Old 01-24-2001, 07:11 PM

I'm trying to ID. the rear axle on my 66 GTO. I looked at the location that the ID should be and nothing. I did find some markings on the pumpkin. They are F276 & 9783293. I bought a gasket for it "standard 10 bolt type" but it would not fit. Any help would be nice.

Old 01-24-2001, 07:11 PM

I'm trying to ID. the rear axle on my 66 GTO. I looked at the location that the ID should be and nothing. I did find some markings on the pumpkin. They are F276 & 9783293. I bought a gasket for it "standard 10 bolt type" but it would not fit. Any help would be nice.

Old 01-24-2001, 09:38 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Send a message via Yahoo to 1-GTO

Mike,the 2 letter code should be on the RH side of the rear axel housing and just below the break line.Try wire brushing or sanding a larger area and rub a piece of chalk across the area,then lightly wipe off the excess chalk.The code may show up some then.My Restoration Guide also states that due to a stamping machine breakdown,the code was moved to the top of the LH axel tube towards the end of the 1966 production year!So this change should be on GTO's dated 07C and later.You should need a rear gasket with the so called scalloped sides.Shaped like this ) ( on the sides.I would check the gear ratio stamped on the ring gear while you have the cover off just to make sure what ratio you have for sure!After 35 years alot could have been changed on a car.40:13 is 3.08's,42:13 is 3.23's,39:11 is 3.55's and 37:11 are 3.36 gears.Hope this helps you on finding your code.

------------------
GTO.....Gran Turismo Omologato,True Pontiac Excitement!

Old 01-24-2001, 09:47 PM
Bonker's-T-Cat Moderator

Your gasket was more than likely for the Chev rearend. The BOP rear was much stronger and had a different shape and gasket. Check for the bolts holding in the rear axles.(4 of them)

------------------
Gatomon
A car is cheaper than a girlfriend. Better than a wife. If it gives you trouble you can park it and forget about it!