The Body Shop TECH General questions that don't fit in any other forum

Old 09-21-2014, 10:24 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Learning to Weld ???

Was hoping to do some light patch work on my car. Searching though some posts here it seems many are happy with the Mig 135 welder Eastwood sells. I was hoping to pick one of these up soon (or something equivilant) to start out with.

Question though where or how did you guys learn to weld? Would books or videos suffice or do you guys recommend taking a class at something like a local college? Any advice would be great thanks!

Old 09-21-2014, 12:20 PM
Ultimate Warrior

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5KrwmK7df-s I have watched a few of these vids.get some scrap and have some fun.

Old 09-24-2014, 01:16 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I guess there are not to many doing welding and sheet metal work on thier own here.

We have an Eastwood retail store close by and they hold Welding 101 classes of $40 each. I'll be an expert in a few months

Old 09-24-2014, 01:26 PM
Ultimate Warrior

There are quite a few on here that do their own welding...some professionally. Probably just didn't see the post. I know I didn't and I'm on here a lot.
Anyway, I did the same thing you're planning to do, didn't take any classes and I've made some good welds and some bad ones. I bought a Clarke 180. It's a 220vac model. Sheet metal is tough to weld, especially when it's old and thin. The heavy stuff is very easy to make look good but still may not b e structurally sound.
Classes certainly wouldn't hurt but are not absolutely necessary by any means. As stated, get yourself some scrap metal and start experimenting. After that, if you feel you need classes, go ahead. Might not be a bad idea.

Last edited by Greg Reid; 09-24-2014 at 01:33 PM.
Old 09-24-2014, 01:38 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I just kind of learned as I went. Started welding on floor patches that wouldn't be seen anyway if the work wasn't good. Just practice tacking scraps together at first, the class is a good idea. It is pretty easy, the hard part is making sure your new panels fit right and getting them cut and fit properly prior to welding. If the welds aren't pretty, that is what grinders are for.

1968 GTO 4-spd convertible, console, factory gauges, hidden headlights, 3.90:1 posi, AM/FM radio.

1962 Catalina convertible, Starlight black w maroon interior & white top.
Old 09-24-2014, 01:55 PM
Ultimate Warrior

The other thing is to make sure the metal is as clean and rust free as possible. Don't try to save metal by sparing rust. In other words, cut or grind all of the rusty metal away even if it takes away more of your panel than you were expecting.
PS- If you get a chance Norm, post a pic of the areas you want to work on.

Old 09-24-2014, 02:20 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Pretty much everything Greg and Web said. Especially starting with invisible welds and the floor (or similar) due to positioning.

Welding vertically and upside-down are vastly more difficult and usually require slight adjustments to the machine, like changing the wire-feed speed. However, you have to establish a 'base line' for your particular machine by welding in the best setup- clean, horizontal metal. If I go vertical, I have to take my speed up about .5 to 1 'unit' on the dial.

Speaking of that, a lot of MIG welding is indeed learning 'your machine'. They all seem to be slightly different for some reason. Mine is a considered a cheapo unit (Campbell-Hausfeld plug-in) but it works perfectly and has done so for 10 years now, although I only put hobbiest-level use on it. I do wish it had more adjustment for the power though- 4 settings only does kinda suck.

Random tips-
Avoid MIG welding outside if at all possible. Even the slightest breeze can blow away the shielding gas and cause the weld to go haywire. You'll get on-off welding that creates a worthless "stack of dimes" of weldment with zero penetration and tons of pores.

If you are thinking "Flux core" think again. I've tried it and found it to be horrendous. Spatter everywhere and so much smoke I couldnt see what I was doing. Can it be done? Sure, but I'll take the argon first any day.

A basic auto-darkening helmet is worth every penny IMO. Greatly improved my work.

Beware of excessive weld grinding on 'skin' metal. I've read that you can put as much heat into metal grinding as you do welding and this can result in warpage. Just like welding, move around a lot when grinding on visible sheet metal that has to be smooth.

-J

Old 09-24-2014, 03:44 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I bought the Harbor Frieght auto darkening helmet.very happy with it and i have had it a year at least..

