Old 03-07-2024, 03:20 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Trusting Stripes??

As I continue making progress on putting back together the back end of my white '71 TA, I need to make a decision regarding which stripe decals to use. I have NOS stripes I bought probably better than 25 years ago. They've been in good dry storage ever since. I also have a set of repros a friend gave me after finishing his TA project. They're about 14-15 years old and were sourced from Ames (one package has a Phoenix Graphics mailing label).
Can I trust the old NOS decals? Is there a way to "test" them to see if they're still good?

(P.S., my preference would be to use as many NOS GM parts on this car as possible, but.....)

Old 03-07-2024, 07:51 PM

Easy to test, stick them on car. If no good, remove.

Old 03-07-2024, 11:02 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red80TA View Post
Easy to test, stick them on car. If no good, remove.
If it was only that simple.

The Following User Says Thank You to Transamric For This Useful Post:
Old 03-07-2024, 11:12 PM
Senior Chief

I would not trust old stripes especially if you could potentially damage great paint if glue on them is no good etc.

Best to buy new stripes from Stencils and Stripes I feel...

Old 03-08-2024, 02:00 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I used nos ones on an old paint 71 ta several years ago . Stripes were wrinkled and coming apart . Laid them on and rolled car into the sunlight and they came out great

Old 03-08-2024, 08:37 AM
Ultimate Warrior

My thought is, if the NOS ones have been stored well and backing paper protected the adhesive, assuming the backing paper will come off OK then why wouldn't they be good?

If the adhesive deteriorated after X years in storage, would that not mean that after X year on a car, they would also be failing/falling off? Maybe that is a question...has anyone had stripes come off after X years of being on a car?

Oshawa built 1 option Judge basket case. 463, SD KRE 295's, CNC'd factory intake, Cliff's Qjet, Stump Puller HR cam, RARE RA manifolds, Pypes exhaust, T56 Magnum, McLeod RXT clutch, 3.42 12 bolt. 24 year project almost done...
Old 03-08-2024, 03:50 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tellyshavilli View Post
I used nos ones on an old paint 71 ta several years ago . Stripes were wrinkled and coming apart . Laid them on and rolled car into the sunlight and they came out great
Do you recall if you used a dry or wet install method? I was surprised to see the instructions describe a dry install. I thought they always had to be installed wet.

Old 03-08-2024, 04:58 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Transamric View Post
Do you recall if you used a dry or wet install method? I was surprised to see the instructions describe a dry install. I thought they always had to be installed wet.
We did wet install