THE LOBBY A gathering place. Introductions, sports, showin' off your ride, birthday-anniversary-milestone, achievements, family oriented humor.

Old 12-25-2022, 10:28 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Yea I just don’t really want to invest the time trying to sell the parts.

Old 12-25-2022, 10:43 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by unruhjonny View Post
you should be able to not have your address in any listing, and meet in a public place to sell the part.

Yea don't bring anyone to your house. I meet a Home Depot parking lot or someplace local for you.

gokitty; I hear you on saving the shoe laces LOL.

TOM
Old 12-25-2022, 11:15 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I try to think of my family.At 78 I could go tango uniform any time and burden them with getting rid of the stuff.I’m trying to move some early SD stuff I’m sure I’m never going to use.Pretty much got rid of all my RA V stuff but a cam and a dizzy.just my thoughts.Tom

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to tom s For This Useful Post:
Old 12-26-2022, 03:06 AM

I have a simple rule of thumb, If it will benefits someone else more than me I sell it.

I only hoard parts, tools and projects that gets me going, if the thrill is gone I sell to give it a second life and if its not good anymore I scrap to also give it a second life as well.

Things are cheaply made nowadays , friends dont let friends buy offshore BS.

Peter

The Following User Says Thank You to besserspat For This Useful Post:
Old 12-26-2022, 11:58 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I've spent the last 20 years giving, selling, and tossing parts. The pile is smaller, but still too big. In 2023, it is really easy to find good used parts, and decent reproduction parts so I might toss a bunch of stuff this year again. Anyone want to 20+ ralley 2 wheels? many many trim rings? Probably no one. The effort to load up for a swap meet (only 2 around here per year) is not worth it for me.

Old 12-26-2022, 12:12 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Andre...I also have WAY too many Rally II wheels, and unless they're JA or JC or some other special code, who wants them? I'm never running 14's again so what to do with all theses wheels...

Old 12-26-2022, 01:06 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Ironically the only thing I did not find that I need are (4) 14” Rallye II’s!! I have a few in the backyard I might have blasted to see what shape they are in. I already bought the expensive 14” white line tires for my 69 but really want to upgrade to Rallye II’s.

I found
‘95 Firehawk wheels
‘86 Grand National wheels
15 x 10 weld wheels with 3.5” runners
Some old knock off appliance wire mags
15 x 7 Rallye II’s
‘60 full-size wheels with white walls
15” honeycombs
1 GTA mesh wheel

But no, not one 14” Rallye II.

Old 12-26-2022, 01:10 PM
Ultimate Warrior

My feeling is if you have it and can’t find it off it. If you have it and have not used it in 5 years off it complete cars would be the exception to this rule. If your older and your kids or the person that’s going to be left going through your stuff doesn’t give a care about car parts or what ever get rid of it do them the favor. The chances that getting what it’s worth goes up also with doing it yourself. I would never want to burden my family or friends with dealing with my addiction unnecessarily.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to grandam1979 For This Useful Post:
Old 12-26-2022, 01:22 PM

Reporter: Mr. Rockefeller, How Much is Enough
JDR: Just a Little Bit More

Think this has caused many of us all sorts of these issues along the way.

Old 12-26-2022, 02:32 PM
Ultimate Warrior

here’s my take and observations on Rally II wheels:

1) in the mid to late 1990’s, 14x6” wheels were the expensive ones that all the GTO guys wanted and the prices reflected the GTO owners demand - they were very expensive (at least to a twenty-something version of me);
These days 14x6” RALLY II’s are a very hard sell;
It seems like if anyone is having trouble finding them now, it’s because all the GTO’s either already have them, or they are being tossed out.

2) in the mid to late 1990’s, 15x7” wheels were fairly easy to find, and for the most part rather inexpensive;
These days the only used Rally II’s that anyone wants are those same 15x7” wheels.

It is not uncommon for 15x7” Rally II’s in my area to have an asking price of $100-200 each;
I cannot say what they sell for, because I have only bought on the lower end of that range - and only sold for what I had into them.

3) 14x7” Rally II’s are a different matter;
I have paid attention to this size for a little over a decade now because they are correct for my car (F70/14);
They don’t show up often, and as long as they are priced less that 15” rims, it appears as though they reliably sell well.

A couple years ago one of my brother’s bought a really nice set of 14x6” Rally II’s with nearly brand new tires for less than the tires were probably worth.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	16CEF9E3-20B4-41D9-BF11-FC557EE46778.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	46.2 KB
ID:	604076  

Quite likely one of few '70 Muncie three speed Formula 400's left.

