Pontiac - Street No question too basic here!

Old 03-04-2022, 02:00 AM
Senior Chief

Default Extended Length Main Spring Dowel Pins?

I'm replacing the dented oil pan on my '77 W72 400 (557 block with thin main webs). While I'm in there, I'm also replacing the main bolts with studs and changing the rear main seal, which is leaking.

I was considering replacing the stock spring dowel pins with longer ones. I'd prefer to switch to extended length solid dowel pins, but I'm not planning to have the block machined for at least a year or so. For now it's going back together as-is, so I'll stick with spring dowel pins. Are there any extended length options out there? Or should I just re-use the originals?

Old 03-04-2022, 07:49 AM
Senior Chief

If you are not machining stuff NOW...leave them alone. They are LOCATORS; therefore, they only need about .030 worth of on-size contact to LOCATE. The BOLTS hold the cap in place....in a perfect world you would/should be able to remove ALL locators after something is bolted together and everything still be perfect!! (we are not in that world...YET)

The Following User Says Thank You to 67Fbird For This Useful Post:
Old 03-04-2022, 09:22 AM
Senior Chief

Installing studs will also require an align hone, so better off sticking with the bolts for now also…

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ID67goat For This Useful Post:
Old 03-04-2022, 10:03 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Leave the stock "roll" pins in there. They will work better than the solid dowels for your application. I just save you money and bother.... Take the wife/GF/significant other out for a nice dinner with the savings.

Old 03-04-2022, 11:22 AM
Ultimate Warrior

The factory bolts (which I've never seen fail) also provide excellent support and alignment by design. I use and prefer them to aftermarket studs and dating back well over 40 years now have had zero issues in that area unless the power level of the block was being exceeded........FWIW.....

73 Ventura, SOLD 455, 3740lbs, 11.30's at 120mph, 1977 Pontiac Q-jet, HO intake, HEI, 10" converter, 3.42 gears, DOT's, 7.20's at 96mph and still WAY under the roll bar rule. Best ET to date 7.18 at 97MPH (1/8th mile),
The Following User Says Thank You to Cliff R For This Useful Post:
Old 03-04-2022, 11:57 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Agree to all responses. Mid 11's during 80's with a stock block.
Just good machine work etc. No bearing issues till wanting more with n2o in 90s .

http://s207.photobucket.com/albums/b...hop/?start=100

Last edited by Region Warrior; 03-04-2022 at 12:09 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Region Warrior For This Useful Post:
Old 03-04-2022, 12:39 PM
Senior Chief

Thanks all!

Old 03-04-2022, 04:04 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Yep. Any changes to roll pins, bolts, lube or torque specs will require line hone. I would leave it alone, use light engine oil on the stock bolts and torque to factory specs.

The Following User Says Thank You to mgarblik For This Useful Post: