Old 04-01-2022, 12:33 PM

Default 70 Trans Am Cad Plating source

Hey Guys, I am looking for someone to do some Cad plating on parts for our Trans Am, starting with the Jack Bar.

Old 04-01-2022, 01:59 PM
Ultimate Warrior

my go to was Steve Gregori, but I think he retired and sold the business, which is still around (brakeboosters.com).

Old 04-01-2022, 02:05 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gator67 View Post
my go to was Steve Gregori, but I think he retired and sold the business, which is still around (brakeboosters.com).
BoosterMike took over Steve's business, they do 'em. Little more expensive than I can swing, but i will send him boosters to properly restore.

Old 04-01-2022, 02:11 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Default booster

Quote:
Originally Posted by 'ol Pinion head View Post
BoosterMike took over Steve's business, they do 'em. Little more expensive than I can swing, but i will send him boosters to properly restore.
are you referring to the brake booster if so im interested too

Old 04-01-2022, 04:23 PM
Senior Chief

Just recently sent him a booster and jack mast, $75 for the jack mast.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Old 04-01-2022, 04:30 PM
Ultimate Warrior

He plates with Cadmium or Zinc? Cadmium plating is pretty hard to come by due to EPA restrictions

Old 04-01-2022, 04:38 PM
Senior Chief

Told him to do mine as appropriate, it was zinc dichromate on one end when I sent it and that was what he plated it, not that I told him what to use. Nice guy to talk to, might plate what you want how you want. Here’s the web site.

https://www.detailplating.com/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The Following User Says Thank You to DavesGTO For This Useful Post:
Old 04-02-2022, 04:03 PM
Ultimate Warrior

All " cadmium " Gold looking items are coated, not electrically, On Top Of a silver " ZINC" coating that Is electrically done.
Sodium BiChromate in a sulfuric acid solution is used after the Silver Zinc is done to get the Gold look.
IT IS NOT Gold " Cadmium".
I do this on Alt Pulleys and booster shells, BUT. I don't have a container long enough for a jack mast to zinc it or one that long to get the Gold on it after.
I used to buy my Bi chromate in bulk from Russia. There are some smaller amounts sold still in the US.

Last edited by Formulabruce; 04-02-2022 at 04:09 PM.
Old 04-02-2022, 07:22 PM
Ultimate Warrior

1970-73 part were cadmium plated,not zinc as many do today in the hobby. There is a difference. As Craig said, EPA pretty much shut down real cadmium plating. The one industry that it is still mandated is aeronautics. I used to use a company in Colorado,Aero Propeller. They ,as name states,refurbish props and other plane parts so they have to use cadmium. Very reasonable and just great work. This is where you get real cad plating done,find a company doing aeroplane component refurbishing. I think Aero Propeller was bought by Colorado Playing LLC. Just do a search and find their numbers. If you want best looking playing,my vote is use real cadmium. I think zinc weather silver or gold is too shiney and just doesn't have original appearance. My 2cents

Sent from my motorola edge using Tapatalk

The Following User Says Thank You to 70RAlll For This Useful Post:
Old 04-04-2022, 05:28 PM

Talked to Mike from Detail Plating today and he seemed very helpful, so I'm going to send some parts to him for the correct finish. Thanks all for your hep.