Exhaust TECH Mufflers, Headers and Pipes Issues

Old 05-28-2000, 07:20 AM

My positive battery cable and starter wires are showing signs of damage from header heat. The battery cable is already down to the bare wire. I'm getting the impression that header wrap is the wrong way to go, and I don't have the cash at the moment to get ceramic coating. Do the aluminum sleeves that cover up wires work well enough to keep them from being melted? If so I'll definately put on some to save my wires.

Hell bent
Hell bent for leather
Old 05-28-2000, 07:20 AM

My positive battery cable and starter wires are showing signs of damage from header heat. The battery cable is already down to the bare wire. I'm getting the impression that header wrap is the wrong way to go, and I don't have the cash at the moment to get ceramic coating. Do the aluminum sleeves that cover up wires work well enough to keep them from being melted? If so I'll definately put on some to save my wires.

Hell bent
Hell bent for leather
Old 05-28-2000, 08:32 AM
Exhaust Guru

Mr. Maniac, anything that covers it and does not touch the tubes would be good. Can you adapt the original GM/Pontiac steel sleeve that covers the cables on some Pontiacs?
Tom Hand

Old 05-28-2000, 10:42 PM

what about fabbing up a shield between the header and the starter? alot of gm starters had one that connected to the starter housing bolt at the rear and the soloenoid mount on the front. i put one on my tow vehicle and solved the same problem. mike

moderator is a glorified word for an unappreciated prick..................

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the
former." --Albert Einstein

"There is no such thing as a good tax."

"We contend that for a nation to tax itself into prosperity is like a man standing in a bucket and trying to lift himself up by the handle."

- Winston Churchill
Old 05-29-2000, 05:21 PM

Maniac, do what Tom suggested and find an original type wire shield. If you don't have access to junk yards, the repo companies sell them too.

I had a mishap with my positive battery cable after starting my car up. I replaced the cables with heat resistant ones (braided steel outer) and extra heat shielding in addition to wrapping my headers for about the first 10 inches.

But I think the original Pontiac wire shield is all you need.

J