THE LOBBY A gathering place. Introductions, sports, showin' off your ride, birthday-anniversary-milestone, achievements, family oriented humor.

Old 05-25-2022, 04:59 PM
Senior Chief

Location: Gilroy, California, USA-Garlic Capital of the world!
Thumbs down My old-age humiliation is complete...

Just paid an oil change place to change the oil in my car.

Could some please do a drive-by shooting?

~Jack Handey, Deep Thoughts
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Bob Dillon For This Useful Post:
Old 05-25-2022, 05:28 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Sometimes it's just easier, LOL. I have a host at home which it makes it much easier, but if I didn't, I would be looking for a cheap place to get it done.
Our bodies will rebel if we continue, LMAO.

Old 05-25-2022, 05:56 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Lightbulb Do Most Of My Service Work

At 61 I am still on the road.
I do my own service work on my truck & trailer
for the most part- to make sure it is done right.

Jim

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Trulyvintage For This Useful Post:
Old 05-25-2022, 05:57 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Send a message via AIM to JLMounce

For the modern cars in my stable, it's gotten to the point where it's the same price, or marginally cheaper to have it done by the dealership. They are always offering promotions to get you in the door, hoping you swap oil by swapping cars.

I take advantage of that.

Old 05-25-2022, 06:14 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Was it a Ford? Sure wasn't an old Pontiac.

Old 05-25-2022, 06:14 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

In the past I would take our dd to an oil change place in the winter. Crawling under a car with the winter road crap dripping on my face was no fun. When I did a summer oil change after the last time, the drain plug was screwed up and the oil filter felt like it was cross threaded the first 2 turns. Her new car will be always going to the dealer so if a problem arises, they will have to deal with it.

66 Chevy II 461 Pontiac in AZ
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to tooski For This Useful Post:
Old 05-25-2022, 09:32 PM
Senior Chief

Location: Gilroy, California, USA-Garlic Capital of the world!
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Half-Inch Stud View Post
Was it a Ford? Sure wasn't an old Pontiac.

2012 Ford Fusion 2.5. Been a great car. Wifey has a 2016 Fusion, same-same.

~Jack Handey, Deep Thoughts
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bob Dillon For This Useful Post:
Old 05-25-2022, 10:12 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Bob, what prompted you to do it?

Wife and I pretty much get away with driving her car only, 2012 Civic.

I change the oil annually. Started that about 6-7 years ago, had been doing about 10k miles before that but felt I was throwing away good oil. Last change in Dec I had nearly 23k miles. Use Mobil 1 and Fram Ultra filter. Civic now has 183k miles, doesn't register any loss of oil between changes.

My '04 GP GTP gets almost no use these days so would have to check my record to see when I last changed it. It was near 150k miles when I moved here 3-1/2 years ago and still is short of 150k. It's my work truck now, can haul 27 bags of mulch in it. Most recently had 15 bales of pine straw plus a few groceries and my wife in it. Guys at Lowes who helped load the bales were skeptical. Paint and leather look like heck but engine is like new. It has also gotten full synthetic since new.

I have tried to stay away from repair shops for many years now. Recently did 4 wheel pads and rotors on the Civic, first brake job since new (GP still has original brakes). That was the most major repair it has needed and truth be told, only one pad was squealing and all had a good bit of pad life left. I take my time since I no longer need to finish a job to get to work! Retirement is a blast.

Just curious if you would be willing to change the oil if you only did an annual change?

I won't do a drive by but I'd give you grief on a regular basis if you were my neighbor.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to John V. For This Useful Post:
Old 05-25-2022, 10:18 PM
Ultimate Warrior

oil easy, Canned filter aggravatin. Cartridge in 2013 Chrysler 200 easy.

Old 05-25-2022, 10:31 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I have lifts, so I still do my own fluid changes, both oil and transmissions. In a pinch when the lifts have vehicles and are not free, I use ramps that I made and grab a creeper.
What ever it takes.

Old 05-25-2022, 11:41 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I have a lift but only about a 9' ceiling. The Tahoe isn't too bad, have to crawl under it and sit on a small stool, but the filter and drain are easy to get to. The Jeep GC on the other hand is a pain.......Mopar cleverly hid the drain and filter thru an acess panel where you can't see because you need to stick your hand and tool thru the panel, not to mention trying to aim a light under there but the light gets blocked by your arm and tool......

i'm north of 70 and refuse to give up........

