Old 05-08-2022, 04:28 PM
Senior Chief

Default 78 y82 project question

Got this message on my ebay auction:

"seller, i wouldnt sell that car for any less then 10,000. i sold a 77 se body was very rusty with non matching engine and trans for 9200. good luck with yours seller!!!!!"

he could just be messing with me. my reserve is 3900. but i think i'll let this auction ride out tomorrow. what say you PY members?
anyone have an opinion?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/36382485824...p2471758.m4703

Old 05-09-2022, 02:04 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I's be happy with your reserve...on that one...

Old 05-09-2022, 07:28 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I agree..

1977 Trans Am, 400/M21 Black/Gold Bandit. 44K actual miles

2017 Sierra SLT 1500 Z71 4X4

2019 Canyon SLT Crew 4X4

Old 05-10-2022, 04:30 AM
Suspended

I don't think it matters how high others claim the reserve should be, if it doesn't meet your current reserve anyway.

Old 05-10-2022, 11:10 AM
Senior Chief

Seems like one of those “free if you haul it away” cars, but then again I am often out of touch with the market when I see the prices that people are getting for some of these cars…

Old 05-10-2022, 08:52 PM
Suspended

At least the VIN, engine and build plate may survive, bolted to another vehicle! Unusual that a Norwood build-plate doesn't mention the SE option, that was their thing.

Old 05-10-2022, 09:28 PM
Senior Chief

So this generation rebodies cars that need floor pans and lower quarters, Trevor? I no was just talking to a kid that was bidding on my car and he said there’s one in San Antonio for 1500. “An SE for 1500” I said. “Let me see” It was a standard TA. I had to tell him my car was worth 15-30k more restored then a standard TA. Guys were calling me offering me half my reserve. Where you gonna find another numbers matching y82 for 4000?

Old 05-10-2022, 09:34 PM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by ID67goat View Post
Seems like one of those “free if you haul it away” cars, but then again I am often out of touch with the market when I see the prices that people are getting for some of these cars…
I’ve been doing this well over 35 years. Have won at NATS w cars I’ve restored. Two members on the 77-81 thread said 4000 was very reasonable. Two dealers of SEs messaged me not to give it away at 4. The floor pans are hammered from the hurst hatch issues and only one lower quarter is rusty otherwise straight clean car.

Old 05-10-2022, 10:12 PM
Suspended

Obviously my comment was tongue in cheek, but also not far from what many may think the true value was. This Generation? Yeah ok. one may say that if you have to replace most the vehicle panels due to rust or damage, it's almost rebodied anyway. Feel free to spend the money, have it fully restored and then sell, for that extra profit. Worth more and cost more are very different things. A profit doesn't always mean it was worthwhile. There's more of a drain than just cash. Hopefully you find someone willing to take on the project.
And many a kid, or old man, just want the look of an SE at a fraction of the price. Of course, others want the real thing. To many, there's little difference, they are happy and no one else wants to even climb under to confirm numbers, they don't care, they are cool cars.

Last edited by Trevor78; 05-10-2022 at 10:24 PM.
Old 05-10-2022, 10:29 PM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevor78 View Post
Obviously my comment was tongue in cheek, but also not far from what many may think the true value was. This Generation? Yeah ok. one may say that if you have to replace most the vehicle panels due to rust or damage, it's almost rebodied anyway. Feel free to spend the money, have it fully restored and then sell, for that extra profit. Worth more and cost more are very different things. A profit doesn't always mean it was worthwhile. There's more of a drain than just cash. Hopefully you find someone willing to take on the project.
I took your numbers swapping comment literally. My mistake. We see things things quite differently. I was offered 6 twice bringing it home on the trailer ten years ago. Maybe being able to walk up to it and touch it and crawl under it to see how solid it is makes a difference. I don’t know. Maybe restoration has changed. Maybe the market has changed. I’m not going to get bunged up over people disagreeing with me about the value of a car though. As you read, there are people who agree with me on the car and there are people who disagree. That part has always been consistent. …about all cars.

The Following User Says Thank You to shakerz For This Useful Post:
Old 05-10-2022, 10:40 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Ok...so you pulled the auction?

Old 05-10-2022, 10:56 PM

I saw that auction and was the second highest bidder. Would have probably met your reserve if I didn’t already have a few other y82’s I’m bringing back to life. Engine stamp is pretty questionable, then again I have one that was stamped four times at the factory. Standard interior is also a deterrent. The 77s are a sure bet as they look just like the movie cars. Good luck with sale.

