. He was spot on and told me he didn't want to leave any openings for my claim to be denied. I was 100% certain I'd get turned down because I know many others that were turned down first time they applied. I even already had an attorney picked out to handle the appeal. If it was luck, then it was one time I got lucky when I really needed it.
I was certainly lucky then. The only time I even talked to a rep from SS was when I delivered all my paperwork to the local office. (I had downloaded the application online) Then about 30 days later I got an approval letter.

HONEST JERRY'S SPEED AND EQUIPMENT
Old 02-26-2014, 10:37 PM
Suspended

Thanks. No, not lucky. That was the experience my bil had too. I don't begrudge people receiving Disability, although Steve has reacted in an extreme manner for me suggesting that everyone can give something back to someone else who needs it (or could benefit from it).

Quote:
Originally Posted by hurryinhoosier62 View Post
"PICK UP" (BTW...pick, not pic). 4 hrs. is 2 hrs. up to Mt. Dora and 2hrs. back to Palm Beach Co.. Per doctor's orders, I AM allowed to drive 3 hrs. without stopping. Additionally, per doctor's orders, I am NOT allowed to sit in a chair for more than 45mins. at a time nor stand for more than 45 mins. Likewise, I am restricted to lifting no more than 50lbs. A FEDERAL vocational expert testified under OATH before a FEDERAL administrative law judge that NO JOB EXISTED that would fit the restrictions place on me by TWO physicians. This FEDERAL vocational expert also testified under OATH that NONE of my job skills (all rated 5 on a scale of 1-5, 5 being the most difficult) would NOT transfer over to another. Not many companies need a part-time clerk (20hrs. or less) that can align bore the main saddles on a 12V149 Detroit or overhaul a TSIO520, but CAN NOT sit for more than 45 mins., stand for more than 45 mins. or lift more than 50lbs. NAME one company that will accept the liability that comes with an employee with BILATERAL FORAMINAL STENOSIS of the lumbar spine that has already undergone 3 major back surgeries, not to mention that ANOTHER surgery will be needed sometime in the future. Do YOU KNOW what BILATERAL FORAMINAL STENOSIS is? DO YOU KNOW what the prognosis for a person with this condition IS? Answer: NO. You DO know how to lodge false accusations and fabricate canards. You've been caught in too many of them. Ask ANYONE here on disability what they had to go through to receive SSDI. Ask them how many hoops they had to jump through, how many appeals they had to file, how much of their settlement was paid to an attorney. It's NOT easy IF you play by the rules. I've had too many PMs with some of these men. I've also received a LOT of encouragement and advice from the same. FYI.....walking is one of the things doctors RECOMMEND for folks with back problem to do. It strengthens your core muscle groups. You received YOUR medical degree from which medical school? What is a "bil"? I'm familiar with the acronym "BIL" or simply "brother-in-law". It's a LONG trip from CT to IN to FL when you have to stop EVERY 3 HOURS, not to mention that at the end of each day I could barely get out of the cab and WALK to the hotel room. You'll do a LOT and suffer a LOT to help your wife in her career moves........
Steve, your wife is a nurse...a nurse in the medical field...with medical connections to others in the medical field. Like all things, SOMETIMES it's who you know that gets things done.

I noticed you're creating all kinds of arguments never made just like always (canards). You've claimed lies and given no proof of one. You've claimed you can't work a job and nobody has suggested you have a "job". But driving a moving van halfway across country seems proof you are able bodied, since you brought up "work".

So, just simply answer one question, what is this magic of injury that prevents you from doing what Stephen Hawking still continues to do? Me thinks thou doth protest too much.

Disability is easy and I have proof. My bil never had an appeal because he never had a date for review, and never saw an attorney, and so there never was an appeal. He never made an appearance. He never had to do anything other than fill out the application and have a doc sign it. It took approximately 3 months for the application to be processed and he received a back payment of $9k. He has more problems than you but he still contributes something back. Now look up the prognosis of someone with Ankylosing Spondylitis. If you had to have all that convincing done to get approved, it sounds like they didn't believe you either.

