Non Pontiac Motors in Pontiacs includes factory 403,305,350 Chevy, Buick V6,
Also Pontiac Motors in non-Pontiacs!

Old 06-09-2009, 12:24 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default LS1/LS2 in a 67 Grand Prix

What would it take to install one? I've been toying around with the thought of pulling out the 400. I got this idea when I was at Ocean City, MD for the car cruise last month. There was a 59 Bonneville with an LS1 installed in it. I didn't get a change to talk to the owner to found out what he need to do.

Any thoughts?

www.musclecarsgalore.com
www.nikivee.com
[www.reverbnation.com/nikivee

1967 Pontiac GTO
1967 Pontiac Grand Prix
1972 Pontiac Lemans Sport Convertible
2015 Dodge Challenger ScatPack 392, 6 speed
2017 Ford Explorer AWD
Old 06-09-2009, 01:44 PM
Ultimate Warrior

You might take a look at this thread:

http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/...d.php?t=576137

Although it is specifically related to an LS3 into a '64 Tempest, it is quite detailed and I would suspect a lot of the concepts (and parts) are similar...

K

'74 Chevelle - original owner, 9.85 @ 136 mph besthttp://www.superchevy.com/features/s...hevy-chevelle/
My Pontiac Story: http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/...d.php?t=560524
"Intro from an old Assembly Plant Guy":http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=342926
Old 08-23-2009, 06:20 PM
Ultimate Warrior

You should have no space concerns at all. With the weight savings you should be able to put it where you want to.

I thought this would be way cool to, an ls1 powered full size poncho with a 6 speed and cruise, a/c etc etc. It would most likely get over 20mpg to boot.

John

Old 08-23-2009, 06:37 PM
Ultimate Warrior

money, and lots of it. if you can fabricate some simple stuff, you should have no problem and not spend a fortune.

Old 08-23-2009, 08:20 PM
Suspended

Why not build the 400 to beat the ls series engine and save the car, money in the process? Despite what some want to claim, it isn't hard to beat the ls series engines in power and mpg.

Old 08-24-2009, 09:06 PM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by goquick View Post
Why not build the 400 to beat the ls series engine and save the car, money in the process? Despite what some want to claim, it isn't hard to beat the ls series engines in power and mpg.
Because it's Nick's car and he will do whatever he wants with it.

Nick, I think I need your assistance with an engine for my LeMans.

2003 Chevrolet Monte Carlo SS Jeff Gordon Edition
2017 Dodge Challenger SXT Black Top Edition
Old 08-26-2009, 11:58 PM
Senior Chief

I am a pontiac guy solid however the LS engines are not something to squak at. I had 388rwhp with mods to my 2000 vette I still got 22 plus on the freeway and depending on my foot in town,I got 13-17. And it was sheer brutal power compared to many other cars that HP

I just put my LS1 on the engine stand the other day to install the new cam and modified oil pan it did not even lean down when I took it off the hoist like an iron block engine. Spinning it on my cheap engine stand is almost a one handed job compared to a back breaking spin with an iron block motor. 2-300 lbs weight savings, superior head designs it should make the big car near 50/50 weight distribution now that would be crazy in an old car like that.

I see the only issue with your swap is getting the right header to work, not sure what or if any other GM car shared your chassis?

I have a take out used engine and with the cost of it and all the conversion pieces I am in it for less, not more than building a solid pontiac motor with alum heads(Pontiac 8k easy)With a carburator no less. Would get considerably less MPG all the way around too.

Don't get me wrong I had recently built an IA2 to the tune of 17k!!! lost my job before I could get a chance to see what 650HP on pump gas felt like and had to sell it, but 17K I could have built an LS engine for way less got the HP and still would have had better gas mileage and had Injection versus a big fat carb. Plus lighter weight

It is all in what ya want to do, I built thhe IA because I wanted PONTIAC POWER In my prostreeter Trans Am not a chebby big block, BBC would have cost less also.

So I am one who is open to old school and new school tech. in our hobby, after all it is each persons hobby and each persons perogitive to build the car they want, not what someone else wants.

Peace

CURRENT CARS
68 Firbird 400ci convertible
Old 08-27-2009, 08:05 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Save money? LOL.....

Old 09-01-2009, 05:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_GTO View Post
Save money? LOL.....
you are better off talking to a brick!

Old 11-27-2009, 04:51 AM
Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by TA454 View Post
you are better off talking to a brick!
Until the LS series engines can beat my Pontiacs, you might as well!!!! And I've had enough try to with their ls series powered rides, but they haven't yet. Poor guy with a modifies ls1 with all ls4 top end stuff, gm's hottest cam, and a few mods like th largest accufab trttle body, slp headers and full exhaust, just went limping home last saturday.
My little ole 354 Pontiac spanked it.

