Ames Customer Satisfaction Forum Post a 'current' compliment, suggestion or issue with regard to an Ames service or product.

Old 12-17-2012, 03:19 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Wood wheel parts recently ordered - very poor quality

I recently acquired an original wood wheel. Had a good phone transaction and the parts arrived quickly. I ordered basically everything but the wheel itself. One of the parts I ordered was a "collar" for $36 which goes on the underside of the wheel. In order to get this to fit properly, I of course had to modify it. With the wheel bolted up, the collar made contact with the wheel and the column. The screw holes do not line up either so the collar has a "bulge" in it. This part is the biggest chinese POS I've ever seen.

OF course, now that I've modified it it is not returnable and is well suited for my garbage can - where it BELONGS. The other parts I ordered were barely acceptable. The metal piece holding the Pontiac emblem is also chinese junk. After taking it off a couple times I can tell that the tangs that hold this thing on are gonna fall off. Very frustrating to waste money.

1968 Lemans. 37,000 original miles. GTO clone. 462ci/KRE 290 heads. UltraDyne 280/288 Solid/850 Qjet by Cliff/Performer RPM/TSP 9.5" in TH400/8.5" 3.42 gears/3950# Race weight/12.58@106 at Bandimere speedway high altitude
Old 12-19-2012, 11:52 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I have had nothing but problems with the cap that holds the lucite emblem. The tangs that hold it either break or come off. I had to make my own and JB weld them on. Real garbage in my mind.

Old 12-20-2012, 09:52 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Agree totally Bob the tangs break very easy. Broke one off trying to have it sit snug.
Will put old one back on if it rattles about.

If you always do what you always did
You always get what you always got
Old 12-20-2012, 11:34 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68lemans462 View Post
I recently acquired an original wood wheel. Had a good phone transaction and the parts arrived quickly. I ordered basically everything but the wheel itself. One of the parts I ordered was a "collar" for $36 which goes on the underside of the wheel. In order to get this to fit properly, I of course had to modify it. With the wheel bolted up, the collar made contact with the wheel and the column. The screw holes do not line up either so the collar has a "bulge" in it. This part is the biggest chinese POS I've ever seen.

OF course, now that I've modified it it is not returnable and is well suited for my garbage can - where it BELONGS. The other parts I ordered were barely acceptable. The metal piece holding the Pontiac emblem is also chinese junk. After taking it off a couple times I can tell that the tangs that hold this thing on are gonna fall off. Very frustrating to waste money.
If the collar came in contact with the column, you have a column issue. The holes not lining up may be a slightly bent wheel. This is extremely common for these wheels sinde they are very big. Was the collar you installed plastic plated chrome or diecast?

There are quite a few different reproductions made of the top chrome that holds the emblem in place. Depending on the version, some are not very good. Take a picture of the back with the clips and forward to me. I can tell you if you got a 'crappy' version. If you got from us, we can replace or refund.

Old 12-20-2012, 06:33 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Chris just a question but do you(PY) test all your products for QC and fitament?
I would think that wood wheel parts would be your expertise since the refinishing is where you got your start........
more moons ago than we care to remember.

Old 12-21-2012, 04:24 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cammer-6 View Post
Chris just a question but do you(PY) test all your products for QC and fitament?
I would think that wood wheel parts would be your expertise since the refinishing is where you got your start........
more moons ago than we care to remember.
We do not test all of our parts. Nobdy in this business does. It is literally impossible to test every part even visually let alone test it for fitment. We visually inspect a representative sample of everything that comes in. Usually about 10%. If there are any problems, then we inspect all. Fitment testing is done when products are developed but once we've received quality products, we go to the visual inspection method again.

Old 12-27-2012, 02:58 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Here's a picture of what I did to hold the tangs on, don't even know if this will work. Again, garbo.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	MVC-011F.JPG
Views:	224
Size:	63.1 KB
ID:	307380  

Old 12-28-2012, 11:06 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOB VIDAN View Post
Here's a picture of what I did to hold the tangs on, don't even know if this will work. Again, garbo.
Bob, there's a lot of pressure on those little cast rivets. Some of these parts were made in spin cast rubber molds. If that's what you got, it won't hold. If you got that from us, please get a return # and tell them that I said to see me about it. The ones we have in stock are much better.

Old 12-29-2012, 05:16 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Hat's off to ya Chris...
Good customer service...

ECM member.
2008 Outlaw Pontiac Drag Series Champion
MANDRA
Do it now fool! Life is short.

69 Grand Prix/3163lbs / IAII 535 w/ Tiger heads by Gaydosh....9.35@ 144 so far.. through mufflers. 1.26 60'.
Going back to track with pump gas engine....
My 60 Ventura retired to street/strip duty..