Members Helping Members help Buying a non Pontiac item, transportation help, Handy-man advice, directions, vacation ideas, places to dine, ebay and generally anything you think might help other members.

Old 08-11-2007, 03:56 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Send a message via AIM to *67firebird*
Default Anyone here an aviation mechanic

for the past few months i have been looking at being a Aviation Mechanic, but i wasn't too sure on the job guarantees. just yesterday i saw a commercial for a school for aviation mechanics and its said they are on high demand.

I am a helicopter Mechanic in the Marines Reserves, and i have been considering going active duty so that i can get a lot of training don and possibly a better job offer, i know that it isnt necessary for me to go active, but i want to get all the training i can.

Once i finish my active duty term, or during it i would like to get my A&P/FAA license, and hit off what i hope to be a great career.

so should i go active, get the most training i can on several different aircraft and get my licenses or should i attend one of this really high dollar tech schools to get it done now. and get started on my career now, not in 4 years???
Anyone have any insight on this?

Thanks A bunch

Oz.

Performer RPM-850DP
Auburn- 3.55 gear
CC HR custom grind

Last edited by *67firebird*; 08-11-2007 at 04:01 AM.
Old 08-11-2007, 10:16 AM
Senior Chief

Get ready for a shaky career. I've been a meckanic for a big airline for 16 years. Laid off once, forced to transfer to other departments, and lost 30% of my pay. Not that it is all negative, The pay will possibly go back up and depending on which airline you go to, the benifits can be great. If I were to start over and not mind relocating, I would go to FedEx or UPS. They have great pay and benifits. You will most likely be on midnight shift and work weekends for many years. As far as schools, look around for vocational schools that have aviation classes. Thats what I did. The cost is very resonable and should only take a little over a year. You will be able to test for your A&P after you finish. The down side is that at the vocational school you just get a license, at the more expensive schools you will get a degree. Hope that helps

Old 08-13-2007, 11:58 AM

I was an avionics tech on E-3 AWACS (Boeing 707 airframes) in the USAF in the early '90's After I got out, I went to a few job interviews here with different companies that fly out of Sky Harbor here in town while working on my FCC license and from what I found, military experience was not something that they really seamed too interested in and my experience was even on heavy A/C's. I was fairly dissapointed in the wages that they where offering as well. I can't imagine that experience on fighter or support A/C's would translate well to the real world as far as commercial goes. The ex-military guys that work on Helo's seem to do well in transition to the outside. I would choose the technical school route, especially if you have some G.I. bill money to use.

Just my $.02 and with that and another $3.57 you can get a overpriced cup of coffee from Seattle.

Old 08-13-2007, 12:36 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Hi,
I would suggest that you go to AMT Magazine and look for their wage and salary surveys. www.amtonline.com
From what I understand, you need 2 years of hands on experience working for a company doing aircraft maintenance in order to take the FAA A&P practical examination, if you do not go to a aircraft maintenance school. You have to have pay stubs to prove the employment and a logbook to prove what you have worked on.
From what I see, there is a demand for A&Ps, but the pay is low. General Aviation is being strangled by the high cost of fuel and insurance. There has been a decline in the flying hours by GA pilots. Hence less need for aircraft repair. Its like a flat spin, I don't know where it will bottom out. If the Federal Govt imposes user fees on GA, the coffin lid will close.
A lot of A&Ps I have known can't support themselves working on aircraft full time. Many become automotive technicians at dealerships where the pay is better and they can get medical benefits for themselves and their families.
Sorry to sound so pesimistic, but that is how I see it.
Mike

Old 08-15-2007, 12:30 AM

OZ, I've been an aircraft mechanic for 15 years. I got hired right out of a vo-tech school with my A & P. It took me 23 months? I think. Only cost me a few thousand, compared to the high cost schools 10-15 thousand. I started out with a puddle jumper airline, I stayed there 6 years. Then after working in the hub for FEDEX, I bid on an a/c mechanic job. Because I had prior experience I got the job for FEDEX. I've now been working here for 9 years and make good money, not pilot great, but mechanic good. It was a long road, and the only saving grace was working for a cargo airline. People haulers are directly affected by travelers, economy, terrorism......... People will always need to ship something somewhere. My only advise to you is go cargo only, there is too much going on in the world for a passenger airline. If you did stay in for 4 years and get your training, you can come out of the military and take an expidited class and get you A&P quicker. I knew some guys at school that did that. Think about it, it can be a long road. Personally, I love it. David

1977 Pontiac Can Am, firethorn interior- buckets/console,tilt,tach and a/c, posi and rally II's. I'm the 4th owner, and happy it's mine! I tried to buy my first one in 1986, 20 years later I finally got one! Then Only after a few fun years, needed to sell it.
Old 08-15-2007, 01:50 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Send a message via AIM to *67firebird*

thanks for the tip guys.

dblsprt68, thats great advice, infact im thinking of changing from helo mech to f-18 mech since thats all i get to work on when i do my once a month.

i was looking at working at a municipal airport part time- and then if i could something like what you are doing. is it a competetive job to get at FEDEX at least??

Performer RPM-850DP
Auburn- 3.55 gear
CC HR custom grind