Old 02-16-2014, 12:22 PM

Default Engine rebuild

I'm thinking of rebuilding, or at least refreshing, my WS coded Ram Air III 400 in my 70 Formula.

I want to retain the stock appearance, but am open to the idea of a stroker kit for more bottom end and maybe a different cam (although I have a new 068 sitting in a box, along with a set of 1.65 rockers).

The car is primarily street driven, has a 3.73 rear end and a 5 speed Tremec with a 2.80 first gear.

Running on pump gas hasn't been a problem (perhaps because we have 94 octane where i live), and so I'm not looking to drop the compression ratio.

I'd appreciate your thoughts and suggestions...

Old 02-16-2014, 12:29 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I did a 69 WS with a Ohio 4.21 stroke crank,forged H beam rods and Ross dished pistons.Stock heads,intake and carb.Pertronics dist conversion.I went the hyd roller setup.Remember your heads will need to be clearanced to use the 1.65 rockers.I have a TKO 500 with a 3.90 in the back at this time.Tom

Old 02-17-2014, 06:37 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I did a Butler stroker on my 70 RAlll to a 467 and it was the best engine mod or modification of any kind I have done on this car. more cubic inches will make your car drive like you always wanted it to. The 400 is a nice engine, but >455 becomes a new car. It is night and day the difference in performance. I too went to a hyd roller set up. Had comp cams make a hyd roller copy of the 068 and the 041 cam, the 41 is what I left with, no other mods, stock ignition. You will wonder why you waited to make the stroker mod.-the low/mid range torque is unbelievable .. Really cannot more emphatically suggest you make the leap. you will never again be satisfied with a 400 once you stroke. good luck, let us know how it turns out.. really suggest you go to the roller, quicker/smoother opening/closing..just seems to work well in the stroked engines..

Old 02-17-2014, 09:16 AM

Thanks for the info, I was thinking of doing the same to my 400 during its tear-down. You've convinced me that it will be money well spent. Indy

Old 02-17-2014, 11:45 PM

Bill, thanks for the info. I'll you still have the roller version of the 068 cam and want to sell it, please let me know via a PM.

A few other questions:

1. what compression ratio are you running and any problems/thoughts on that?

2. any mods to the block and/or heads required for the roller cam?

3. what ratio rocker arms did you use?

Thanks!

Old 02-18-2014, 01:31 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by RWS View Post
Bill, thanks for the info. I'll you still have the roller version of the 068 cam and want to sell it, please let me know via a PM.

A few other questions:

1. what compression ratio are you running and any problems/thoughts on that?

2. any mods to the block and/or heads required for the roller cam?

3. what ratio rocker arms did you use?

Thanks!
There is one small place on the bottom inside of the block that needs to be grinded for clearance-you can either have the machine shop do it or you can use a die grinder. You can get the stroker kit from Butler and they will walk you through this one clearance issue-pretty simple stuff.It is maybe 1" square lug that needs to be ground down.9.5:1 compression and no problems with fuel. I run non ethanol fuel, but sure you can get 9.5 running premium . I am pretty sure I sold the 068 roller copy. Will check this week. and I used comp cams roller tip 1.5:1.. Believe me, the cam and stroker modifications will be all you will need. Call Butler and Jim will walk you through the conversion and sell you the correct matching parts you will need.

Old 02-22-2014, 02:22 PM

Thanks again, Bill.

Anyone else have any suggestions/thoughts?