Old 03-10-2022, 02:08 AM

The rear steer first generation subframe would eliminate having to change the radiator and the support

Old 03-10-2022, 09:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Putter View Post
Putter here I did a 54 Chevy sedan delivery with 74 Camaro subframe drives like a champ had to fabricate new radiator support and build a radiator but drives just like a Camaro that car had a bent frame so I didn’t mind cutting it off

That definitely sounds like the way to go, Fatman fab makes a frame I can put for my car just not sure I wanna do it. I’m stuck between original and the fact it’s all in really nice shape on my car. But I do hate the way she drives alittle lol tough decisions

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Old 03-10-2022, 10:38 AM

I also have done a Heights mustang two front end on a 48 Chevy sedan delivery that worked very nice and did not have to change the radiator or cut the frame hope this helps

Old 03-10-2022, 10:40 AM

Quote:
The rear steer first generation subframe would eliminate having to change the radiator and the support

I think that’s what fatman has.

Old 03-10-2022, 09:21 PM
Ultimate Warrior

A lot of custom cars use a Crown Vic/Grand Marquis/ Lincoln Town Car front cross member. It unbolts with all the steering and suspension connected to it. You only have to bolt it to your original frame. If it is close to the correct width it might be a good choice.

Old 03-10-2022, 10:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goatracer1 View Post
A lot of custom cars use a Crown Vic/Grand Marquis/ Lincoln Town Car front cross member. It unbolts with all the steering and suspension connected to it. You only have to bolt it to your original frame. If it is close to the correct width it might be a good choice.

Didn’t know that, that’s not a bad choice if it’s rear steering?

Old 03-13-2022, 10:15 AM

Also new here, but have been lurking for a while.
I have a 1957 Star Chief and am also considering changing up the front end.
I am thinking about the Fatman sub/stub frame which is based on Mustang II geometry.
I am curious if anyone has gone this route and how it might compare to other options.
Attached is a somewhat crappy pic of the Fatman stub frame.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	56_pontiac_fatman_frame.jpg
Views:	125
Size:	27.6 KB
ID:	586187  

Old 03-13-2022, 02:25 PM

Default To cut or not to cut

Using the Heidt’s mustang 2 setup you do not have to cut the frame off it replaces the stock crossmember. That was on a 1948 Chevy sedan delivery…Pontiac may be different., but it worked very slick on the delivery. Let me know and or I will keep you informed if I find more information pertaining to Pontiac’s as I have a 1956 Catalina 2 door coupe to do also

The Following User Says Thank You to Putter For This Useful Post:
Old 03-13-2022, 02:33 PM

Another advantage to using the crossmember from heidt’s is that the front end and bumper bolt up to the stock frame as does the radiator.

The Following User Says Thank You to Putter For This Useful Post:
Old 03-16-2022, 10:42 AM

Heidts does make some really nice stuff but I am not aware of them having a kit for the tri-5 Pontiacs:

https://www.heidts.com/parts/crossmembers/

I think the issue with the Pontiac is that the front frame bulges out on the sides to capture the coil springs and all of that would have to get carved off, so you are going to have to butcher up the frame pretty badly.

My understanding of the Fatman stub frame kit is that it mimics the engine chin mount pad and locations for the radiator support and bumpers, so after welding in, everything should bolt back together (at least in theory...). It is also built on a jig so everything should be lined up accurately. Due to differences in the M2 track width I think Fatman adds an inch to each side, and extends the rack ends out the same.

I'd appreciate any further info you have on the subject. How did your Chevy conversion handle, and how was the turning (parking) radius?

Old 03-17-2022, 04:26 PM

Quote:
Using the Heidt’s mustang 2 setup you do not have to cut the frame off it replaces the stock crossmember. That was on a 1948 Chevy sedan delivery…Pontiac may be different., but it worked very slick on the delivery. Let me know and or I will keep you informed if I find more information pertaining to Pontiac’s as I have a 1956 Catalina 2 door coupe to do also

I’m going to look into that heidt’s crossmember I’ll definitely let you know.

Old 03-18-2022, 08:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hfpjr76 View Post
I’m going to look into that heidt’s crossmember I’ll definitely let you know.

I’m also looking into having a company making a set of control arms to mount in the stock locations.

