Old 11-27-2000, 12:01 PM

Hello, I'm planning to re-paint the engine of my '66 Lemans/326 and would like to know how to obtain the correct color schematic of the different engine components such as the PB Booster, Carb, Alternator, Fan & Clutch...etc.. Also, the appropriate color black for the firewall, Radiator, etc... In addition, I plan to paint the grills, which on the Lemans appear to be a charcoal grey/black? not sure. Is there a good reference point somewhere on the Net or a book that would provide this information? Thanks in advance for your help. Dan

Old 11-27-2000, 12:01 PM

Hello, I'm planning to re-paint the engine of my '66 Lemans/326 and would like to know how to obtain the correct color schematic of the different engine components such as the PB Booster, Carb, Alternator, Fan & Clutch...etc.. Also, the appropriate color black for the firewall, Radiator, etc... In addition, I plan to paint the grills, which on the Lemans appear to be a charcoal grey/black? not sure. Is there a good reference point somewhere on the Net or a book that would provide this information? Thanks in advance for your help. Dan

Old 11-27-2000, 04:19 PM
Administrator

Dan, You came to the right place!

Booster= Gold cad plated
Alternator= Natural(bead or sand blast housing for natural look)I believe most original alt. fans were gold cad
Carb= gold irridated (this is a chemical process, not a plating)
Radiator=Gloss Black
Firewall= 60 percent gloss black
Fan Guard= 60 percent gloss black
Core Support= 60 percent gloss black
I always thought the grills were silver. Argent is a nice match. Others can confirm or add. The GTO Restoration guide is a great book for info like you are requesting.

Old 11-27-2000, 05:59 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Chris, with all due respect, a minor disagreement on the carbs. Carbs in 1966 could be either Carter or Rochester. The Carter AFB would have natural aluminum castings. The external steel would have have one of 4 different finishes (depending on what Crown Plating was running that particular day, I have seen all four on the same carburetor - different pieces). These would have been white or yellow zinc, or white or yellow cadmium. The metal choke housing and the pump housing on the Carter were zinc alloy metal, and so would have been chromated (see below under Rochester). The Rochester carburetors would have a cast iron throttle body which was black oxide (Rochester did not paint the cast iron, as did Carter on older carburetors). The upper two thirds of the castings on Rochesters would be chromated (not irradite). This is a cold dip, where the casting is subjected to a solution of nitric, sulphuric, and chromic acids. Chromic acid is one of the items our government would like to eliminate from the solar system, and is the chief cause in the price increases the metal laundry companies are now charging for this process. The color is a chemical result of the etching of the acids, and was done to retard oxidation of the zinc alloy metal. The steel items on Rochester in 1966 were Zinc electroplated (white), and then treated with the yellow conversion coating. The body screws used on the Rochester were black oxide. The large headed screws (fast idle cam retaining screw, etc., were Zinc electroplate with the yellow conversion. Also, the tags on these carburetors were color coded. They were not just 'aluminum'. Jon.

------------------
Good carburetion is fuelish hot air.

"The most expensive carburetor is the wrong one given to you by your neighbor".

If you truly believe that "one size fits all" try walking a mile in your spouse's shoes!

Owner of The Carburetor Shop, LLC (of Missouri).

Current caretaker of the remains of Stromberg Caburetor, and custodian of the existing Carter and Kingston carburetor drawings.
Old 11-27-2000, 06:42 PM
Administrator

Whew! Where was my head at? I was thinking Q-jet all along. I figured 66 Lemans was going to have a 2bbl. not the AFB. Anyway, Dan....Carbking member name is that for good reason.

Old 11-27-2000, 09:32 PM

Guys, Thanks! for your help. I appreciate the color combinations and suggestion to obtain the restoration book. As far as the Carb goes...right now I do have the 2bbl original rochester carb. However, I have purchased a '65 4bbl intake and will be purchasing either a used Carter or Quad...maybe a totally rebuilt one. Although, they are quite expensive. By the way would I have any problems mounting a quad 4bbl on a '65 intake since it was originally meant for a Carter? Thanks again! Dan

Old 11-27-2000, 11:09 PM
Ultimate Warrior

nadmik, the 1965 4-barrel manifold was used with a Carter AFB (square-bore design). The Q-Jet is a spread-bore design. They don't mix. Either use the early manifold with the original carb; or with a small 400 to 500 CFM square-bore; or change the manifold if you wish to use the Q-Jet. If you go in favor of the Q-Jet, I personally like the O.E.M. 1968 or 1969 Pontiac cast iron boat anchor (eh, manifold). Others here may recommend one of the aluminum aftermarket units. Whichever, make sure the manifold and carburetor are matched, and match your heads. The spread-bore to square-bore (and vice-versa) adapters should be avoided. If you go with the early manifold, the easiest route (not necessarily the least expensive) would be the original 4-barrel from the engine you are trying to duplicate. This way original linkage, fuel line, and air cleaner all fit. Either an aftermarket AFB or a Q-Jet will require a different air cleaner (the original was 4 3/4 inch air intake, the others are 5 1/8), fabricating a fuel line (not difficult), and possibly rerouting linkage (again, not overly difficult). Jon.

------------------
Good carburetion is fuelish hot air.

[This message has been edited by carbking (edited 11-27-2000).]

"The most expensive carburetor is the wrong one given to you by your neighbor".

If you truly believe that "one size fits all" try walking a mile in your spouse's shoes!

Owner of The Carburetor Shop, LLC (of Missouri).

Current caretaker of the remains of Stromberg Caburetor, and custodian of the existing Carter and Kingston carburetor drawings.
Old 11-28-2000, 08:45 AM

Carbking, thanks for your input. You probably saved me some money, time & headaches. A couple of weeks ago I purchased an original 4bbl air cleaner for a '65, '66 or '67 GTO(so advertised). I should have had the guy measure the base of the opening because it is for a '67 rochester carb...the opening is greater than 5 inches. I took the chance because I rarely see these air cleaners come up for sale & one from YearOne or Ames cost $275.00. This one cost me $85.00 in excellent shape. I guess I could try and purchase the '65/'66 base..I believe the chrome top will work on both. Since my 326 has never been rebuilt & at this time it does not appear to need a rebuild, high performance intakes and carbs would be pointless. Personally, I just want to get a few more horses...and probably better gas mileage(if I keep my foot out of it) Again..thanks for your help. Dan

Old 11-28-2000, 07:32 PM
Administrator

The 67 is a little more rare and more valuable. Maybe a PY Forum member would make a trade? If not we have new ones for $50.00

PY part #RPE420B