Old 09-21-2009, 02:26 PM

Default Brakes

I'd like to improve the braking performace on my 70 Formula, but keep the front disk/back drum set-up.

I've heard that ceramic or other high quality brake pads would help up front, and seem to recall that someone sells larger rear drums and shoes that supposedly equal the performance of disk brakes.

If you have a suggestion or any experience on either, please let me know.

Old 09-21-2009, 02:41 PM
Senior Chief

I don't think you will find drums that will equal the performance of discs in the back. They do have a kit for an inch bigger drums. I think they call them Police/Taxi brakes, but the price is kinda high. I recently changed the rear brakes on my bird to LS1 rear discs and the braking improved GREATLY.

A couple of other suggestions though.

1. New flex lines make a world of difference
2. Tire traction will also improve braking

Old 09-21-2009, 10:59 PM

I installed new brake lines, rotors, pads, drums, and shoes not long ago, as well as new rubber, and while all that improved braking considerably, I am looking for something more without changing to a rear disk brake set-up.

If anyone has any experience with ceramic pads and/or larger rear drums, please let me know.