Old 03-18-2022, 10:10 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
I’m also looking into having a company making a set of control arms to mount in the stock locations.
A lower control arm with ball joints would fit '55-'58 Pontiac & Olds.
Who knows what the market is but I think they would sell. All that would be needed is some way to mount an upper ball joint

Given some good neg caster, handling would improve..

Now all we need is an aftermarket sway bar!

Still have my 1st Firebird
7th Firebird
57 Starchief
Old 03-18-2022, 10:17 PM

[QUOTE=694.1;6327759]
Quote:

A lower control arm with ball joints would fit '55-'58 Pontiac & Olds.
Who knows what the market is but I think they would sell. All that would be needed is some way to mount an upper ball joint

Given some good neg caster, handling would improve..

Now all we need is an aftermarket sway bar!

I’ve seen some stuff on mounting the upper ball but wasn’t a fan looked rough. Who have you reached out too? I’ve spoken with Michigan metal works they want my factory arms to make a jig off of. I think I’m going to look for a used set to send instead of pulling my car apart and have it down.

Old 03-19-2022, 01:26 AM

PontiacSafari.com, in Garage section has an article on king pin to ball joint swap, might fit into your plans! Kingman Man

2000 Dodge Grand Caravan w w/c lift
2000 Kia Sportage 4 dr
The Following User Says Thank You to Kingman Man For This Useful Post:
Old 03-19-2022, 08:27 AM

My experience with 56's I had.

The first one I got was a bit rough, I cut the frame and put in a 77 trans am subframe, it actually fit pretty good for track width. The engine was going to sit way to low in the stock mounts so something would have had to be fabbed for that.

I found another one that had a great body, gave up on the first one.

I looked into doing the 58 arm swap, but the more I thought about it, I just looked into the original suspension.
I had to replace a few pieces, control arm shaft, and one kingpin. Took apart and cleaned anything that didn't take grease easily.
There is an alignment shop with a guy that's pretty sharp in the area here.

I had the car done for about 7 yrs before I sold it, ( didn't drive it that much) but it would cruise down the interstate 70 mph pretty easily.
I would have liked to upgrade it to PS with the 605 swap but never got to it.
I did use a scarebird disc conversion on the front to improve the brakes..
I used a 59 389 with a set of 57 exhaust manifolds, 58 bellhousing, saginaw 4 speed to get around the steering box and avoid mount problems.

Good luck with your project
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	003.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	87.0 KB
ID:	586568  

The Following User Says Thank You to buds56 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-21-2022, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buds56 View Post
My experience with 56's I had.

The first one I got was a bit rough, I cut the frame and put in a 77 trans am subframe, it actually fit pretty good for track width. The engine was going to sit way to low in the stock mounts so something would have had to be fabbed for that.

I found another one that had a great body, gave up on the first one.

I looked into doing the 58 arm swap, but the more I thought about it, I just looked into the original suspension.
I had to replace a few pieces, control arm shaft, and one kingpin. Took apart and cleaned anything that didn't take grease easily.
There is an alignment shop with a guy that's pretty sharp in the area here.

I had the car done for about 7 yrs before I sold it, ( didn't drive it that much) but it would cruise down the interstate 70 mph pretty easily.
I would have liked to upgrade it to PS with the 605 swap but never got to it.
I did use a scarebird disc conversion on the front to improve the brakes..
I used a 59 389 with a set of 57 exhaust manifolds, 58 bellhousing, saginaw 4 speed to get around the steering box and avoid mount problems.

Good luck with your project
Pleas tell me all you can remember about the 389 swap?

2000 Kia Sportage 4 dr
Old 03-21-2022, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingman Man View Post
PontiacSafari.com, in Garage section has an article on king pin to ball joint swap, might fit into your plans! Kingman Man
Yes, I adorePontiacSafari. Have the article, just deleted about 8 extre copies I had.

2000 Kia Sportage 4 dr
Old 03-21-2022, 03:04 PM

Quote:
Pleas tell me all you can remember about the 389 swap?
I am in the process of setting up a 1960 389 for my 57 star chief. The 59 is probably the most straight forward, probably drop in. The 1960 still has the chin mount, adds side mount points, and changes the cooling system from reverse flow to conventional. After 1960 you need to do considerable part swapping in order to preserve the chin mount. There is much more that I am doing while in there but probably should be in a new thread.

Old 03-21-2022, 09:47 PM

Quote:

I’ve read that many times good luck trying to find 59 control arms & if you do the want a mint.