Old 08-23-2012, 12:52 PM

Default Looking For 70 GTO Front Fenders Information

Retired, I am working on a 2nd 70 GTO project and I am on a huge learning curve.

It looks like I will need to replace both front fenders on this project. I understand these fenders are specific to this particular year/car.

Two questions pertaining to reproduction fenders:

1. Are most of the reproduction fenders on the market from the same manufacturer which would mean it won't make any difference where I buy them?

2. How much work should I expect to have to do to make the reproduction fenders fit on the car?

70 GTO HT, Original Owner, Atoll Blue, #s Match, 400, 4-Speed, A/C, Hot Rod Power Tour Long Hauler
70 GTO HT, Burgundy, Not #s Match, 455, 4-Speed, Hot Rod Power Tour Long Hauler
70 GTO Convertible, Granada Gold, #s Match, 400, 3-Speed MT, Floor Shift, Hot Rod Power Tour Long Hauler
Old 08-23-2012, 01:55 PM
Ultimate Warrior

do a search there a ton of info on this particular subject

I read thru and made the decisaion new repop was good for me

The Goat whisperer

"I spent a lot of my money on booze, crazy women, and fast cars. The rest I just squandered."

Old 08-23-2012, 04:19 PM
Ultimate Warrior

the repops can be made to work, BUT do all the work and check mounting before painting. i have a set of repops that a guy traded me for a used set of original enders i had that needed work. he had painted everything then tryed to mount the turn signals in the fenders and found they wound not fit.
there are a couple other places that need work, so check the other threads, but they can be made to look pretty nice.

Old 08-23-2012, 06:51 PM

Thank you for the responses.

FYI, I did a search as recommended and, so far, found the below information (edited):

"...the gap between the door and fender on the passenger side is not great. I build up the backside of the fender using some welding rod & my MIG. It's not that hard to do, I've done it on other cars to get super clean gaps. ... I also had to do a little hammer & dolly work to the marker light hole for a better fit."

"...Side marker fitment is my biggest gripe...."

"...problems will have to be addressed such as drilling an extra hole and having only 2 bolts come from underneath to secure to fender..."

"...the fender well molding does fit. Again, one hole and maybe some adjustment holes might need to be addressed..."

"...most work was required in the "cove" area at the back of the fender. This is the area where the leading edge of the door swings into when opened. Apparently, the cove on the repro's is not deep enough and you may have to drill out the spot welds, hammer it in further, and re-weld..."

Some of the above information may be "dated". I would like to hear further, if anyone has something to add.

70 GTO HT, Original Owner, Atoll Blue, #s Match, 400, 4-Speed, A/C, Hot Rod Power Tour Long Hauler
70 GTO HT, Burgundy, Not #s Match, 455, 4-Speed, Hot Rod Power Tour Long Hauler
70 GTO Convertible, Granada Gold, #s Match, 400, 3-Speed MT, Floor Shift, Hot Rod Power Tour Long Hauler
Old 08-24-2012, 11:52 AM
Senior Chief

Send a message via AIM to 1968firebird455

I'll call in and see if these have been retooled or if the dies have been modified to help correct these issues.