George

Old 05-25-2022, 11:44 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I take mine to the dealer. I get an oil change and tire rotation for about $70.00 on my 2018 GMC and as long as I have the routine maintenance done on my wife's 2019 Honda CRV the dealer will warranty the drive train. The Honda costs about the same for a change and rotation. I usually take them in once or twice a year. We don't put many miles on them.

Old 05-25-2022, 11:58 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I still do all my own work at 62. And do work for whoever needs it done. I'll keep doing it for as long as I'm able.

A poor man has poor ways.
The Following User Says Thank You to A.W.Dille For This Useful Post:
Old 05-26-2022, 12:14 AM
Senior Chief

Don’t feel bad. I’m in the middle of my 50s. After a life of fantastic vision I must have reading glasses.
I just changed a stater under a 71 Javelin and for sore.

I was still crushing it with guys half my age into my 40s.
At 45, people thought I was 30.
At 50, people thought I was 40.
In the middle of my 50s, people think I’m 50.

Time waits for no man.

"Yes, it's a real GTO. I know the scoops, spoiler, exhaust tips, and rear wheels are wrong. Umm, sure it's the 'big block' 400, you are quite the expert. I am driving in the rain, at night, running errands, with the kids who are eating and having ice cream in the back, after going to the drag strip, burning rubber, and blowing donuts. Do you really think it's numbers matching all original?"
The Following User Says Thank You to ramairthreegto For This Useful Post:
Old 05-26-2022, 12:14 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Still changing my own oil …..Nevah- Evah had Jiffy Lube do it. Be 66 soon.

Old 05-26-2022, 01:54 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I have a lift and still have the dealer do my diesel pick up. That damn oil gets on anything it spreads like crazy. And stinks idk what dodge uses but it’s black as midnight gets all over everything one drop and it looks like you spread a quart around . Have never brought my race cars anywhere do them myself .

selling turbos and turbo related parts since 2005!
Old 05-26-2022, 08:00 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Gave up on diesels because the oil is black ink. Advantage to drive Diesels to an oil change place.

Old 05-26-2022, 08:17 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Wife's BMW goes to the dealership ... free for three years.

I get my fill changing the oil on ...

1 GMC pickup
2 tractors (engines and hydro oil)
3 motorcycles
1 quad
1 push mower
1 pressure washer
1 DR mower
1 leaf vacuum
1 generator
1 log splitter
and
1 GTO

In fact about three things are waiting for a change right now

Old 05-26-2022, 08:26 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Not to scare anyone,.......but I have multiple true stories from quick change oil change businesses that are pretty bad. 3 of them have required new engines being installed, one just last month. 1. My sister takes her new Mini Cooper to a quick lube in San Diego for it's FIRST oil change. They leave the drain plug loose and it looses almost all it's oil, locking up the engine 4 days after the oil change. Oil change place agrees to have a new engine installed in the Mini at a BMW dealer in Los Angeles. They install new engine in a car with 6K miles on it. The dealer tech forgets to plug in the electric fan and also doesn't give it a proper test drive to verify it. 1/2 hour after leaving the dealer the new engine is blown up on the side of the road after getting God knows how hot. So that's 2 dead engines at 6K miles. Dealer orders her a new car. Lessons learned. 2. Wife of my co-worker is sick and tired of him not getting the oil changed on her Ford Excursion. She takes it to Jiffy Lube for a change. An hour later, she calls him and says the truck is dead on the side of the road, with oil everywhere under the hood, and smoke. He rushes to the scene and checks the oil. It was 6 inches ABOVE the full line and a little dirty. Determined they double filled it. (did not drain out the old oil before refilling) It has been leaking oil ever since. 3. General contractor friend of mine took his Duramax truck to a quick lube. They installed the wrong oil filter on it and started the engine. Oil gushed out everywhere so they shut it off and went to the parts store nearby and purchased the correct filter. Sent him on his way. He pulls into my driveway with the "check oil level" light on. I check it and proceed to add 5 quarts of oil to it. After they put the correct oil in it, they never checked the oil level for what was lost. Just 3 recent examples. These places will hire ANYONE. Zero capability required. Many have come to work at the quick lube for a $.025 pay increase from McDonalds or bagging groceries. Use a shop you trust. Be willing to pay a buck or two more for someone who has some basic idea of what they are doing.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mgarblik For This Useful Post:
Old 05-26-2022, 08:27 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I bought Mobil 1 and NAPA gold filter for my 2015 GMC 2500. I had every intention of doing the change. Then I stopped at tire shop for tires for TA. Asked owner how much? Oil change and tire rotation, $20.00! Do it.

The Following User Says Thank You to sdbob For This Useful Post: