Old 02-22-2022, 04:48 PM

Default anchor pin adjustment on 64 grand prix front drums

good afternoon.
i just did a brake job on my 8 lug 64 prix. the manual calls for a anchor pin adjustment.
what does this do? does it slide the pin to the front of the brake shoe?
my front drums are getting hotter than i'm comfortable with.
the rears are about 110 degrees after a 60 mile drive, while the fronts are 300 degrees, without heavy braking.
all tires are about 100 degrees. the front wheel bearings are 250 degrees. i am guessing that they are absorbing heat from the drums.
i installed the new shoes and set the shoes as per manual spec, and backed them off 12 clicks.
i have read that the anchor pin must be adjusted, but i do not understand what that adjustment does.
i have also read that i should back off the adjusters 30 clicks but that seems excessive.
any help to keep 8 lugs on my car will be appreciated.
thank you.
mario

The Following User Says Thank You to Mario64 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-23-2022, 12:32 AM
Ultimate Warrior

To adjust the shoes correctly there has to be .015 +/- .005 inch between the shoe and the drum top and bottom. To adjust the bottom you adjust the threaded piece with the star wheel either in or out. To adjust the top loosen the anchor pin and move it to get the correct clearance. Then tighten it again.

The Following User Says Thank You to Goatracer1 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-23-2022, 12:34 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Forgot to mention that you can only do that on the front brakes because the rear anchor doesn't move.

The Following User Says Thank You to Goatracer1 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-24-2022, 03:59 PM

thank you goatracer1. i will try that this weekend.
ciao,
mario

The Following User Says Thank You to Mario64 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-27-2022, 12:15 AM

Update...
It takes a 15/16ths offset box wrench OR a socket to loosen the nut on the backside of the drum backing plate. Then you use a 7/16ths box wrench and turn the stud that is actually the back side of the anchor pin. As you rotate the stud, it moves the anchor pin towards the front or rear of the car depending on which way you turn it. That moves the rear brake shoe away from the drum, increasing the clearance between the drum and rear shoe. I was able to spin the drum, then stop it by turning the stud, reducing the clearance. 1/4 of a turn and the drum would spin freely again.
I was not able to check the clearance with a 15 thousands feeler gauge as there is no slot on 8 lug drum to slip it in. So I left it at that, buttoned everything up and went for a 20 minute drive.
The rears were about 110 degrees and the fronts were 195 degrees. 100 degrees cooler. Longer driving next weekend for a better test.
Thanks for all the help. Have not swapped out the fruit jar yet (see other post by me) wanted to be sure the brakes were working properly before I did anything else.
Ciao,
Mario

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mario64 For This Useful Post: