THE LOBBY A gathering place. Introductions, sports, showin' off your ride, birthday-anniversary-milestone, achievements, family oriented humor.

Old 04-26-2022, 11:02 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Holden-commodore-ss-ute-for-sale-in-the-us-under-mysterious-circumstances

What might be the REAL truth behind this????

https://www.drive.com.au/news/holden...nces/#comments

https://carsandbids.com/auctions/rJ2...ute-conversion

I see the auction has now been cancelled. I would have run a mile away from that one. What's the chances that it is a car stolen in Australia and the US "owner" has swapped the VIN details. I would love to pull up the carpet and check what the REAL VIN is.

Old 04-26-2022, 11:40 PM
Ultimate Warrior

what could have been

The Following User Says Thank You to Scarebird For This Useful Post:
Old 04-26-2022, 11:45 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I was working at a Pontiac Dealer at the time when the UTE was being talked about here...... I was just waiting for the order forms to put my order in........... When Pontiac became no more...... sad

400HO / TKX 3.27 1ST GEAR-.72OD / 3.36 POSI
HOTCHKIS/UMI/BILSTEIN
Old 04-27-2022, 07:44 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I wouldnt touch that car with someone elses money!! Way to fishy for my tastes. Not only all the nonsense with parts swapping but did the police package even have a 6 speed?
I really like the looks of them though, I bet they would have sold faster than they could have made them over here. I have seen 1 in person, I think the guy said someone was importing them for sale. Surprised you dont see more of them around.

Old 04-27-2022, 09:58 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I expect the UTE segment to grow, at least around here. Maybe not exacly like the Holdens, but we have the Hyundai Santa Cruz here and they are selling like hotcakes. I kind of like the way they look. I forget the nomenclature on them. Something like "Active Lifestyle Vehicle", or ALV. I'd like to see something similar from Toyota.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Hyundai Santa Cruz.jpeg
Views:	133
Size:	8.6 KB
ID:	589530  

The Following User Says Thank You to 66sprint6 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-27-2022, 10:12 AM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by 66sprint6 View Post
I expect the UTE segment to grow, at least around here. Maybe not exacly like the Holdens, but we have the Hyundai Santa Cruz here and they are selling like hotcakes. I kind of like the way they look. I forget the nomenclature on them. Something like "Active Lifestyle Vehicle", or ALV. I'd like to see something similar from Toyota.
I am surprised that those Hyundai’s are popular, Subaru tried with the Baja, and not really the same category but kind of the same concept the Chevy Avalanche didn’t do so well either.

Old 04-27-2022, 11:46 AM

I looked at the Hyundai USA website and they do show the Santa Cruz is available in the states. However, while I've seen various Hyundai SUVs around I don't think I've ever seen the Santa Cruz. Kia seems to be the more popular Korean brand in Minnesota, their cars are pretty common on the streets.

Old 04-28-2022, 06:54 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Anyone remember the Subaru Brat? I dont see a large market for those kind of cars here. Not quite sure why they are so popular in Aus. but maybe because they have had them for 100 years now and are part of the culture. I think they are neat looking vehicles but I also think of practicality. And these are not very practical. Not enough bed to put anything in, especially if you want the cargo secured i.e. luggage. A small SUV makes a lot more sense.

Old 04-28-2022, 10:07 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Funny that you should mention the Brat. I was just watching one on BAT and it went for good money. Definitely a nostalgic buy.
I believe that the advantage of the Santa Cruz, above SUV's and crossover vehicles, is that the cabin is enclosed like a car. I have had other wagons/SUV's, including my current Toyota Venza and they are defintely louder on the road with the big open interior out back. Also, you can throw stuff back there and not have to worry about the interior finishes like an SUV.

Old 04-28-2022, 01:19 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Why GM rejected this concept is not a apples to apples comparison. Both 2 door, but drive line and body were much more expensive on the SSR which had horrid sales..
The " BRAT" was 2 door, Volkswagen had one as well, even a diesel!
The " Baja" was a success. In fact the last year they were produced, they build many thousands " extra" to be able to sell in the following year due to US demand.
The demand for these ( Santa Cruz) IS , or seems to be regional. Manufacturers have made them in both eco, power, and in 4x4 versions to help cross that gap. They are in demand here ( 4x4) and can't get them fast enough.
For those with a pick up truck a few studies have found the bed is used 10% of the time, and when it is used Only 35% of the bed gets used. These are averages, but make sense for non business owners.
I bet Subaru is Watching...

Old 04-28-2022, 05:16 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Interesting about the pickup bed. In my case I use it 100% of the time and use 100% of it. At times it would be nice if it were a couple of feet longer!

Im sure you may be aware but the brat had seats in the bed area to avoid higher import taxes on trucks. It was considered a sedan.

Old 04-29-2022, 02:59 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by TAKerry View Post
Interesting about the pickup bed. In my case I use it 100% of the time and use 100% of it. At times it would be nice if it were a couple of feet longer!

Im sure you may be aware but the brat had seats in the bed area to avoid higher import taxes on trucks. It was considered a sedan.
All caps. BRAT. It's an acronym. Bi-drive Recreational All-terrain Transporter.
And they had a "Halo Twin Roof", a weird way of saying T-tops.