You don't seem to have any issues sitting here and posting every day that you're not traveling back and forth from Fla to Indiana/Ky. Or discussing the work you're doing with heavy rear end parts on a huge Catalina. And if you can't sit for more than 45 minutes how do you manage to get caught by me twice driving from Fla through town and driving directly past my house? Seems you could read something to a veteran once a week. You could volunteer at a retarded person's work shop. You could look something up on the internet for the elderly.

Two words. Stephen Hawking.

Old 02-26-2014, 10:53 PM
Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLHarper View Post
You should see the guys in NC who hunt, boat and fish all day in season who are on disability....."bad knee, bad back, overweight, and obese so cant sit, stand or bend over"....each one has a major reason why they cant work but they can darn sure do what they want to do!

We all know its not one color anymore, and its mainly whites who just don't want to work and take the easy way out.....disability and welfare.
When we last talked about this in the CH I posted articles detailing how there is nobody showing up in court when a person appeals their disability claim denial. So they just get breezed right through and onto the dole.

We talked about the new "retirement" Baby-boomers are accessing now. There are plenty of articles being written how Disability claims are exploding for those who are tired of working.

NPR has done several studies on the topic. For instance, why would the States push for people to be on Disability instead of State Welfare programs? Because they don't pay for Disability.

Quote:
CHANA JOFFE-WALT, BYLINE: In order to turn welfare checks into paychecks the federal government needed states to want to move welfare recipients into the workforce.

Mary Daly, an economist at the San Francisco Federal Reserve, says to do this the federal government forced states to pay a much larger share of the cost of welfare.

MARY DALY: So states had every incentive to try to get their welfare case loads down.

JOFFE-WALT: Hopefully, by getting people jobs. Welfare rolls were cut in half in just a few years and we all assumed that's what was happening. But Mary Daly wondered if there wasn't a different story playing out at the same time. States wanted to get people off the rolls and save money. If they couldn't get them jobs there was another option: Disability.

Disability is a federal program paid for by the federal government. There are some exceptions, but most states don't have to pay any of that cost.
Meaning, if the states can get people on to disability...

DALY: They don't have to pay for them.

JOFFE-WALT: But they do have to pay for people who are on welfare.

DALY: They do.

Old 02-26-2014, 11:15 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigcat View Post
Sorry for putting my in but I would not turn someone in got to do what you got to do sometimes to get by Life is short AND THEN YOU DIE!
So, are you saying that it is ok to break the law and defraud taxpayers? If so, where do you draw the line on what is wrong? If he walked down to the bank and robbed it would that also be ok as long as he was doing what he needed to get by?

1978 Y88 Trans Am W72/auto
1979 10th Anniversary Trans Am
1984 Trans Am
1993 Trans Am
1999 30th Anniversary Trans Am
2001 10th anniversary Firehawk #104
2006 GTO
Old 02-26-2014, 11:18 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Zeek View Post
I was wondering the same thing. I guess everyone here who sells some parts on here or at swap meets should tell the irs how much money they are making so they can pay the proper amount of income tax.
The guy selling parts on the side wasn't what the issue was about. Reread the original post. The fraudulent collection of disability is what he is concerned about.

1978 Y88 Trans Am W72/auto
1979 10th Anniversary Trans Am
1984 Trans Am
1993 Trans Am
1999 30th Anniversary Trans Am
2001 10th anniversary Firehawk #104
2006 GTO
Old 02-26-2014, 11:24 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry H. View Post
I was certainly lucky then. The only time I even talked to a rep from SS was when I delivered all my paperwork to the local office. (I had downloaded the application online) Then about 30 days later I got an approval letter.
I owe you a debt of gratitude, Jerry. Your advice and encouragement helped me get through the SSDI nightmare. One problem I had was I was under 50 (47 at the time of filing).