Old 09-24-2014, 05:56 PM
Ultimate Warrior

If you know anyone who is a good welder ask them to show you the basics. Especially how to set up your machine for different conditions. An hour with them is worth all the books you can read and days of playing with the welder by yourself.

Old 09-24-2014, 08:25 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I have a Hobart Handler 14 0 with an 80cf bottle of 75/25. I've never welded and bought it last year to learn, so I'm basically in the same boat as OP. For me it's a time issue. The welder is still in the box and I got it last November on a good sale from Northern Tool...

'69 Firebird 400/461, 290+ E D-Ports, HR 230/236, 4l80E, 8.5 Rear, 3.55 gears
'64 LeMans 400/461, #16 Heads, HR 230/236, TKO600, 9inch Rear, 3.89 gears
'69 LeMans Vert, 350, #47 heads: Non-running project
Old 09-24-2014, 09:08 PM

Smile

Hi Guys, well i thought id give my 2cents worth. goatracer1 has a great point. i am a journyman welder and i could help someone learn sheet metal or any welding in a very short period of time. now, not to take away from a class, cause ive taken many, just doing it with someone who knows, you learn pretty fast. iirc. it seems i read about eastwood welders being hard to get parts if you need them. i would stick with the major brands.not only are parts easy to get, if you dont need the welder anymore, major brands are easy to sell. i use a miller welder with 75/25 works really well. good luck and practice,practice,practice

Old 09-24-2014, 09:51 PM
Ultimate Warrior

My opinion, if you can take a class I would suggest you do it. MIG welding is relatively easy to do with experience, but also easy to weld something that looks good but isn't fused properly (talking more about angle iron & tubing).

My only formal welding experience was grade 10 welding for a semester 25 years ago....I learned how to use torches and a stick welder, and in my 20's I bought a small AC stick welder and made alot of things with it. Looking back, I can clearly see that the stuff I made at the start was "bubble gum" welding and the stuff 10 years later was much better.

When I finally bought a MIG welder the transition was easy and I definitely found it easier to use than a stick welder, but I am happy I learned the basics about penetration, technique, etc. I also agree with Blue TA, you might want to consider investing in a name brand machine that is easy to get parts for, and I would also suggest buying the biggest machine you can afford, preferably a 240V machine from Hobart, Miller or Lincoln Electric. Even if you are only working on sheet metal now, once you get the hang of it you might want to build other things out of metal and a 120V machine will limit what you can do. I realize I am recommending you spend more $$, but a bit more now for a machine that will do your current and future needs will be cheaper than buying a machine now and upgrading later.

I think if I had no prior experience, trying to learn to run a MIG on my own might be difficult. I know alot of people have done it, but any help you can get learning a new skill is worth it, especially considering the challenge of welding thin metal.

Every patch I have put in my car has been via butt welding, and I am sure I could not have done that without prior experience.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF2421.JPG
Views:	54
Size:	241.8 KB
ID:	377197  

Oshawa built 1 option Judge basket case. 463, SD KRE 295's, CNC'd factory intake, Cliff's Qjet, Stump Puller HR cam, RARE RA manifolds, Pypes exhaust, T56 Magnum, McLeod RXT clutch, 3.42 12 bolt. 24 year project almost done...

Last edited by mrennie; 09-24-2014 at 10:07 PM.
Old 09-25-2014, 04:03 AM
Ultimate Warrior

If you can take a class for $40, do it.

I had zero experience, but wanted to learn so I bought an Eastwood welder. Then I asked a lot of questions and got advice on this forum, which came down to use gas, use small dia wire, get an auto-darkening helmet, get some copper backing plates. All good input.

It took a few sessions of practice and burning a lot of holes in sheet metal before I thought about touching my car, but I eventually got a fender patch installed and am happy with it.

Having never welded before, it took a while to figure out some real basic stuff a class would give you, like how to adjust settings if things aren't right and how to approach butting thin sheets vs dissimilar thickness and lap joints.

