Old 08-22-2012, 03:13 PM
Senior Chief

Default Factory Cruise Control worth a darn?

How well did factory cruise control work back in the day?

Thinking about piecing together a set up for the car, but wondering if at the end of it I'll just be disappointed in the performance of it.

Old 08-22-2012, 03:55 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by 70455HOVert View Post
How well did factory cruise control work back in the day?

Thinking about piecing together a set up for the car, but wondering if at the end of it I'll just be disappointed in the performance of it.
It worked VERY well indeed. No resume or tap up - tap down feature, but it worked just fine. Usually held your speed better than most modern units, as long as the speedo cables were in good condition.

Had one on my '72 GTO and LOVED it.

2008 GMC Sierra Denali 2WD Crew, L92 6L80E, Silver w/ Ebony guts, 14.26 @ 98
Old 08-22-2012, 04:14 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I used to be a tech at a Olds dealer for 12 years. The GM cruise controls were good units. Kept good speeds even up hills.

Car is a junk yard dog and maybe one day will be restored.
Old 08-22-2012, 07:54 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lloyd-TX View Post
It worked VERY well indeed. No resume or tap up - tap down feature, but it worked just fine. Usually held your speed better than most modern units, as long as the speedo cables were in good condition.

Had one on my '72 GTO and LOVED it.
What Lloyd said! My '69 Bonnie has it and it works every bit as good as the ones on my modern cars- if not better! Simpler to use too.

1979 Trans Am 400, 4-speed, 4 wheel disc.

View from the drivers seat racing down Atco Raceway- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GhYDMdOEC7A

Ride along in the other lane-http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mIzgpLtF_uw
Old 08-22-2012, 07:58 PM
Senior Chief

Ok, good to know!

So in the system, there's a transducer that mounts to the inner fender, gets a speedo cable from the tranny, and then an output speed cable to the dash.

Transducer sends a signal to the vacuum powered dashpot mounted on the engine that has the chain for the throttle, and modulated the throttle movement, and then a switch on the column to activate it, and a switch somewhere to kick it off in case you touch the brakes?

Any pics of the factory setup would be greatly appreciated.

Old 08-22-2012, 09:11 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Location: Pontiac Heaven in the Arizona desert & above the White mountains in the cool country of eastern Az

Yup, they work real well, in fact they are more reliable than the ones used in the late 70s units for sure.

Hosting-
23rd annual Pontiac Heaven weekend- Phoenix pending due to covid
Pontiac Heaven Museum in process
Phil 2:11
Old 08-22-2012, 09:37 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Were these only available on automatic equipped cars? Years ago I removed a complete setup from a 70 GTO with a TH400, and planned to use it on my Judge with a manual OD tranny.

I'm thinking it should be fine if I add another vacuum break switch on the clutch pedal to cancel the cruise is I push the clutch in, similar to what was used on the brake pedal.

Oshawa built 1 option Judge basket case. 463, SD KRE 295's, CNC'd factory intake, Cliff's Qjet, Stump Puller HR cam, RARE RA manifolds, Pypes exhaust, T56 Magnum, McLeod RXT clutch, 3.42 12 bolt. 24 year project almost done...

Last edited by mrennie; 08-22-2012 at 09:43 PM.
Old 08-23-2012, 07:52 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I always wanted to put the cruise on the stick as well. Hell, I put the cruise on just driving down the street!

Old 08-23-2012, 09:43 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I just installed criuse on my 71 Trans am 4SPD. Works good but has a couple bugs, still making adjustments. I have a 5 SPD on order, so I'll dial in again when that's installed. If any body has questions I'll be glad to answer.

1978 Black & Gold T/A [complete 70 Ram Air III (carb to pan) PQ and 12 bolt], fully loaded, deluxe, WS6, T-Top car - 1972 Formula 455HO Ram Air numbers matching Julep Green - 1971 T/A 455, 320 CFM Eheads, RP cam, Doug's headers, Fuel injection, TKX 5 Spd. 12 Bolt 3.73, 4 wheel disc. All A/C cars
Old 08-23-2012, 09:58 PM
Ultimate Warrior

What kind of bugs? Did you add something to the clutch pedal to cancel the cruise when the pedal is depressed?

Thanks

Oshawa built 1 option Judge basket case. 463, SD KRE 295's, CNC'd factory intake, Cliff's Qjet, Stump Puller HR cam, RARE RA manifolds, Pypes exhaust, T56 Magnum, McLeod RXT clutch, 3.42 12 bolt. 24 year project almost done...
Old 08-23-2012, 10:17 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankieT/A View Post
If any body has questions I'll be glad to answer.
I'll take you up on your offer! Trying to troubleshoot the cruise control system on my auto equipped 68 Firebird. Should the system hold a speed if the vacuum line from the brake switch is not connected to the vacuum line connecting the regulator to the servo (I have a line going from the regulator directly to the servo without the tee)? Hopefully, my description makes sense. I'm just trying to figure out the source of my problem (I did confirm that the servo will pull the throttle if I connect it directly to vacuum).

Old 08-23-2012, 10:35 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I have the cruise controll switch on my turn signal,just need EVERYTHING else now LOL may have an extra if someone wants it,i will have to look though.IIRC the chrome was bad but?....

Old 08-23-2012, 10:59 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Ok, the vacuum line that goes to the brake switch is tee'd off and creates a vacuum leak if the brake is depressed and the cruise control doesn't want to release electrically. It's really just back up safety. You could conceivably put a vacuum cap on it for test purposes ONLY. I never recommend defeating a safety device. However, I am not using a clutch release mechanism currently for two reasons. 1) I'm the only one who drives the car. 2) I wanted to get it up and running before I start fabricating for the clutch pedal.

Bugs: it's a little sensitive. But right now I'm using the vacuum diaphragm (servo) from a Jag because it is much smaller than the Pontiac one. So, I'm making adjustments to see if I can dial it out. If that doesn't work I will try the original Pontiac one.

I, myself am trying to see if it's a manual thing. Remember, manual is gear to gear, while auto's have a hydraulic cushion so to speak.

1978 Black & Gold T/A [complete 70 Ram Air III (carb to pan) PQ and 12 bolt], fully loaded, deluxe, WS6, T-Top car - 1972 Formula 455HO Ram Air numbers matching Julep Green - 1971 T/A 455, 320 CFM Eheads, RP cam, Doug's headers, Fuel injection, TKX 5 Spd. 12 Bolt 3.73, 4 wheel disc. All A/C cars
Old 08-23-2012, 11:26 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Thanks. Then I guess my problem is with the regulator or switch. What's the easiest way to determine the culprit? Thanks in advance.

Old 08-23-2012, 11:37 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Acually, mine came out of a car I was not able to test. So, I bench tested it. I used a 12 power inverter I use to test stereos and such to supply electrical power. Then I used a vacuum pump used to evacuate A/C systems for my vacuum supply, then I chucked a speedometer cable in to a variable speed drill. I actually had it operating on the bench. I could see it modulating and metering vacuum to the servo. At that point I installed it in the car. First test drive it worked, but surged like crazy. Then I started tweaking the adjustments. I have it down to "slightly annoying". LOL But, still a work in progress. I feel I can get the rest out. Maybe by restricting some vacuum or changing the leverage on the throttle.