Old 08-18-2007, 10:44 PM

Default The Restorer's Guide by Jim Schild

Anybody bought this one yet, and if so, what did you think of it?

Old 08-19-2007, 02:53 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Can you give us some details?

What was he restoring??

Old 08-19-2007, 10:30 AM

The full title of the book is: "Original Pontiac Firebird and Trans Am 1967-2002: The Restorer's Guide".

It is listed on Amazon, with no customer reviews as yet, as it apparently came out in July. The book is 192 pages long, but no other details were provided.

Old 08-19-2007, 10:42 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Original Pontiac Firebird and Trans Am 1967-2002: The Restorer's Guide

Winner of Top Class at Pontiac Nationals, 2004 Cordova
Winner of Quick 16 At Ames 2004 Pontiac Tripower Nats

KRE's MR-1 - 1st 5 second Pontiac block ever!

"Every man has a right to his own opinion, but no man has a right to be wrong in his facts."

"People demand freedom of speech to make up for the freedom of thought which they avoid." – Socrates
Old 08-20-2007, 03:04 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I haven't read nor seen this book yet.But it is supposed to be a restorers guide to all 4 generations of Birds?? Not for me. There are too many variations in year to year/plant to plant cars, much less all 4 generations. Sounds like the author tried to write a book that would please the widest audience so he could sell more books. I could think of 4-5 books just on the 2nd gens(like 1970-1971,1972-1973,1974-1977 etc) that would be similar enough to do a thorough restporation book on, but all 4 gens in one book?? yes, I am keeping my money on this one...

Old 08-20-2007, 12:27 PM
Ultimate Warrior

So what you are saying is that a restoration guide for 35 years of Firebird production won't fit into 192 pages???

I TOTALLY AGREE!

Was optimistic on the last one (70-81 Firebird Resto Guide by Joe Moore) but it turns out that best part of that one was the picture on the front cover.

I WILL likely buy it for the entertainment value & we really shouldn't trash on it before somebody looks inside of one.

Old 08-20-2007, 02:42 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Send a message via MSN to thefirebirdm@n

I agree with 70 and 2many. When I saw the year coverage I thought the same thing. How could you possibly provide a good restorer's guide that covers every year. I'll buy one anyway because I have to have a copy of any and every book ever put into print about Firebirds but I'm skeptical.

I guess "Restorer's Guide" is somewhat subjective anyway.

1973 Trans Am 455/4-speed
1971 Formula 400/400
1969 GTO 400/400 - 3rd owner
1968 Firebird Convertible 350/200R4

POCI - AAC
Old 08-20-2007, 04:04 PM

I have it, amazon had it on stock here, so I picked it up ordering some other stuff.

Restorer's guide is a bit of an exaggeration, it's basically just a recap of available colors, options, codes, etc. Averages about 35 pages per chapter (1 chapter each for 67-69, 70-73, 74-81, 82-92, 93-02). Has some nice pictures, but some are of cars I have seen elsewhere (i.e. the '1 OF 43' SD Formula).

Makes for a nice coffee table book.

Old 08-20-2007, 08:26 PM

Thanks for the input, all of which seems quite reasonable.

The question, then, is what is the best restoration guide for a early second generation Firebird? I have a 1970 Formula 400 RA III, and while it is pretty much complete, I'd like a decent guide just the same.

I have the 70 Pontiac manual, the Firebird supplement, the Fisher Body service manual, the Owners manual, the complete parts book (on CD), assorted brochures, and a few coffee table type books, but one can never have enough, right?

Old 08-20-2007, 09:13 PM
Ultimate Warrior

It sounds like you have ALL of the pertinent factory publications with the exception of the actual 70 Firebird assembly manual.

Unfortunately,I don't believe there is anything out there that could be considered useful or accurate in the way of restoration guides.

It seems that most authors that put together books for us 2ndgen Firebird guys are big on enthusiasm,but short on knowledge/correct info on their subject.

Most of the books I've seen are just the authors collection of pictures with a bit of info on each year thrown in for filler that is usually not even worth reading.

The pictures they use are generally of over-restored,modified or incorectly restored cars,which are interesting to look at (maybe),but USELESS for an accurate restoration.

Your BEST resource is RIGHT HERE!

This is the biggest pool of accurate Pontiac & (specifically 2ndgen Firebird )information in the universe.

Spend some time learning the search feature & you can likely find EVERYTHING you will need to know in previous posts/discussions.

The Following User Says Thank You to 2manyT/A'S For This Useful Post:
Old 08-20-2007, 11:04 PM
Ultimate Warrior

There is a restoration book on the 1970-1971 Cars in the works. The author has disassembled 7 1970/71 firebirds bolt by bolt clip by clip etc and catalogued every single part down to the correct length/foundry markings, correct finsihes on every single last bolt,clip bracket etc.... All the assembly inspenction paint markings etc.. Correct paint codes etcc ,over spray patterns, basically all the stuff a real guy restoring one of these cars wants, not all the fact and figures and part numbers these other so called restoration books provide... It will be full of detailed color photos(300 plus already) and hopefully will be done by 1st of 2008 or spring of 2008. Will not be a profitable book, and will probably be a small print< 5000 copies, but it will be what is needed to acurately re assemble a 1970/1971 Car. I am the author.I have gone as far as to fly all over the country,including Canada taking pictures of every original car I can find besides the seven that is disassembled to get information for this book, in fact I just reurned from Calgary a few weeks ago looking at the lowerst original 1970 RA IV(18k) left..You guys will see the book on EBay and here on the forum when I finish. If any of you guys really need some detailed questions asked , you are welcome to PM me.I have 5 large binders with notes/pictures etc.. I am in the middle of a 1970 and a 1971 Restoration myself, so I am not just some author trying to make a buck selling a book. Just have the spare time and wanted to provide the book that is needed. keep your eyes open starting 2008...

