Members Helping Members help Buying a non Pontiac item, transportation help, Handy-man advice, directions, vacation ideas, places to dine, ebay and generally anything you think might help other members.

Old 05-10-2008, 05:46 PM

Default 1979 Suzuki GS850 Parts needed

Hi guys, just picked up my next project, 79 GS850. It needs quite a bit of work but thats where the fun is. Anyone got any parts? Specifically a decent head? Found one local-ish but for the amount they want i'd be better off paying shipping from the states if i can find one.
Will

Old 05-10-2008, 07:17 PM
Ultimate Warrior

That's a great bike, although I don't have any spares for you. I used to have a GS750 and now have a GS1000, a friend of mine bought a GS850 new and I put a lot of miles on it.

I don't recall ever hearing of any head issues for the GS Suzuki - does it just need a valve job or something, or is it damaged beyond repair?

Here's a good salvage yard: http://www.sportwheel.com/

Here's a good general website for information: http://www.thegsresources.com/

Old 05-10-2008, 08:52 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I had a 79 GS850, great bike. The last year for points and straight slide carbs. I put a LOT of miles on mine, and really liked that bike.....Cliff

73 Ventura, SOLD 455, 3740lbs, 11.30's at 120mph, 1977 Pontiac Q-jet, HO intake, HEI, 10" converter, 3.42 gears, DOT's, 7.20's at 96mph and still WAY under the roll bar rule. Best ET to date 7.18 at 97MPH (1/8th mile),
Old 05-10-2008, 09:46 PM

thanks for the links, good to hear they are decent bikes. Reason I need the head is the bike was tipped at one point and is now missing a few chunks of the head. Found one locally for $250 but just shopping around. I payed too much for the bike as it is ($400) but I fell in love and see too much potential. Plan is to get it running again then do a complete tear down, go thru it completely and paint her up real nice, thinkin pearl white with metallic black/charcoal frame. Hopefully have it ready to cruise in late summer.

Old 05-11-2008, 09:50 AM
Ultimate Warrior

They use two sets of points, sort of a PITA to set correctly, and require periodical maintenence.

The carbs are very sensitive to drying up periods, old fuel, etc. I would imagine you'll have to take them down for a good cleaning, and rodding out all the tiny holes with precision drill bits.

The head used double overhead cams, cam chain, etc, with the "bucket/shim" arrangement. Pretty much maintenence free, once you get them set. I might still have the special tool required to remove the shims, I'll check today to see if it's still in the special tool box?.....Cliff

73 Ventura, SOLD 455, 3740lbs, 11.30's at 120mph, 1977 Pontiac Q-jet, HO intake, HEI, 10" converter, 3.42 gears, DOT's, 7.20's at 96mph and still WAY under the roll bar rule. Best ET to date 7.18 at 97MPH (1/8th mile),