1982-92 TA & FB TECH 1993-2002 TA & FB Tech is now part of the new Late Model Section of the PY Forums. Click this link to check it out.

Old 08-08-2003, 11:31 AM

I have a column shift '79 grandprix, I've got a new column for it so I can put in a floor shifter (68 GTO His/Hers) for the TH400. How do I remove the steering column? I noticed inside the car at the firewall there was four screws that held a metal plate to the firewall and the column went through it. This metal plate has a lot of insulation and putty holding it to the firewall so it'll take me awhile to remove the plate without bending it too much. Next, I noticed that there is a half way point in the engine bay, where the column and the steering box meet. It's a knuckle with a single bolt holding the two column ends together, is that where I remove it? Thanks for any help you can give me or a link or anything.

Adam

All the parts and the car pickled away for now, college and work got in the way of my fun. But hey, they say the average car guy project lasts four years from start to a satisfactory completion.
Old 08-08-2003, 11:31 AM

I have a column shift '79 grandprix, I've got a new column for it so I can put in a floor shifter (68 GTO His/Hers) for the TH400. How do I remove the steering column? I noticed inside the car at the firewall there was four screws that held a metal plate to the firewall and the column went through it. This metal plate has a lot of insulation and putty holding it to the firewall so it'll take me awhile to remove the plate without bending it too much. Next, I noticed that there is a half way point in the engine bay, where the column and the steering box meet. It's a knuckle with a single bolt holding the two column ends together, is that where I remove it? Thanks for any help you can give me or a link or anything.

Adam

All the parts and the car pickled away for now, college and work got in the way of my fun. But hey, they say the average car guy project lasts four years from start to a satisfactory completion.
Old 08-08-2003, 02:34 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Should be two bolts at the steer box connector and two under the dash holding it to the dash. Sounds like you bout got it figured out unplug wires when you get it down. Be sure wires match up with the new one.

Old 08-10-2003, 08:50 PM

Thanks for the info! I found the four bolts holding a metal plate with all kinds of sealant, it's taken me four hours to just get that off, I'll look for the two bolts under the dash area tommorow. Hopefully it'll come out, the new one will go in, and that his and hers will be in place by tuesday. This car's finally coming along! Thanks again!

Adam