Old 05-10-2022, 11:27 PM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green Hornet View Post
Ok...so you pulled the auction?
No sir. Did not hit 3900 reserve

Old 05-10-2022, 11:31 PM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poncho Dave View Post
I saw that auction and was the second highest bidder. Would have probably met your reserve if I didn’t already have a few other y82’s I’m bringing back to life. Engine stamp is pretty questionable, then again I have one that was stamped four times at the factory. Standard interior is also a deterrent. The 77s are a sure bet as they look just like the movie cars. Good luck with sale.
The 77s bring more money for sure. I also do not like the stamp but I’ve shown it (pic) to guys who worked
the Pontiac factory lines and they weren’t as skeptical. That’s why I listed it as a #’s car. Thanks for bidding and enjoy your SE restos.

Old 05-10-2022, 11:38 PM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevor78 View Post
I don't think it matters how high others claim the reserve should be, if it doesn't meet your current reserve anyway.
I got that private message during the middle of the auction clearly before me or anyone else could possibly predict if my reserve would be met or not. I appreciated the message from the guy who deals in the cars. I am thankful for all input into these matters even the opinion the car should be crushed or rebodied. I take it all into consideration. I’m not excessively stupid so some opinions get much less consideration time then others.,

Old 05-11-2022, 10:42 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by shakerz View Post
So this generation rebodies cars that need floor pans and lower quarters, Trevor?
Maybe give some consideration to where people are from when they make that consideration? I bought the car in my signature in 1991 when I had only ever lived in Michigan. Compared to what I had known all my life, a '67 GP convert that only needed a couple floor pans and some quarter panel work was a gold mine. After 25 years living in Arizona, I wouldn't have touched that thing with somebody else's money! (Hence my procrastination in doing anything with it... it's just hard to generate any enthusiasm for such a rusty pos.)

I remember growing up and bringing doors and fenders up north from VA. I thought I was "restoring..." little did I know I was simply slowing down the rot. Having bought $500 junkyard cars in AZ and driven them for years before selling for a profit, I'm not really inclined to pick up another car that has even a nickle-sized rust spot on it.

So people like me would probably think it's not worth the reserve. Someone who's never not lived in (and worked on cars from) somewhere in the rust belt might find it to be in better condition than anything they can find.

Old 05-12-2022, 01:07 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by mzbk2l View Post
Maybe give some consideration to where people are from when they make that consideration? I bought the car in my signature in 1991 when I had only ever lived in Michigan. Compared to what I had known all my life, a '67 GP convert that only needed a couple floor pans and some quarter panel work was a gold mine. After 25 years living in Arizona, I wouldn't have touched that thing with somebody else's money! (Hence my procrastination in doing anything with it... it's just hard to generate any enthusiasm for such a rusty pos.)

I remember growing up and bringing doors and fenders up north from VA. I thought I was "restoring..." little did I know I was simply slowing down the rot. Having bought $500 junkyard cars in AZ and driven them for years before selling for a profit, I'm not really inclined to pick up another car that has even a nickle-sized rust spot on it.

So people like me would probably think it's not worth the reserve. Someone who's never not lived in (and worked on cars from) somewhere in the rust belt might find it to be in better condition than anything they can find.
I am currently dismantling two 63 Pontiacs.......and both have been sitting outside dead for 30 years or better.....( not from the same place)....and the difference is amazing...

One has very little rust....and most bolts go backwards easily.....and the other is a struggle with any fastener within 12" of the ground....

Pleasure and pain.......Nothing better than working on a dry car

Old 05-12-2022, 05:33 PM
Senior Chief

Good rust conversation but this car is clean except for floor pans and drivers bottom rear quarter - about 3 dime sized holes on outer panel. Inner factory stamped panel fine. People who are fond of saying other peoples low production cars should be crushed or given away need to be monitored with a 73 SD or 69 TA needing a few patches and see how they change their mind. I’ve been doing this so long I know how people talk. Just gotta filter.

Old 05-12-2022, 05:39 PM
Senior Chief

One thing I didn’t do when I listed car is talk it up. To me that’s like kissing the buyers ass. I aint that desperate to sell anything I own. If I get hungry someday my attitude would likely change though. :-D