1991 Grand Am: 14.4 @ 93.7mph (DA corrected) (retired DD, stock appearing)
2009 Cobalt SS: 13.9 @ 103mph (current DD; makes something north of 300hp & 350ft/lbs)
Old 12-26-2022, 04:59 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I knew a guy who tried for years to sell some 15x7 Trans Am wheels.... He finally pitched them. I know a fellow that had an LS-2 SD-455 intake manifold. After advertising it for months he finally sold it for $150..... It's a diffucult choice to make. I'm always happy if I can find a home for a part. Once it's tossed its gone forever.

I remember seeing a guy buy a bucket of Holley carburetors the night before a swap meet. The next day I saw the same bucket at another vendors spot. I'm guessing that bucket of carburetors is still visiting swap meets.

Old 12-26-2022, 06:53 PM
Ultimate Warrior

How about a virtual tour? Just a pic or two of the why-do-I-still-have-this
pile. People will naturally steer garbage they want towards their pile, and
might even offer incentives.

Just have to keep the good stuff outside the pic, or folks will try calling
dibs on those too.

Old 12-26-2022, 08:09 PM

A couple years ago I bought a childhood dream... A junkyard !

I remember the excitement when I was a teenager going in junkyards trying to find performance parts for our cars...

It was in operation from the early 60s until 5 years ago. two brothers ran it and I bought from em. It was a staple in the small town its located in. Its in a rural area and came with 60 acres of nice forest.

Over the last few years Ive got rid all the cars ( un-interesting newer cars) cleaned up the warehouses and barns, decontaminated and planted a bunch of trees and set up my machine/ fabrication shop in one of the buildings. Its like a giant time capsule, its rough looking and stuck in the 70s.

We build cars for stunts in the film industry and I work on my own little projects

So if you want to unload stuff , I've got tons of space!

Peter

Last edited by besserspat; 12-26-2022 at 08:48 PM.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to besserspat For This Useful Post:
Old 12-26-2022, 10:09 PM

Very cool, I’d love to see pics of that yard!

The Following User Says Thank You to 70L34 For This Useful Post:
Old 12-26-2022, 10:27 PM
Ultimate Warrior

1965GP...where are you located? I'd love to get rid of some of my 14" rally II's.

Old 12-27-2022, 02:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 70L34 View Post
Very cool, I’d love to see pics of that yard!
you can google map it: Franky's Boneyard thats in Shawinigan.

We also have IG : @frankysboneyard and are featured in Locations hub for Filming locations.

Franky in my great dane.

Peter

Old 12-27-2022, 10:26 AM
Senior Chief

Having a lot of stuff is a mixed blessing, like watching your mother in law go over a cliff in your favorite car.

My dad kept everything for decades. He's been gone for six years, I am still getting rid of stuff. Last year, I took off an entire week, got a dumpster delivered (dont remember if it was 30 or 40 yd). And got after it. Just cleaning out a 2 car garage and 40x60 barn (that only had a walking path)..... The dumpster was pretty full, and I made NINE trips to the scrapyard with a 2500 pickup. Not counting the two loads of stuff I gave away. The basement is the current point of effort, and its overwhelming too. Just gotta jump in and get after it. I've been paring down my own collection of moderately useful stuff recently. Its part of my Crap Into Cash program. Its a refreshing relief to get rid of stuff, I've found. As to antique furniture, well, its a damn albatross. The value is way down, and the younger folks want nothing to do with 90% of it.

The pain of getting rid of something mildly sentimental passes, and you also find out later that stuff you initially wanted to keep can now go bye-bye even easier.

Clean out your stuff and get what you can for it, while you can. If you keel over dead, most of it will go in the garbage can by a disinterested relative.

64 F-85
72 4-4-2 Mondello's VO Twister II
84 Hurst/Olds #2449
87 Cutlass Salon
54 Olds 88 sedan
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mr Anonymous For This Useful Post:
Old 12-27-2022, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith Seymore View Post
This is what I'm doing: anything rare or difficult to replace stays.

Everything else can go.

K
That's the route I will be going too!!!

Old 12-27-2022, 04:18 PM

Sell the parts you’ve been saving for the future when you come to the realization that you’re never going to use them. I’ve sold some choice items that i had been saving for 20 or 30 years, using the cash for other projects I’m currently interested in.

Sell them before the older generation that is the most interested in these parts gets too old to pursue the hobby and passes on.

As interest diminishes the value of your stash goes down. It’s not like the hobby isn’t still flourishing to an extent but don’t let your heirs be the ones to liquidate your stash.

Rather than trying to deal with selling things that let’s face it nobody really understands the value of, it usually ends up with the scrap man or in a dumpster.

The Following User Says Thank You to b-man For This Useful Post:
Old 12-27-2022, 04:47 PM

If you can still walk around in your garage or shop, you still have room for more stuff!!!!!
I say this as I gather stuff to sell @ the next swap meet!!!