Members Helping Members help Buying a non Pontiac item, transportation help, Handy-man advice, directions, vacation ideas, places to dine, ebay and generally anything you think might help other members.

Old 04-06-2008, 03:11 PM

Default red light ticket

What are my chances of winning in court? Once of those situations where option A is if i slam on my brakes I'd skid into the intersection or get rear ended, and option B is to speed up and have the light turn red on your way through. I chose B and naturally there was a cop right there. We've all done it, why cant the law enforcement see it from a common sense stanpoint. $220 ticket, but its my first ticket, otherwise clean driving record. Im going to fight it, as 4 hours off work wont cost me that much. Any ideas/input on my chance of success?

Old 04-06-2008, 03:18 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Dont know about Canadian law but locally there is a well known lawyer for beating any ticket. Thats not a good ticket to have if your insurance checks it out.

Old 04-06-2008, 03:20 PM

well on the bright side, our insurance is governemnt run in sask, i think all I will get is a couple demerits, so my license will go up a bit. Otherwise, I license all my cars in my dads name so it shouldnt affect anything like that too bad.

Old 04-06-2008, 07:03 PM
Suspended

RedFlex red light camera systems operate by a sensor cut into the pavement. If the light turns red before you cross that sensor, you're caught. If you pass over the sensor prior to the light change, you're good. Look for the octagonal pavement cut at those intersections for the location. They're not in the same place as the traffic signal sensor, but they look similar.
We just had a case settled here where RedFlex (Australian company) had to pay back a ton of money because it was ticketing people fraudulently. Check into Yahoo groups or similar in your area to try to locate any sort of similar situation.

Soon someone is going to challenge the constitutionalality in Tenn. They rushed thru amendments to the charter to allow this system that are not valid to the State of Tenn Constit. Also, here they use blackmail to get you to pay $50 for the ticket (civil issue), or face a traffic conviction that appears on your license = extortion IMO.

Old 04-06-2008, 07:33 PM
Senior Chief

Send a message via AIM to Jimbro727

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1963PONTIACKID
What are my chances of winning in court? Once of those situations where option A is if i slam on my brakes I'd skid into the intersection or get rear ended, and option B is to speed up and have the light turn red on your way through. I chose B and naturally there was a cop right there. We've all done it, why cant the law enforcement see it from a common sense stanpoint. $220 ticket, but its my first ticket, otherwise clean driving record. Im going to fight it, as 4 hours off work wont cost me that much. Any ideas/input on my chance of success?
I agree we've all done it, but how are you going to fight it? You did run through the light, correct? That's why there's yellow, so there aren't any surprises

---CARS---
1978 Pontiac Firebird T/A - Martinique blue/blue interior - 400 bored .030 over and stroked with an Eagle kit to 458, SRP forged pistons, Eagle crank, 6x heads, comp cams springs, comp cams hydraulic flat tappet cam, TH-350, and a Jeff Walker Q-Jet.

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2982177
Old 04-06-2008, 08:03 PM
Ultimate Warrior

PonchoV8: Read it again.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1963PONTIACKID
and naturally there was a cop right there.

Old 04-06-2008, 08:05 PM
Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by PonchoV8
RedFlex red light camera systems operate by a sensor cut into the pavement. If the light turns red before you cross that sensor, you're caught. If you pass over the sensor prior to the light change, you're good. Look for the octagonal pavement cut at those intersections for the location. They're not in the same place as the traffic signal sensor, but they look similar.
We just had a case settled here where RedFlex (Australian company) had to pay back a ton of money because it was ticketing people fraudulently. Check into Yahoo groups or similar in your area to try to locate any sort of similar situation.

Soon someone is going to challenge the constitutionalality in Tenn. They rushed thru amendments to the charter to allow this system that are not valid to the State of Tenn Constit. Also, here they use blackmail to get you to pay $50 for the ticket (civil issue), or face a traffic conviction that appears on your license = extortion IMO.
Cool info, but not applicable in this situation.

Old 04-06-2008, 08:11 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I got a speeding ticket a couple months ago. 157.00 what? Any way I fought it and in court they lowered it to a non points violation. I dont know how it is in Canada but maybe you'll get lucky and the mounty will cut you a break and at least lower the fine. State your case, I've found that cops are more forgiving after the violation, as long as you didn't give him any lip.

Old 04-06-2008, 08:24 PM

well im gonna try anyways...like what was said, maybe they will at least lower it. Plus it was a female cop...definately worse to deal with than any male cops I've dealt with..
And I'm done my dumb driving days now...I was let off for offroading on private property once by a male cop, and also for stunting once by a male cop....now, I'm all grown up and a mature driver and something like this is what i get nailed for? d'oh! ah well what can ya do....

Old 04-06-2008, 08:35 PM
Boost Engineer

I did the same thing about 35 years ago. Except in my case I had Pontiac Metallic Brake Shoes and I had forgotten to put some heat into them. I was close to the light, I hit the brakes, the brakes did not work well, I went for the gas to make it thru on the yellow. The cop said it was Red when I was in the intersection but not in the center of the intersection what ever that meant. DB you know on that deal??

I went to court and lost. Young Man with a 64 GTO blowing through red lights, Right.

You got a snowball's chance on that deal but if the Judge will allow a fine and no points you will still be ahead of the game, IMO.

Tom V.

Despite small distractions, there are those who will go Forward, Learning, Sharing Knowledge, Doing what they can to help others move forward.
Old 04-06-2008, 10:19 PM
Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by 242177P
PonchoV8: Read it again.
I never read it the first time and still haven't.
Every other month or so there's some genius on this site that tries to think he understands me. And he finds that he doesn't--sooner or later he will. Now it's you. Last week it was bobsdar. Usually it's a person from up north somewhere (which doesn't surprise anyone) and here it is you--again--adding nothing--as typical.