I still can't weld worth beans, but I am no longer intimidated by trying and it is fun. I just welded some bucket seat brackets to my floor pan last weekend and it wasn't pretty, but they aren't going anywhere and I feel good about doing it.

I had a real hard time understanding shrinkage, and fixing it was a royal pain. Again, a class would probably get you past this in a hurry.

Good luck and hope you enjoy it.

Old 09-25-2014, 06:47 AM

I purchased a Millermatic 211 over a year ago - zero welding experience when I got it other than watching professional pipe fitters at work. I love it, but don't have any experience with any other welder. From what I was told by the welders - I got a good unit - some of them wish they had one @ home!
I am learning on scrap pieces as well as fixing up our rusted out garden tractor cart. I have gotten much better over time.

Old 09-25-2014, 12:30 PM

I would agree with Goatracer1. If you know anyone that can weld and they don't mind you watching them and asking a lot of questions that would be best. I 1st. learned to weld oxy/acet from my uncle who worked in the New Jersey ship yards during WW2 building battleships. Welding is a lot of fun,and once you learn how it's a skill you don't forget.
good luck.

Old 09-25-2014, 12:39 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Got a Lincoln mig - pak from HD years ago as a starter set. Years later I still use it after I added auto dark helmet, mig bottle, and gas regulator from HF. It has handled all my needs so far, including 2 quarter panel replacements, 3/4 of a firebird floorpan, trunk pan, fender patches, windshield channels, and numerous bracket and cross member mods.

It's the best tool you can buy as a diy car guy. $40 is worth it for a class, but the Internet and trial/error can learn ya up real good too.

Good tips so far too. X2 on outdoor welding with a breeze. I've also become pretty proficient at being able to increase my stick out so that I can fill back in a hole after burn through. My stuff isn't super pretty, but it cleans up pretty good with the grinder.

Old 09-25-2014, 12:42 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squidward View Post
...dark helmet, ...
Uh, huh, huh... Accidental "Spaceballs" reference!

Old 09-25-2014, 01:44 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I want to mention one thing that I want anyone playing around with learning to weld to remember..Be watchful of FIRE.
It is unbelievably easy to burn your car, your house or yourself to smithereens welding. You can start a fire 20 or 30 minutes after you've left home or gone in to take a shower.
Be vigilant. Look around frequently while welding...as in every minute or so. Stop welding at least an hour or so before you have to go in or away. Don't leave any towels laying around in the work area while welding...and definitely no flammables.
It's easy to get in the zone with that dark helmet on and not realize something's on fire until you feel the heat from it behind you or somewhere.
Not preaching but telling you what I learned from experience.

Old 09-25-2014, 05:03 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Reid View Post
I want to mention one thing that I want anyone playing around with learning to weld to remember..Be watchful of FIRE.
It is unbelievably easy to burn your car, your house or yourself to smithereens welding. You can start a fire 20 or 30 minutes after you've left home or gone in to take a shower.
Be vigilant. Look around frequently while welding...as in every minute or so. Stop welding at least an hour or so before you have to go in or away. Don't leave any towels laying around in the work area while welding...and definitely no flammables.
It's easy to get in the zone with that dark helmet on and not realize something's on fire until you feel the heat from it behind you or somewhere.
Not preaching but telling you what I learned from experience.
Great point Greg, and one I can relate to. This is embarrassing, but a good example of how easy things can go wrong.

Several years ago I was tacking together a frame out of square tubing, and nearby there was a bedsheet covering another project I was working on to keep the dust off it. My intent was to tack the tubing, then take the frame outside and weld it up. I never gave the sheet a second thought. Well, it was a hot day, but also windy, so I thought I would open my garage door to get some cool air blowing through. (You can see where this is going, right?)

A spark from the last tack I made got onto the bedsheet, and started on fire. I had no idea this was going on until I flipped up my welding helmet, and by then the flames were licking the ceiling. The interior of my garage is sheathed in OSB, so my first thought was that I was going to burn the whole thing down. I should also mention, my garage is attached to my house . This was going to be bad.

