Old 11-22-2000, 08:03 PM
Senior Chief

Well I've had my CHAD for the day now it's time to get down to some serious business. Are any of you guys using a Griffin Alum. Radiator? I am looking for a good alum radiator to put in my sons 67 Tempest. I'm looking at the Griffin 2 row with 1" tubes. I would assume that there are some modifications to be made to install it. Can anyone give me some input on it's quality and effectiveness, and how it fits.Appreciate any and all input. Dennis B

Old 11-22-2000, 08:03 PM
Senior Chief

Well I've had my CHAD for the day now it's time to get down to some serious business. Are any of you guys using a Griffin Alum. Radiator? I am looking for a good alum radiator to put in my sons 67 Tempest. I'm looking at the Griffin 2 row with 1" tubes. I would assume that there are some modifications to be made to install it. Can anyone give me some input on it's quality and effectiveness, and how it fits.Appreciate any and all input. Dennis B

Old 11-23-2000, 12:18 AM
Senior Chief

Dennis I have got a great radiator for you!
I found this out by doing a random search on radiators last year. My dad has a 11.1 472 pontiac that pumps out 700 H.P. I tried two different radiators(one a 6 row custom) and it would still over heat.I installed a radiator from Performance Bodies
http://www.perfprmancebodies .com
PH.# 1-800-racing 1or 1-800-722-1506
P.O.BOX 427
Cedar Falls,Ia.
It was a HOWE radiator
PN.342E
Measurments 19x31x3
all aluminum construction
Now the best Part $184.95 &S.H.
These people are very helpful and give great service.
Now his car can idle all day without overheating and is about 30 lbs.lighter to boot.I have a griffin in my 1952 street rod and this is a much better piece for the money.Fabricate a shroud & run a good fan.
Later Mark B.

------------------

Old 11-23-2000, 12:22 AM
Senior Chief

Correction*** http://www.performanceboies.com
Thank's Mark B.

------------------

Old 11-23-2000, 12:25 AM
Senior Chief

http://www.performancebodies.com
Third times a charm!

------------------

Old 11-23-2000, 03:17 AM
Senior Chief

Cruiser, the HOWE sounds like the ticket. Let me know what mods you had to make and what car it was installed in. The price sounds good. Seeeeeeee Ya.

Old 11-23-2000, 12:35 PM
Senior Chief

Dennis it was installed in a 79 T/A They make this radiator in several sizes.I made my own shroud out of sheet aluminum.Mock it up with cardboard first.
I used electric fans I checked the cfm ratings of the fan & discovered that a single16-18 inc electric fan moved more air and drew less amps than 2 smaller units. You can attach the shroud directly to the upper & lower bracing of the radiator itself.just be carefull when you drill any holes(I always place a piece of sheet steel between the brace & any delicate areas of the radiator while drilling).You could run without a shroud but you won't have the airflow.I made my own mounts out of 2"aluminum flat stock attached to the stock mounting holes/you can use cut sheet rubber to insulate.or modify the stock insulators.the only thing you need to watch at least on a T/A is the steering box clearance concerening your shroud.When you kick on the fan you can feel the airflow when standing in front of the car!!
As soon as I can scrape enough money together I am going to put one in my own T/A.I weighed the copper core fen unit 50LBS. vs. the new unit18 lbs.
Later Mark B.

------------------