Old 06-27-2011, 02:08 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Formulabruce View Post
I know Napa sells both Rotors and you can compare them right on the front counter
The rotors I bought at NAPA were made in China !!!!!
I have an account there, and I couldn't get a "Made in America" rotor.

Old 06-27-2011, 03:24 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Navarro View Post
The rotors I bought at NAPA were made in China !!!!!
I have an account there, and I couldn't get a "Made in America" rotor.
Napa does in fact sell made in China Rotors, I said so. The other set was made in Canada, and was a raybestos , That was last year
There was none made in the USA though as you say..

Old 06-27-2011, 06:48 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Location: 31May2013 Temporary home to the world's widest (that we know of) tornado. Lord, NO more Please...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Navarro View Post
Word of advise..........if replacing rotors with crappy asian parts, by all means use organic pads. I used premium pads on a pair of asian rotors and it ate those rotors up.
This is of course the wifes daily driver (she's brutal on brakes) so it may not apply as much to our part-time drivers.
Anyway, having VERY little choice in a quality product, i bought another pair of asian rotors (AC-Delco) along with organic pads. I've noticed that the organics have VERY little dusting as compared to premium pads and really don't notice any lack in stopping performance.
Plus, i'd rather change pads more frequently than deal with crappy rotors and premium pads.
I'm looking forward to see what the 614 pads look like... There are actually two different industry numbers for brake pads (the shoes are all the same) My local NAPA uses a different number system than the "D" part numbers that a lot of us are familiar with. I used to sell a brand that used the NAPA system, but have forgotten it...

Larry,
I used to sell auto parts, have not though since, 98, (Thank You Lord). Import rotors were becoming popular then, I'm with you on rotor problems, but I would see all kinds of goofy crap, as far as brakes wearing out rotors, and such, no particular brand of car or brake parts. The front wheel drive stuff baffled me as to why some folks had a lot problems...

Organic pads used to mean asbestos, now I guess it's ceramic..A lot of folks wouldn't use semi metallic pads, because they'd been told it would wear the rotors out faster, I'd almost never seen that........but...... every driver is different

It was amazing how many folks would just slap pads on rotors, that were flat wore out...that was one of the biggest hurdles in customer complaints/feedback. A half ass brake job can kill. You ask the goober working on the car who's riding in it (your baby???) it could change their buying decision...

We had one guy that came in every 5-7 months, carrying in all his rotors (metal to metal) and ruinated disc pads, asking what's wrong here, somethings wrong. It was his daughter's FWD Gran Prix...(Hmmm, a female driver). We couldn't machine his rotors, they were ground up and metal to metal. This happened several times. I persuaded him to buy the best semi metallic pads, w/ the new rotors. He came back to my store the next several times (story below ) because our stuff held up much longer that the cheap stuff he's been using

A couple of years later he came in the door, same situation, ALL rotors and pads, I turned away from the counter to head back to the brake area (I knew the part #'s), and I said Oh, your daughters Gran Prix???...........

HE said NO!!! My wife's Mercury Sable....

Crap!!! I stopped in my tracks...What???? My daughter's car, has been in the shop for the last 2 monthes, SHE"S DRIVING MY WIFES CAR, I said, "oh"

My best braking advice from my experiences is still the best semi metallic pads,

Shut it off
Shut it off
Buddy, I just shut your Prius down...

Last edited by 77 TRASHCAN; 06-27-2011 at 06:54 PM.
Old 07-25-2011, 12:03 AM

I'm thinking about upgrading to different front calipers, maybe a set of Summit Racing BK185S, which use two pistons and are made of aluminum. Anyone using those, or some other upgraded calipers? If so, did you see a real improvement?

Old 01-11-2012, 10:45 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Whats the advantage of using the impala ss brake pads? just more material?

2017, 74 firebird -3600 lbs (all bests) 1.33 60 ft, 6.314@108.39 9.950@134.32
M/T 275/60 ET SS Drag Radial

2023,(Pontiac 505) 1.27 60 ft, 5.97@112.86, 9.48@139.31.... 275/60 Radial Pro's