Old 01-14-2015, 01:50 PM

Default New motor

Rather than stroking my 70 WS RA III engine, I'm now thinking a better idea might be to replace it with a new motor and store the stock one.

Any suggestions/recommendations for a supplier of either a short or long block block assembly that will look stock and accept my factory intake and exhaust manifolds and accessories?

The car (which has a 3.73 rear and a 5 speed Tremec) will be mainly street driven, by the way, but I am looking for more power, about what I'd get if I stroked my 400 and keep the compression ratio around stock...

Old 01-14-2015, 02:06 PM
Ultimate Warrior

For a stockish look, #96 heads on a 455 (9.5 to 1 or a tad less). I will be yanking 350 out of my 71 and putting my 4 bolt 455 / 96 heads in. RA exhaust manifolds, 71 iron intake, 71 Q jet, 71 #96 heads, factory dual snorkel air cleaner. To the average car person, they won't have much visual to clue them. To Poncho folk, the dual snorkel and RA manifolds on an Esprit are giveaways. Have all parts, need build $.... so it will be all 71 parts, just not ones Pontiac combo'd.......

Old 01-15-2015, 11:33 AM

Thanks for the suggestions, but I'm looking to buy a short or long block assembly from someone like, say, Butler, and was wondering whether anyone had done the same thing...

Old 01-15-2015, 12:34 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I just bought a stroked short block from Len Williams. Dealing with him was a pure pleasure. No drama, no excuses, no bullsh_t....and no delays. It is in transit to me now, so I can't speak to quality of work, but lots of research on this forum and via Google found no negative posts or complaints. Check out his website and give him a call. He has posted prices for various combinations of long and short blocks. Len is decidely low tech with no email, so call his "landline" and leave a message if he doesn't answer. He always returned my calls within 24 hours.

http://www.lenwilliamsautomachine.com/Home.html

Old 01-15-2015, 03:17 PM
Senior Chief

Len did my short block back in October on the 455. I was very pleased. excellent quality and its running great.

Old 01-25-2015, 09:01 PM

Thanks for your input about Len Williams: I plan on giving him a call.

In the meantime, any other suggestions/experiences?

I already have an estimate from Jim Butler, by the way, but was a bit taken aback with both the cost of a stroked 400 with a roller cam and mildly ported and matched cast iron heads (more than $10 K) and the wait (5 months, Jim said).