Pontiac - Race The next Level

Old 03-08-2022, 10:45 PM
Senior Chief

Default Has Anyone Seen this Defect in a Forged 4.50” stroke Crankshaft? Pics inside

So this is a new one for me and puts a Damper on my build for a little bit, there is a void in the Chamfer of #6 rod journal and it goes into the oil passage!!! WTH? I thought being forged this would not or really could not happen?
If I hadn’t somehow seen this and just thought it was odd before I started inspecting it real close and realizing it was an actual hole this could’ve easily blown at my engine I got real lucky!!!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	540FB737-D10A-444F-96EB-B296BD1126F3.jpg
Views:	485
Size:	84.9 KB
ID:	585722   Click image for larger version

Name:	B8A56D4B-0C76-42AD-BF97-CB2B95D45519.jpg
Views:	462
Size:	86.5 KB
ID:	585723  

Old 03-09-2022, 12:11 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Just curious does the drilling make it to the main? Whos crank.

Old 03-09-2022, 12:16 AM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by rod cole View Post
Just curious does the drilling make it to the main? Whos crank.
It does go through like it should, there is a void between the internal passage and the Chamfer

Old 03-09-2022, 05:38 AM
Senior Chief

Did you get this crank from eBay? It is probably a factory blem crank that the vendor passed on to you as a normal part.

Have you contacted the seller about it? My guess is that this crank garbage and probably not worth putting money into repairing. You would probably be better off getting another one.

Old 03-09-2022, 07:25 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Wow . I've never seen that ..

Old 03-09-2022, 07:41 AM
Ultimate Warrior

If that’s a cast crank then don’t even think about using it!
If it’s forged you could get it welded and recut, but I would still have a big concern that the oil passage was misdrilled enough to not intersect as it should with the other one.
It looks like it could be up to 1/8” off from where it should be!

Old 03-09-2022, 10:42 AM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by 25stevem View Post
If that’s a cast crank then don’t even think about using it!
If it’s forged you could get it welded and recut, but I would still have a big concern that the oil passage was misdrilled enough to not intersect as it should with the other one.
It looks like it could be up to 1/8” off from where it should be!
Forged 4340 3.00 main 4.50 stroke, yeah I’m concerned it might not be repairable, I am getting it exchanged

Old 03-09-2022, 10:45 AM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by ID67goat View Post
Did you get this crank from eBay? It is probably a factory blem crank that the vendor passed on to you as a normal part.

Have you contacted the seller about it? My guess is that this crank garbage and probably not worth putting money into repairing. You would probably be better off getting another one.
Yes, and yes, Vender wants me to pay the 128$ shipping again! They told me to keep the crank, I don’t think I should have to pay the shipping again, by that time I would have bought a nicer crank, I need to see if it’s even worth repairing, probably not

Old 03-09-2022, 12:57 PM
Ultimate Warrior

That breakthrough is rather frightening in the fillet area. So one of several things may have caused this. 1. Incorrect set-up for drilling. (unlikely IMO). 2. Drilling with a dull drill bit, (possible) 3. Hitting some crap or inclusion while drilling sending the bit off track (possible). 4. Improper index when drilling was started (possible). IMO, that crankshaft is a throw away. Only real way to know where the various drillings are placed would be to X-ray the crank. How many other drillings are .010" or .005" away from breaking through elsewhere in the crankshaft? Great catch on your part! I would be concerned using anything from this vendor. For Chinese forgings, my choice would be Molnar, Scat, Eagle in that order.

Old 03-09-2022, 01:06 PM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgarblik View Post
That breakthrough is rather frightening in the fillet area. So one of several things may have caused this. 1. Incorrect set-up for drilling. (unlikely IMO). 2. Drilling with a dull drill bit, (possible) 3. Hitting some crap or inclusion while drilling sending the bit off track (possible). 4. Improper index when drilling was started (possible). IMO, that crankshaft is a throw away. Only real way to know where the various drillings are placed would be to X-ray the crank. How many other drillings are .010" or .005" away from breaking through elsewhere in the crankshaft? Great catch on your part! I would be concerned using anything from this vendor. For Chinese forgings, my choice would be Molnar, Scat, Eagle in that order.
Yeah I barely caught it, it is an actual void in the metal, it’s actually a little ways off from the drilled oil hole, which is scary because if it’s not from the machining process it’s a bad forging process or the material wasn’t pure? Idk it’s a SGI crankshaft, I’ve had good luck with them until now

Old 03-09-2022, 02:15 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I understand what you are saying. But it must be pretty close if you can poke a wire through the fillet from the oil hole? Star Galaxy Forgings have been decent as you stated. Hopefully the replacement will be good to go. You might want to try and negotiate some compromise on the replacement shipping.

Old 03-09-2022, 07:16 PM
Ultimate Warrior

So much for quality control .

That's not your fault. You shouldn't have to pay anything...

I hope it works out for you Good luck...

Old 03-09-2022, 08:44 PM
Senior Chief

[QUOTE=charlie66;6325189]So much for quality control .

I hope it works out for you Good luck...[/QUOTE

Yeah no kidding!!! I don’t have a lot of time though so I think what I’m gonna do is do like they said and just keep this Crankshaft find somebody who knows what they’re really doing and see if it can be repaired if they can grind it out weld it back up and then re-grind it I don’t know and then get the new crank so I guess that’s some consolation but still I would’ve just bought a nicer Crankshaft if I had all this extra money to spend on shipping

Old 03-09-2022, 08:54 PM
Ultimate Warrior

[QUOTE=Pontiac Derek;6325213]
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlie66 View Post
So much for quality control .

I hope it works out for you Good luck...[/QUOTE

Yeah no kidding!!! I don’t have a lot of time though so I think what I’m gonna do is do like they said and just keep this Crankshaft find somebody who knows what they’re really doing and see if it can be repaired if they can grind it out weld it back up and then re-grind it I don’t know and then get the new crank so I guess that’s some consolation but still I would’ve just bought a nicer Crankshaft if I had all this extra money to spend on shipping
how long ago did you buy it? who is the vendor. file complaint with credit card company. $128.00 is cheaper than a 7-10k engine

Old 03-10-2022, 12:26 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Wow I was just about to buy a rotating assembly w a forged crank and now I’m. Completely second guessing it over my factory Pontiac stuff that thing is a POS and I’d never pay them the $128 I’d charge them for my wait time. I’d keep it to make a lamp or something but it would NEVER go in one. Of my engines . That’s crazy, too much to lose Just my .02

selling turbos and turbo related parts since 2005!
Old 03-10-2022, 12:48 PM
Senior Chief

[QUOTE=Jim Zeek;6325216]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pontiac Derek View Post

how long ago did you buy it? who is the vendor. file complaint with credit card company. $128.00 is cheaper than a 7-10k engine
It’s an SGI crankshaft from EBay, they are sending me another one, even though this is an all iron low rpm deal if I didn’t catch that it for sure would have eventually smoked the bearings or broke, I will be having the next one thoroughly checked out!

Old 03-10-2022, 01:38 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Cool

[QUOTE=Pontiac Derek;6325350]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Zeek View Post

It’s an SGI crankshaft from EBay
Why not support our Pontiac Vendors? This probably would not have happened.

Old 03-10-2022, 01:57 PM
Senior Chief

5 kids, mortgage, awaiting a major back surgery, So I can either build my engine on the budget I have or I could not do it at all with my personal situation anyways now if you can’t understand that I don’t know what to say I’m sorry I didn’t buy from your favorite vendor

QUOTE=Dave Polichena;6325363]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pontiac Derek View Post

Why not support our Pontiac Vendors? This probably would not have happened.