Old 11-26-2023, 10:58 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Trim Tag Help

Hey guys,

On a 72 LeMans trim tag what is TR 256 A52-3? It’s a former Monarch yellow car so I’m assuming it’s a brown or ivory interior originally. Just curious, thanks
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5582.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	113.9 KB
ID:	623852  

Old 11-27-2023, 04:44 AM
Ultimate Warrior

1972 TR256 is black split-back bench seat, black door panel, headliner and floor carpet.

HTH

http://gtoaa.org/
Old 11-27-2023, 12:22 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenth View Post
1972 TR256 is black split-back bench seat, black door panel, headliner and floor carpet.

HTH
Thanks! Where did you find that?

Old 11-27-2023, 03:40 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Just saw this, fairly straight forward decode, mind you I have a few 72 Performance Pontiac A-body's & have owned many more as projects & partscars.

Being a 72 23527 bodystyle (LeMans 2 Door Post Coupe) the LeMans could only be ordered with a bench seat. The Lakewood GA style trim tag confirms this w the UPC code A52. A51 designates bucket seats in a '72 Lakewood build & could only ordered out of that assembly plant on a 2 door hardtop. No converts built out of that plant for '71 or 72. The A51 style build would show a 270 something trim combination.

For '72 Pontiac A-body's:
-the 240s trim series are the base vinyl & fabric bench interior. Have a Coupe that was originally built w the 245 trim.
-the 250's trim series denotes the optional all vinyl bench interior.
-the 260's trim series denotes the Strato (fold down arm rest) front bench interior. Most likely found in a '72 Lux LeMans, but the Strato bench could be ordered in the 2 door hardtop LeMans & LeMans Sport convert.

Knowing that the 272 trim code is Ivory bucket interior (own such a build) & 276 is the trim code for Black bucket seat interior (have owned 2), simply regressed back to the 250 series interiors with the last digit (6), thus 256 is the BLACK all vinyl bench. Ivory, Black, & Covert (light beige) are typically the 3 trim colors one will see ordered in a Monarch Yellow '72 LeMans. Over the years have parted three Monarch Yellow '72's including two T41 cars.

Originally this 03C Lakewood GA built LeMans Coupe would have been built with the exploding buckle style seatbelt. Being a late build, it will also have the 120 speedo w the "Fasten Seatbelts" window.

IF this Coupe had been built a month later, and out of the Fremont plant, it would have had the same distinctiive Irvin style buckles as used in a late '72 model F-body. Definitely a rarity.

Last edited by 'ol Pinion head; 11-27-2023 at 03:48 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to 'ol Pinion head For This Useful Post:
Old 11-28-2023, 09:41 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by 'ol Pinion head View Post
Just saw this, fairly straight forward decode, mind you I have a few 72 Performance Pontiac A-body's & have owned many more as projects & partscars.

Being a 72 23527 bodystyle (LeMans 2 Door Post Coupe) the LeMans could only be ordered with a bench seat. The Lakewood GA style trim tag confirms this w the UPC code A52. A51 designates bucket seats in a '72 Lakewood build & could only ordered out of that assembly plant on a 2 door hardtop. No converts built out of that plant for '71 or 72. The A51 style build would show a 270 something trim combination.

For '72 Pontiac A-body's:
-the 240s trim series are the base vinyl & fabric bench interior. Have a Coupe that was originally built w the 245 trim.
-the 250's trim series denotes the optional all vinyl bench interior.
-the 260's trim series denotes the Strato (fold down arm rest) front bench interior. Most likely found in a '72 Lux LeMans, but the Strato bench could be ordered in the 2 door hardtop LeMans & LeMans Sport convert.

Knowing that the 272 trim code is Ivory bucket interior (own such a build) & 276 is the trim code for Black bucket seat interior (have owned 2), simply regressed back to the 250 series interiors with the last digit (6), thus 256 is the BLACK all vinyl bench. Ivory, Black, & Covert (light beige) are typically the 3 trim colors one will see ordered in a Monarch Yellow '72 LeMans. Over the years have parted three Monarch Yellow '72's including two T41 cars.

Originally this 03C Lakewood GA built LeMans Coupe would have been built with the exploding buckle style seatbelt. Being a late build, it will also have the 120 speedo w the "Fasten Seatbelts" window.

IF this Coupe had been built a month later, and out of the Fremont plant, it would have had the same distinctiive Irvin style buckles as used in a late '72 model F-body. Definitely a rarity.
Thanks OPH, you are always a wealth of knowledge!