I have an agenda and you read my post about red light cameras. I won. I'm sure I'll have to explain it to you again, so here goes. I have an agenda against red light cameras that I want to get out at an opportunity like this. You read it. I won.
Not so hard is it? The other guy found that I'm not a part hoarder in one post and that I lost money just to help another TA owner make more money for himself in another post. You have yet to learn that you have nothing to add to my post about unsticking a stuck motor and that you never disagreed with what I said. What do you have in common with the other guy. You assumed you knew my position and found you were yet again wrong. Fish in a barrel.

Old 04-06-2008, 10:37 PM
Ultimate Warrior

If the traffic light was'nt already red when you entered the intersection,you technically did'nt run a red light.

Going thru on a yellow that is about to turn red is legal,at least around here it is,as long as you entered the intersection before the light actually turns red,even if your still in the intersection after the light has turned red.

The standard definition of where the intersection starts/stops is roughly right before any cross walks,usually marked with that big white stripe across the lanes right before the cross walk.

But as stated it boils down to your word vs. the officers.

Good luck.

In the meantime,check out the cars HERE.

Old 04-06-2008, 11:39 PM

I think the law is either A) you half to be in the intersection before it turns red, or B) you half to be half way through the intersection before red. I don't know which one it is (here in Florida).

Thankfully, I usually enter the intersection before red, as I get caught in that situation a lot.

The only problem is, you're usually speeding to get through the intersection, so even if you don't run the light, a cop may still go after you for speeding.

Old 04-06-2008, 11:48 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I've heard of people who sat with a recorder and timed the lights. The yellow is inconsistent and proved some would get through on the yellow while others would not. Maybe an option on your part also.

Old 04-06-2008, 11:52 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I believe the logic is if it turns red while you are in the intersection, you had time to stop. Gunning it through is a no no.

“Nothing in the world can take the place of persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent. The slogan Press On! has solved and always will solve the problems of the human race.”
― Calvin Coolidge
Old 04-07-2008, 06:58 AM
Suspended

Quote:
Every other month or so there's some genius on this site that tries to think he understands me. And he finds that he doesn't--sooner or later he will. Now it's you. Last week it was bobsdar. Usually it's a person from up north somewhere (which doesn't surprise anyone) and here it is you--again--adding nothing--as typical.

I have an agenda and you read my post about red light cameras. I won. I'm sure I'll have to explain it to you again, so here goes. I have an agenda against red light cameras that I want to get out at an opportunity like this. You read it. I won.
Not so hard is it? The other guy found that I'm not a part hoarder in one post and that I lost money just to help another TA owner make more money for himself in another post. You have yet to learn that you have nothing to add to my post about unsticking a stuck motor and that you never disagreed with what I said. What do you have in common with the other guy. You assumed you knew my position and found you were yet again wrong. Fish in a barrel.
So basically you just post up whatever nonsense you feel like, even though this thread has NOTHING to do with redlight cameras, for example?

Gotcha.

Old 04-07-2008, 07:04 AM
Suspended

Basically I get inside someone's head and stomp a window or two out and then listen to them whine about the light getting in. Sometimes they tell me it's good information while they themselves make repeated posts on a topic while offering nothing to the topic but to read their own words.

EDIT: forgot my smilies. - which is about red light tickets.

Last edited by PonchoV8; 04-07-2008 at 07:39 AM.
Old 04-07-2008, 09:31 AM
Suspended

Quote:
Basically I get inside someone's head and stomp a window or two out and then listen to them whine about the light getting in. Sometimes they tell me it's good information while they themselves make repeated posts on a topic while offering nothing to the topic but to read their own words.

EDIT: forgot my smilies. - which is about red light tickets.
Ironic

Old 04-07-2008, 10:03 AM
Senior Chief

This advice isnt going to help you on this one but may in the future. Many cops give the attitude test when they stop you. You are polite and respectful to them and they are in return. Dont insult their intelligence by stating "I didnt run that red light" when you know you clearly did. And if you honestly think you didnt maybe say something like " I didnt think I ran that light but if I did I apologize and will try to be more careful". Some cops (like me) hate traffic court and are just looking for an excuse to give you a warning. Some cops NEVER give warnings. And many are somewhere in between and pretty reasonable. It never hurts to be nice. You may get one ticket instead of the two you could have. Or he may write 65mph instead of 79mph. You get the picture.

Old 04-07-2008, 10:33 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Send a message via AIM to baron_

Quote:
You're a pleasant one.

anyways...back to topic for those that are actually reading what others type...

PontiacKid, one of the typical defenses in law is 'necessity'
You had to do xxx because you were forced to do it, not because you wanted to do it.

Might not hurt to argue your case to the judge...in a very polite and respectable manner
Take responsibility for your actions, "Judge, I know what I did was wrong...."
And then explain why you hadn't assured enough distance to be able to stop safely...or there was a Semi speeding behind you, or whatever excuse applies (I don't think you explained)

As mentioned, you might get off with the fine and no points...which could still be a 'win'
In reality, any defense you offer to your actions might be enough to get the points waived....simply consuming the judge's time or threatening to make a case out of it can have them wanting to sweep it under the table (might also get a judge pissed off that you're wasting his time)

It's a bit of a crap shoot...but probably worth a try

http://forums.performanceyears.com/f...d.php?t=618281
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eJ9KworCMRE

Last edited by baron_; 04-07-2008 at 10:42 AM.