Old 10-04-2006, 10:18 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Default 72 Trans am documented adriatic blue

I have a 72 TA that is an original code D adriatic blue car. Documented through PHS. Does anyone out there have or know of any other 70-72 TAs that were originaly a color other than white or lucerne blue. Any info would be appreciated. Reply through here or email me at grnsd73@inebraska.com thanks

Old 10-04-2006, 12:05 PM

There was the black 1972 Trans Am discussed a few months ago and it was proven to be documented via PHS. I have pasted the link to that discussion below. There was also the red 1972 Trans Am mentioned in the same discussion which was a car that showed up at VOLO for sale a few years ago.

http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/...d.php?t=486878

I am starting to believe that in 1972 a good number of people had the right contacts to get a Trans Am in a color other than the standard white and blue!

Old 10-04-2006, 10:53 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

sd455hota,

Glad to hear from you here at PY. There has been some interest in the history of your Adriatic Blue Trans Am, so maybe you can fill us in a little on your very rare car. The person with the black special order '72 Trans Am posted once and then dropped out, so we've never had a chance to find out the origin of that car. It's also been reported that a silver '72 T/A may have been built.

The following post came from the current for-sale board and although it's not a Trans Am, it shows how glitches can occur on even on special order Formulas.

DAN
Junior Member Join Date: Aug 2006

Nice car Lloyd. I also had a 72 Formula 455 HO out of Brown Pontiac in Arlington, VA. It was a special order, black with off white/green int. Car sat at the dealer for 6 months waiting on a nose, the dealer finally put a green nose on the car and painted it black. I sold the car to a airline pilot in MN. in the early 80's. I still have all the orig. paper for the car.

Old 10-07-2006, 03:11 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Send a message via MSN to thefirebirdm@n

This is not a production car. Its a '72 prototype Trans Am designed by and built for Bill Mitchell. Not only is not white or blue (at least not Cameo White), it received one of the first SD455s and an unusual graphics package. I lot of you probably read about in HPP a several months back.

http://www.firebirdgallery.com/72lot1.htm

1973 Trans Am 455/4-speed
1971 Formula 400/400
1969 GTO 400/400 - 3rd owner
1968 Firebird Convertible 350/200R4

POCI - AAC
Old 10-07-2006, 11:20 PM

I'm a bit confused... are you saying that the metallic white car is the adriatic one.... I understand them to be 2 seperate cars.... so the list now shows:
1 the adriatic car
2 the black one that recently surfaced
3 the red one at Volo's
4 the metallic white mitchell car and any other's....?
How about some of the mysterious and elusive adriatic car..... we're dying over here......

Old 10-08-2006, 10:29 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Sorry I haven't gotten back sooner. Not much chance to get online lately.

Adriatic blue 72 has the PHS which shows the paint code as "DD". I faxed back to PHS and asked for some thoughts. Didn't get a lot of response other than they verified the D code to be actual and that it is a trans am. The cowl tag shows code 24, no spaces or dashes, just the #.

The PHS has some info added to it :

Under "ACC. OPT. EXTRA EQUIP" is SCO 72-167
Under "SUG RETAIL PRICE" is 62.00
Under "CODE" is MIS
Under "AMOUNT" is 42.00

Anyone have any insight on the "SCO 72-167" ?

All "total" $ amounts on the PHS have been crossed out and retyped to reflect the added $62 or $47.

It's a 4 spd with A/C car, FM stereo, bumper guards few other minor options and has a white custom interior. Built the end of march. Sold new in Temple TX. The car is undergoing a frame off restoration now so there aren't any pics I can send. I plan on bringing it to the POCI nats in OK next year.

Last edited by sd455hota; 10-08-2006 at 10:37 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to sd455hota For This Useful Post:
Old 10-08-2006, 11:56 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I believe "SCO" stands for "Special Color Option"

Old 10-08-2006, 12:41 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

sd455hota,

Do you still have the original wheel flairs and front plastic valance? We've been trying to find out if these special paint Trans Ams came with painted or molded plastic parts. We've established that Larry Leist's black '73 SD Trans Am was delivered in primer with red molded wheel flairs, but since your car was actually painted code 24 adriatic blue from the factory, might they have painted the flairs to match.

Jim

Last edited by Jim Rotella; 10-09-2006 at 09:30 AM.
Old 10-09-2006, 02:00 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Sorry yes, I meant two separate cars so your list is accurate.

1971 Formula 400/400

POCI - AAC
Old 10-09-2006, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefirebirdm@n
This is not a production car. Its a '72 prototype Trans Am designed by and built for Bill Mitchell. Not only is not white or blue (at least not Cameo White), it received one of the first SD455s and an unusual graphics package. I lot of you probably read about in HPP a several months back.

http://www.firebirdgallery.com/72lot1.htm
A friend of mine owns the Mitchell car. After some decoding, the engine was found to be a 455 h.o. block with Ram Air IV s.r. heads. The compression was 11 1/2 to one. The original reporting was wrong.

Old 10-09-2006, 12:32 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

sd455hota,

I notice your car came out of Temple Tx. Was it ever in the Houston area?
I recall an Adriatic blue '72 T/A here in the late 90's.

Old 10-09-2006, 03:07 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

W72-Bandit : I got it from just outside Houston. Probably the same car. Do you remember anything about it from back then?