Dr. Thomas Sowell
Old 02-26-2014, 11:28 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirrotica View Post
Brad,

What's funny is they(SSDI) had ALL of my x-ray, CT and MRI films plus my medical records. My docs wrote a letter together outlining my condition and their reasons for wanting me to be medically retired. What mattered is I was under 50. By the time I got to the ALJ, I'd been through 3 appeals.

Dr. Thomas Sowell
Old 02-27-2014, 08:02 AM
Suspended

The nightmare has only begun for Stephen Hawking and the rest of us supporting this system of fraud. With government colluding on the corruption we have one out and that's to quit working.

Old 02-27-2014, 08:35 AM
Ultimate Warrior

The US and most developed nations have a problem that you never hear mentioned, so it never gets addressed. As technology makes it easier to produce products with fewer people, what do you do with all of the people displaced by technology. They need a place to live and to eat too.

When I was in college in the 80s, guest lecturers were brought in to lecture on various topics affecting engineers. One guy came in and talked about how technology was going to free mankind from boring repetitive work and increase time for leisurely activities. When it came time for questions, I asked what would all of the people displaced by technology do to earn a living. His answer was it would be up to the government, to which I responded "That sounds like communism".

The expanding rolls of disability are a symptom of this problem. Between jobs disappearing offshore and technology displacing workers, options are pretty limited for somebody without a college education or the skills needed to start their own business once unemployment runs out. Flipping burgers is not going to pay enough to support a family, so collecting disability (and getting medicare) combined with making money on the side becomes the easiest way to survive with a decent standard of living.

I think most developed countries will have to make some hard choices in the coming years to deal with excess population that cannot support themselves.

Old 02-27-2014, 09:29 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I hire two or three people a year running a craigslist ad for help wanted. Every time I run an ad for roofing sheetrocking and other hard work I will get two or three people that tell me they can only work for cash because they are on disability or unemployment. I tell them that I have no need for people screwing the government.

Old 02-27-2014, 10:08 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Txbobcat View Post
I hire two or three people a year running a craigslist ad for help wanted. Every time I run an ad for roofing sheetrocking and other hard work I will get two or three people that tell me they can only work for cash because they are on disability or unemployment. I tell them that I have no need for people screwing the government.
That being said, there are plenty of hard working guys in each of these areas who, much to their own demise will continue working when hurt, broken or bruised and would never accept a handout from anyone. I've worked with broken ribs (not just cracked), my sheetrocker has worked with a spine injury and one of my carpenters worked all summer long with a degenerative hip injury.

Stupid? Yes. Ill advised? Possibly. Admirable? Absolutely!

And go racin' in the street.

Bruce Springsteen - Racing In The Street - 1978
Old 02-27-2014, 11:17 AM
Ultimate Warrior

There will be a massive review at some point.

That NPR Story last year really got the attention focused on the problem.

People who can work and currently receiving disability would be better served if they got some training or further education while out on disability.

I suspect many can work a few hours or more a day doing "something".

I know the guy near me who rides his Honda around all day (nut check) while I'm gimping off to work what is two FT jobs can....

Old 02-27-2014, 11:47 AM
Ultimate Warrior

All this would not be an issue if employees had to buy their own insurance. The government should NEVER get involved in any insurance issues, whether it SS, SSDI, Healthcare, or anything of the sort.

It's to easy for anyone to take advantage of these systems. An insurance company has enough problems on there own fighting and catching fraud, but fraud runs rampant in government programs.

If you had disability insurance on your own, being able to collect for the rest of your life would be minimized greatly.

I feel like the original poster. It bothers me that I have to bust my --- to earn a living, save for retirement, and provide for myself (for my whole life) while some people don't feel bad about living for free off the backs of others.

When I see how many people pull into a handicapped spot at a typical Walmart, it blows me away to see them get out of the car with NO issues and go about there business.

I know this is not the case with everyone, but it is ridiculous with the amount of fraud going on.

Last edited by necdb3; 02-27-2014 at 11:56 AM.
Closed Thread