Old 05-23-2022, 10:08 AM

Default Voltage Regulator - Am I doing something wrong?

The voltage regulator on my 65 is a junkyard takeoff my Pop has had around since 1966. With that in mind I thought it might be good to replace or at least have a spare in the trunk in case it goes belly up.

I have a 63 amp alternator (NAPA RAY 2134013) and a brand new DieHard Gold battery.

I bought an AC Delco C635 (professional grade) from RøckAutø. Installed it, followed the attached procedure which was included with the new VR (headlights and accessories on for 1-2min). Ultimately battery light is on and the new VR is buzzing at idle. Send it back got a replacement, same thing happened.

Am I just unlucky and got two bad ones? Or am I doing something wrong? The old one works great, no battery light, no buzzing and 14.5V at the battery.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20220523_095703.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	57.6 KB
ID:	591376  

Old 05-23-2022, 10:13 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Make sure the regulator case has a good electrical ground.

George

Old 05-23-2022, 11:37 AM

About a year ago I was helping a friend with his '63 chevy pick up. I went through four different branded voltage regulators from four different sources including I think the same ACDelco that you mention. They were all calibrated wrong. Under close examination they all seemed to come out of the same factory, were all identical, and were all made wrong.

After studying my 1964 Tempest shop manual and searching around the internet I could see what was wrong and probably could have set them up properly but instead decided to buy a solid state replacement. I think I got it from https://alternatorparts.com/.

The Following User Says Thank You to shermanator2 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-23-2022, 04:00 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Try a solid state voltage regulator looks like original. I had 2 new GM regulators that both had the light on at ideal.

Old 05-24-2022, 08:45 AM

Thanks everyone! I appreciate your help.