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 70RAlll For This Useful Post:
Old 08-20-2007, 11:18 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by 70RAlll
There is a restoration book on the 1970-1971 Cars in the works. The author has disassembled 7 1970/71 firebirds bolt by bolt clip by clip etc and catalogued every single part down to the correct length/foundry markings, correct finsihes on every single last bolt,clip bracket etc.... All the assembly inspenction paint markings etc.. Correct paint codes etcc ,over spray patterns, basically all the stuff a real guy restoring one of these cars wants, not all the fact and figures and part numbers these other so called restoration books provide... It will be full of detailed color photos(300 plus already) and hopefully will be done by 1st of 2008 or spring of 2008. Will not be a profitable book, and will probably be a small print< 5000 copies, but it will be what is needed to acurately re assemble a 1970/1971 Car. I am the author.I have gone as far as to fly all over the country,including Canada taking pictures of every original car I can find besides the seven that is disassembled to get information for this book, in fact I just reurned from Calgary a few weeks ago looking at the lowerst original 1970 RA IV(18k) left..You guys will see the book on EBay and here on the forum when I finish. If any of you guys really need some detailed questions asked , you are welcome to PM me.I have 5 large binders with notes/pictures etc.. I am in the middle of a 1970 and a 1971 Restoration myself, so I am not just some author trying to make a buck selling a book. Just have the spare time and wanted to provide the book that is needed. keep your eyes open starting 2008...

WOW! That is some good news for some very lucky people. I just have two questions. When are you going to do '73s, and Super-Duties?

Old 08-20-2007, 11:26 PM
Ultimate Warrior

70 RAIII, (Bill Oxley) is without question the most knowledgeable person on 70 Trans Ams that I have had the pleasure to deal with. Bill let me be the first to order your book, where do I send the $$$$$$
Craig

Old 08-21-2007, 01:12 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norwood
70 RAIII, (Bill Oxley) is without question the most knowledgeable person on 70 Trans Ams that I have had the pleasure to deal with. Bill let me be the first to order your book, where do I send the $$$$$$
Craig
Thats a good enough reference for me. I'll buy one too.
Chris.

Old 08-21-2007, 01:13 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I'll take #2 if you sign it for me...
Ah, what the heck, even if you don't sign it I'll take #2

73 TA 4 spd #'s match red/white - "STOLEN" AT TERRY SPEAR's SHOP IN Columbia TN ~mid 2014
Last offical pic of the car can been seen here:
http://clubs.hemmings.com/pontiactn/...%20-%20rev.pdf
People have seen it posted FS on Craigs List back in late 2013 early 2014....

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
IF YOU HAVE ANY INFO ABOUT IT PLEASE CONTACT ME!!!
Old 08-21-2007, 03:08 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Craig you comments are appreciated, but it can easily be said that you have to be one of the best metal fabricators out there...without a doubt. Sort of one of those things that doesn't even need to be said,just look at the quality of your work. ANd yes guys...thnaks for the interest, but no I will not be talking any orders yet.. Hopefully I can keep the cost down around $25 or so. Color Photos add a great deal to the cost of production and I am not going to use a single black and white. As far as doing other years, doubt I will. Hopefully my book will spur someone who has the time and passion for lets say 1972-73 cars etc to do another book. And I could have tried to do lets say 1970-1973 models, but I wanted to make sure I was thorough enough and 70 and 71's have enough subtle differences,not to mention Van Nuys vs Norwood, to fill a book without adding other years. Anyway, kep your eyes peeled early 2008..

Old 08-21-2007, 03:50 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Glad to hear that there will FINALLY be a QUALITY information resource for our favorite year Firebird.

Are you finished gathering data yet?

Old 08-21-2007, 07:55 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Actually I have all teh data I will need,EXCAPT one thing...I need an original NOrwood car to take a look at the Gas/Return/Brake line clips for their various colors.I have the 1971 cars,and teh 1970 Van Nuys clips already catalogued, but haven't found a clean enough Norwood car yet. There were anywhere from 5-8 different colors used on these clips.. PM me if you cold help on this one...

Old 08-21-2007, 09:50 AM
Ultimate Warrior

yea, yea, yea, i know you said you weren't taking orders, i just had to go on record to say i'm in @ #4

Old 08-21-2007, 10:36 AM
Ultimate Warrior

And #5 here, even though I'm a '72 owner.

This is the kind of detailed info I will enjoy pouring through, and I'm certain that many details will apply to '72's as well.

2008 GMC Sierra Denali 2WD Crew, L92 6L80E, Silver w/ Ebony guts, 14.26 @ 98