Old 01-16-2010, 02:15 PM
Suspended

Quote:
Until the LS series engines can beat my Pontiacs, you might as well!!!! And I've had enough try to with their ls series powered rides, but they haven't yet. Poor guy with a modifies ls1 with all ls4 top end stuff, gm's hottest cam, and a few mods like th largest accufab trttle body, slp headers and full exhaust, just went limping home last saturday.
My little ole 354 Pontiac spanked it.
Comparing yourself to stupid people doesn't count!
You really don't want to mess with a "properly" built LS1, and it isn't that hard...

all engine - 5.7 litres worth
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1bFWPrSEJnI

The car now has run
9.66 @ 136mph

Old 01-16-2010, 02:44 PM
Suspended

ET 9.952 @ 137.20MPH

race weight 2900 lbs
All motor.
stock 6.0LS motor from an "06 truck.
installed the L92 heads
cam change - .620lift hyd roller with high 230's intake and 240's exhaust (Rapid Motorsports)
GM single plane manifold for the L92's, no porting!
custom 4150 fro ProSystems.
only 10.2/1 compression, runs on pump 93, powerbrakes work
TH350 Trans
Lenny at Ultimate converter

Old 01-20-2010, 08:12 PM

Default sometimes its easier buying it done

I have looked at doing something like this for a few years now.
I've aquired a 200r4 and was thinking of putting it in my 73 Grand Am// project x.
However, recently my son talked me into taking a side trip and stopping to look at a 73 Grand Prix he knew was for sale. Well, when I pulled up to the mellow yellow color of the GP I thought,hmm, not my first choice of colors, paints worn, but it looked solid. The sign said 73 GP with 1990 5.7 TPI and 700R4. $ 2500.00. Computer installed in cabin up under the front of the console, all new auto meter gauges in the dash
So we"re all this thing, solid floor boards, doors not rusted along the bottom. Has been bodywork to the rear fender. I asked for the keys and it starts right up. no smoke no leaks, I said to the guy, whats the story here, turns out that his friend had a 90 TA and wanted the 400 cid and 400 tranny, so he swapped them out. This guy now has it and he's selling everything 'cause no job.
So I chated with him about things, looked at his 56 nomad, told him I was kinda interested but didnt need another car right now, so he says, make me an offer on the GP, I have to make my house payment, what will it take. I picked it up the next day for $1500.
Its not beatiful, but once the snows gone I'm driving it 30 miles to work, stylin in my 73 and getting 25 mpg.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC01078.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	77.6 KB
ID:	194539   Click image for larger version

Name:	grand prix (66).jpg
Views:	51
Size:	83.9 KB
ID:	194540   Click image for larger version

Name:	grand prix (78).jpg
Views:	30
Size:	79.7 KB
ID:	194541   Click image for larger version

Name:	grand prix (72).jpg
Views:	21
Size:	54.4 KB
ID:	194542   Click image for larger version

Name:	grand prix (67).jpg
Views:	17
Size:	46.5 KB
ID:	194543  

1973 Grand Prix
1973 project X
1991 Sunbird V6 convertible (wifes)
Old 01-20-2010, 10:35 PM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by squirejohn View Post
I have looked at doing something like this for a few years now.
I've aquired a 200r4 and was thinking of putting it in my 73 Grand Am// project x.
However, recently my son talked me into taking a side trip and stopping to look at a 73 Grand Prix he knew was for sale. Well, when I pulled up to the mellow yellow color of the GP I thought,hmm, not my first choice of colors, paints worn, but it looked solid. The sign said 73 GP with 1990 5.7 TPI and 700R4. $ 2500.00. Computer installed in cabin up under the front of the console, all new auto meter gauges in the dash
So we"re all this thing, solid floor boards, doors not rusted along the bottom. Has been bodywork to the rear fender. I asked for the keys and it starts right up. no smoke no leaks, I said to the guy, whats the story here, turns out that his friend had a 90 TA and wanted the 400 cid and 400 tranny, so he swapped them out. This guy now has it and he's selling everything 'cause no job.
So I chated with him about things, looked at his 56 nomad, told him I was kinda interested but didnt need another car right now, so he says, make me an offer on the GP, I have to make my house payment, what will it take. I picked it up the next day for $1500.
Its not beatiful, but once the snows gone I'm driving it 30 miles to work, stylin in my 73 and getting 25 mpg.
cool deal what the heck almost cant so no to that price, pads, carpets and tinkering neat driver

CURRENT CARS
68 Firbird 400ci convertible