So, I grabbed the nearest fire extinguisher, and pulled the pin, and NOTHING happened for at least 1 second, which was enough time for me to think "holy @#$^, I am going to lose my garage, house, and everything I own because of my stupidity". I live in the country and I doubt the fire trucks would be there in time if I had a real fire.

The extinguisher was an old one, and I don't know why there was a delay, but after about 1.5 seconds the powder came out as it should and the fire was put out quickly. There was no damage other than the sheet being incinerated, but the mess of dumping a fire extinguisher inside the garage took me weeks to clean up. It was EVERYWHERE. The worst part was, when I finally got the fire out and calmed down enough to go in the house and tell my wife what had happened, she didn't even know about it. I still shudder to think what would have happened if she would have been asleep and I didn't get the fire out by myself.

So Greg's advice is good, and I could not agree more. I now have at least 6 fire extinguishers in my garage (all over the place, just in case), but as the saying goes, better to prevent the fire in the first place. Wood, plastic, solvents, rags, paper, jackets, etc. are all potential flammables if the conditions are right. Be safe!

Oshawa built 1 option Judge basket case. 463, SD KRE 295's, CNC'd factory intake, Cliff's Qjet, Stump Puller HR cam, RARE RA manifolds, Pypes exhaust, T56 Magnum, McLeod RXT clutch, 3.42 12 bolt. 24 year project almost done...
Old 09-25-2014, 07:16 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrennie View Post
Great point Greg, and one I can relate to. This is embarrassing, but a good example of how easy things can go wrong.

Several years ago I was tacking together a frame out of square tubing, and nearby there was a bedsheet covering another project I was working on to keep the dust off it. My intent was to tack the tubing, then take the frame outside and weld it up. I never gave the sheet a second thought. Well, it was a hot day, but also windy, so I thought I would open my garage door to get some cool air blowing through. (You can see where this is going, right?)

A spark from the last tack I made got onto the bedsheet, and started on fire. I had no idea this was going on until I flipped up my welding helmet, and by then the flames were licking the ceiling. The interior of my garage is sheathed in OSB, so my first thought was that I was going to burn the whole thing down. I should also mention, my garage is attached to my house . This was going to be bad.

So, I grabbed the nearest fire extinguisher, and pulled the pin, and NOTHING happened for at least 1 second, which was enough time for me to think "holy @#$^, I am going to lose my garage, house, and everything I own because of my stupidity". I live in the country and I doubt the fire trucks would be there in time if I had a real fire.

The extinguisher was an old one, and I don't know why there was a delay, but after about 1.5 seconds the powder came out as it should and the fire was put out quickly. There was no damage other than the sheet being incinerated, but the mess of dumping a fire extinguisher inside the garage took me weeks to clean up. It was EVERYWHERE. The worst part was, when I finally got the fire out and calmed down enough to go in the house and tell my wife what had happened, she didn't even know about it. I still shudder to think what would have happened if she would have been asleep and I didn't get the fire out by myself.

So Greg's advice is good, and I could not agree more. I now have at least 6 fire extinguishers in my garage (all over the place, just in case), but as the saying goes, better to prevent the fire in the first place. Wood, plastic, solvents, rags, paper, jackets, etc. are all potential flammables if the conditions are right. Be safe!
I've done it too...Twice in the SAME DAY. That's why I always remind people that are new to welding just how easily fire can happen.
I set a towel off in the trunk of my car and didn't realize it until I felt the heat. Almost in a panic, I pulled the towel out, got it away from everything and stamped it out. I caught my breath as I took a moment to realize what could have happened if the fuel tank had gotten hot enough to start venting.
After I gathered myself, I went back to welding. Five minutes or so later, I thought I felt heat again. I raised the helmet and the same towel that I had just put out had started up again on it's own. That was at least 10 minutes after I'd stamped it out. That really was an awakening as I realized how long something like that can smolder after you walk away. That's why I tell people to make sure you leave yourself some time at the end of work to keep an eye on everything before you leave your work.
I'll tell you all, it's scary when you think about how easily it can happen but just a little care and forethought can prevent it.