Members Helping Members help Buying a non Pontiac item, transportation help, Handy-man advice, directions, vacation ideas, places to dine, ebay and generally anything you think might help other members.

Old 07-14-2010, 06:07 PM
Senior Chief

Default Acura TSX Brake Question

Hi guys, On the way to Charleston, WV for the POCI convention, we had a problem with my wife's '05 TSX. We don't usually travel at 65-75 mph, but when we needed to brake at these high speeds, the steering wheel vibrated/shook considerably and the car shook/vibrated as well. However, when we brake at 40-50 mph we do not encounter this serious vibration. Also, when we travel at these high speeds, the car drives straight and true with no ill effects. It is only upon braking at these high speeds, that we encounter this problem. Could it be the rotors? Doesn't seem to be cause it doesn't do it all the time.
Any help/advice is appreciated. Thanks, Peter

Old 07-15-2010, 12:36 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I have the same problems with my Hondas. I believe I've traced it to "made in China" replacement brake rotors. When I switched back to my original Honda brake rotors the problem went away. (I keep two sets of rotors to save time on brake jobs.)

Some of the budget brake pads you get from the parts store are also crap.

There could also be corrosion/rust between the back of the brake pads and the calipers.

It is also essential that there is no rust between the rotor hat and the hub. Lug nuts must be evenly torqued to 80 ft-lbs with a torque wrench. I believe Honda also calls for no lube or antiseize on the lug bolts to avoid over-torqueing.

They also have a problem with the brake caliper pins getting too loose in the calipers. You will hear them rattle when you go over bumps. Pack the caliper pin bores with bearing grease and see if the problem goes away (temporarily). They have a version of the caliper pins that have a plastic coating on one of the pins that some Accords used. I'll have to see if I can find some to see if they will fit. I may also try to tighten up the clearance with some brass tubing.

Hope this helps and let us know what you find.