Jim Rotella : Two of the spoilers are with the car. Lucerne blue painted adriatic blue. Can't say for sure if they are original or replacements from years ago. It has a metal valance. If it had a plastic one originaly it was probably molded in adriatic blue since all the adriatic blue firebirds, esprits and formulas would have needed the same valance so it wasn't a 1 of a kind piece. In another thread you mentioned all 72s came with trim rings. Is that the case? It looks like these wheels (correct dated KRs) have never had rings on them. Regardless, I need a set of NOS, excellent used or exact repos for a 70 TA I'm doing if you know of any.

Old 10-09-2006, 04:56 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

sd455hota,

Never even thought about the fact that base Birds, Esprits, and Formulas all were available in Adriatic Blue and that it wouldn't take a special valance for a T/A painted that color.

On the trim rings, all factory literature states that they were standard on Trans Ams in '72, but I suppose the owner could have told the dealer not to install them prior to delivery. The trim rings and center caps were usually shipped in the trunk and then installed by the dealer. I've seen pictures of an original low mileage '73 SD Trans Am without trim rings on untouched Rally II's and I assumed that's what that owner did.

Jim

Old 10-09-2006, 11:19 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by allmycarsrjunk
A friend of mine owns the Mitchell car. After some decoding, the engine was found to be a 455 h.o. block with Ram Air IV s.r. heads. The compression was 11 1/2 to one. The original reporting was wrong.
Is your friend Neal Wichard or has it been sold again since Neal owned it? Interesting information. Are all parties involved sure the 455 HO is the engine originally put in the car when GM built it?

1971 Formula 400/400

POCI - AAC
Old 10-10-2006, 09:57 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I'm afraid I'm not much help. The car was in the north Houston area. The owner had rescued it from a field in central Tx. It had the typical Tx. rust but was complete. It was in mid-resto. at the time. The owner had some problems with the resto shop and had brought the car home. As I recall it was PHS documented. Whats the status of the car now?

Old 10-10-2006, 01:06 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by W72-Bandit
I'm afraid I'm not much help. The car was in the north Houston area. The owner had rescued it from a field in central Tx. It had the typical Tx. rust but was complete. It was in mid-resto. at the time. The owner had some problems with the resto shop and had brought the car home. As I recall it was PHS documented. Whats the status of the car now?
It's definatly the same car. The guy I got it from said it was in a field when he bought it.

You probably saw it with the original 'blue/white interior'. Still don't know what to do about that. PHS and trim tag shows white int which came with black trim only in 72. But this car had blue trim (dash, carpet, console, etc) not black. I have all the original pieces that came out of it. Dash panel down into the cowl is painted blue. No doubt in my mind it was original. I have no way to prove it though. No documentation from PHS on this. I have a portion of the build sheet that actually has a handwritten note that says : "Int trim blue not black-white stays". Some of the boxes in the top half that cover int trim such as console, carpet, etc, have the code for the black piece crossed out and the code for the proper blue piece handwritten in. I know the skeptics will have a fit over that saying anyone could have done it. It's getting a frame off now. I'll probably go back with black interior trim to match PHS etc. I would hate to enter it in the POCI or TA nats and be placed in a modified class just because the interior trim color was supposedly not available.

Anyway, if you think of any other history on it let me know. Hope to have it at the POCI nats in OK next year. If your up that way stop and introduce yourself. Thanks

Old 10-10-2006, 04:17 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I'd be tempted to go with the blue/white interior. Especially with the handwriting on the build sheet. Certainly a rare car! I'll be at POCI next year, hope to see it!

Old 10-10-2006, 07:04 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by sd455hota
It's definatly the same car. The guy I got it from said it was in a field when he bought it.

You probably saw it with the original 'blue/white interior'. Still don't know what to do about that. PHS and trim tag shows white int which came with black trim only in 72. But this car had blue trim (dash, carpet, console, etc) not black. I have all the original pieces that came out of it. Dash panel down into the cowl is painted blue. No doubt in my mind it was original. I have no way to prove it though. No documentation from PHS on this. I have a portion of the build sheet that actually has a handwritten note that says : "Int trim blue not black-white stays". Some of the boxes in the top half that cover int trim such as console, carpet, etc, have the code for the black piece crossed out and the code for the proper blue piece handwritten in. I know the skeptics will have a fit over that saying anyone could have done it. It's getting a frame off now. I'll probably go back with black interior trim to match PHS etc. I would hate to enter it in the POCI or TA nats and be placed in a modified class just because the interior trim color was supposedly not available.

Anyway, if you think of any other history on it let me know. Hope to have it at the POCI nats in OK next year. If your up that way stop and introduce yourself. Thanks
Sounds like another Bill Mitchell kinda deal to me. Def a brass hat / exec / show car. Cool story and great history. You need to give Tom DeMauro a shout when it's done for an HPP feature article.

Hmmmm - I wonder - when was the car invoiced? I'll wager long after the cowl tag date!

2008 GMC Sierra Denali 2WD Crew, L92 6L80E, Silver w/ Ebony guts, 14.26 @ 98
Old 10-10-2006, 09:19 PM
Senior Chief

Quote:
I'll probably go back with black interior trim to match PHS etc. I would hate to enter it in the POCI or TA nats and be placed in a modified class just because the interior trim color was supposedly not available.

I would never make a decision based on what a club or judge might do or say. Just do what makes YOU happy, blue, black or whatever. Like a song writer once wrote: "You can't please everyone, so you've gotta please yourself."

I think the unique color combination and the documentation adds to the value of your car. I would appreciate it for what it is, not what someone thinks it should be. Just my opinion.

Old 10-10-2006, 09:43 PM
Ultimate Warrior

"You can't please everyone, so you've gotta please yourself."

ricky nelson, right ?